Stupid idea maybe.

Reaction score
I received my p3p at Christmas and loving it. I was thinking of adding hdmi to my remote. To view on my big screen in the house. The question is can I mount some kind of antenna to the roof maybe and run it into the living room, connect it to controller and fly from the couch? My kids would love this.

Not while maintaining line of sight with your aircraft (unless your looking out the window). People do it, me included (in remote areas and/or on private property in my case. I wont say stupid but i wouldnt say its a good idea from your couch in populated areas.

Id look for options to send the hdmi over wifi and fly from outside. Would be monumentally difficult to get the signal from your remote through an external antenna.

Setting up remote antennas is far from trivial. At GHz frequencies, the cables and connectors lose quite a bit of power. So in order to even keep up the power levels you are accustomed to, you would need amplifiers on the transmitter and preamps on the receiver. You might also need steerable antennas - a whole new level of complexity.

Used to do this with amateur radio satellites - had quite the setup. Cost easily double of the Phantom.

You might just want to get your kids to go outside. Rumor is that it is even good for you.

Kids are outdoors all the time.
Just figured it might be cool for them.
Guess it's no feasible to add it.
Thanks for the replies.

If you use an iDevice, perhaps you can flip the video to an Apple TV or Mac via one of the many screen sharing programs or AirPlay. Android likely has a similar feature set.... You would not get the real time control but you could view the FPV.

I received my p3p at Christmas and loving it. I was thinking of adding hdmi to my remote. To view on my big screen in the house. The question is can I mount some kind of antenna to the roof maybe and run it into the living room, connect it to controller and fly from the couch? My kids would love this.
Not a good idea. Think of safety first.

Reactions: andrewrobinson
Yes, if your device has Cellular and you get a SIM card, you can now stream your Phantom 3 video to YouTube live.

RedHotPoker

If you use an iDevice, perhaps you can flip the video to an Apple TV or Mac via one of the many screen sharing programs or AirPlay. Android likely has a similar feature set.... You would not get the real time control but you could view the FPV.

Get a chromecast and use the mirror casting mode. You will be outside while your smartphone/device streams over the wifi to your Chromecasted LCD/TV.

Yes, if your device has Cellular, you can buy a SIM card and stream your Phantom 3 video live to your YouTube channel. Here's a short instructional video.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Phantazmk
I think most of you are kind of missing his point. He does not want to just send the feed to a TV in the house -- he wants to fly it FROM the couch... basically have the controller in his hands on the couch, but have the antennas that communicate with the drone outside.

I have never tried removing the antennas from the RC. If they can be removed without too much trouble then I imagine they could be extended outside with dual coax cable, using a good low loss cable like lmr-200.

Last edited:
Not missing it at all, just posting the easiest way to get from the remotes hdmi, to the TV's hdmi.
As far as flying from the couch, other then the possible legal issues (Canada), turning a $1000+ US drone into a video game for kids - may not be the best idea.

First crack the remote case, and remove the antenna cables, put in 2 new cables in their place. Make 2 holes in the remote case for the connectors on your new cables. There are youtube videos on this (for adding external antennas).
-Now the fun part. you need 2, 2.4 GHZ outdoor Omni antennas for the roof, the higher the gain the more the signal will be along the ground - fly up and loose signal. So low gain outdoor Omni antennas. The stock antenna cables are ~4 inches long, you will need (couch to roof) far longer then that, so signal losses will be massive. You will need 2.4 GHZ bi directional amplifiers on each antenna line, close to the antennas. You may need a second amp near the remote - more is not better, an they will cause noise in the signal, and amplify each others noise as well as the signal. Likely low gain at the remote, high gain (on the amplifiers) at the antennas. To get longer range you need high gain antennas, which will prevent you from flying above the house. Because you are sitting inside on the couch, you will not be able to aim an antenna, you will likely have signal issues. it is also possible to put amplifiers on the drone as well. An amp on the drone will deplete the battery faster as well as increase weight, which causes the motors to fun faster and further deplete the batteries.

I think most of you are kind of missing his point. He does not want to just send the feed to a TV in the house -- he wants to fly it FROM the couch... basically have the controller in his hands on the couch, but have the antennas that communicate with the drone outside.

I have never tried removing the antennas from the RC. If they can be removed without too much trouble then I imagine they could be extended outside with dual coax cable, using a good low loss cable like lmr-200.

There is a reason why it is seldom a good idea to buy someone a puppy for Christmas......

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

RedHotPoker

Just get YouTube on the TV or hook up a ps3 with YouTube and live stream it

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics