Stops in mid flight

Reaction score
Hello, as many others with p3s’s I’ve lost alot of signal distance, from 2 kilometres to around 300 meters, I keep checking the forum for a definitive answer to this issue, but nothing yet.
As with this issue my bird also displays weird flight characteristics, when it’s flying even in a straight line altitude doesn’t matter,it will “shutter”, stop for a second and then continue on it’s way .
It might do this a few times in a hundred meter stretch. When it does this ,it’s a hard stop, you see it doing a pendulum movement and hear the props revving, I still have good signal strength, I’m kinda thinking it’s related.
I sense that it thinks it’s losing signal and stops and then quickly continues on,
I haven’t seen any other posts about this and am wondering if it’s a known problem.
Any help,answers or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

My two P3S’s haven’t exhibited any issues like you have experienced. But, they are on very old firmware, as is my GoApp.

Many pilots don’t have issues when updating firmware and the app, but I don’t want to risk it. Mine still have great distance and none of that GeoFencing garbage.

Two questions: What firmware are you on, and (2) have you tried to downgrade firmware to one that worked previously?

Hi Captain, I have done the firmware downgrade to 1.05 and my camera gimbal wouldn’t work properly, it was weird, I tried it twice, then I went up the ladder with no difference regarding signal loss, I’m currently at the latest 1.09 I think,

Not sure on the app. But, if the firmware loaded ok, maybe do a gimbal calibration to be sure, along with the IMU calibration. Just guessing here....

Ya, did all the calibrations, with no effect, so for some reason the 1.05 won’t work for me, I deleted it off my computer in case it was corrupt or incomplete and downloaded it again and it did the same thing.
I don’t know anymore.
All I can really say is I miss my old drone

I’d speculate that DJI has engineered the firmware and the app in such a way that each must be compatible with each version to ‘play well together’ . But, this may not be true because many use litchi with no issues. Like I said before....just guessing here.

Maybe try 1.5.70 and see how it shakes out?

I just checked my computer, I downloaded all the firmware versions, and that’s the one that affects the gimbal negatively, I know exactly what you mean about compatibility between both units,
I’ve deleted and reinstalled the app numerous times to try and address this issue,I’m out of ideas.
The weirdest thing about it is, it happened overnight. One day it was fine and then the very next day nothing but troubles.there were no crashes, nothing. I’ve spent alot of time changing firmware and then driving to this open field I like to fly in. I suppose I could spend a few hundred dollars on sd cards, one for each version and just stay out there all day, haha...
Thanks for the reply Cap...

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Wow, that’s wild that the version I suggested is the culprit. Strange. Maybe try another location away from interference and see what that does. My older P3S is mostly stock with a windsurfer on the r/c. Range is pretty much normal. My other bird has a Itelite DBS on the r/c and does much better in distance runs. But, altitude is key here. Higher is better for a stronger signal I’ve found.

Keep searching for a solution both here and on the DJI forum. Gotta be a way to fix this. Don’t give up. [emoji106]

Reactions: Stazz
Hello, as many others with p3s’s I’ve lost alot of signal distance, from 2 kilometres to around 300 meters, I keep checking the forum for a definitive answer to this issue, but nothing yet.
As with this issue my bird also displays weird flight characteristics, when it’s flying even in a straight line altitude doesn’t matter,it will “shutter”, stop for a second and then continue on it’s way .
It might do this a few times in a hundred meter stretch. When it does this ,it’s a hard stop, you see it doing a pendulum movement and hear the props revving, I still have good signal strength, I’m kinda thinking it’s related.
I sense that it thinks it’s losing signal and stops and then quickly continues on,
I haven’t seen any other posts about this and am wondering if it’s a known problem.
Any help,answers or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

I have noticed that, ever since my P3S was brand new, it has done something similar. It’s not as dramatic as yours, but as it flies, it seems to forget that it’s supposed to be going as fast as I am telling it to with the stick. Every 50’ too 100’, it wont “put on the brakes”, but it does “let off the gas”. I hear the change in prop speed and engine revs, too. I just thought it was normal in GPS mode, and maybe it wouldn’t do it in ATTI mode. I haven’t tried ATTI, though.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the number of satellites the phantom connects with. I usually see 9 or 10.

I have a Phantom Standard and I have noticed since the last DJI GO app update (v3.1.28 installed)that I have lost range in my flights in wide open areas. I loose signal on/off many times during most of my flights and luckily the RTH kicks in when I doesn't regain signal.

I’m starting to think DJI is operating like Apple.. making it so if you want a unit that will operate properly you need to purchase a newer model.
And these deficiencies are created thru mischievous software/firmware updates.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
My guess would be compatibility between firmware versions and app updates. I think they have designed it so if you update the app, you MUST update firmware or you lose distance and altitude features.

Older firmware versions like both of my P3S’s have work very well with the older GoApp version I’m running. I’d wager that if I update the app, it wouldn’t fly, or be limited until I updated the firmware to keep in stride with each other. That’s just a guess on my part however.

I call it the “DJI Phantom Leash”. If you don’t comply, the leash gets shorter, limiting your range and control. A bird in a cage.

It’s all a matter of DJI control over what we can or cannot do. I don’t plan on updating anything anytime soon. They fly too well to risk it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94