Stay away from the Parrot Disco if you are thinking about buying it.

Reaction score
My advice to you is that you avoid this drone at all costs. I have had two shut down in mid flight. Two. The support is sketchy at best and apparently this is more wide spread then they would have you believe. I wanted to believe that this thing would be good. Its not. It is having some serious hardware issues and I would hold off until they fix them .

Yep, I will never again trust a toy company to build a drone that does not randomly shut down during flight.

Playing Devil's Advocate, I've seen plenty of videos with great flight footage from the Parrot Disco. Looks like a great fixed wing drone with some great features. The new Skycontroller looks good, and the FPV aspect looks pretty good. And the battery lasts 40 minutes +.

That being said, I believe the distance is capped at 2km, which is 1.3 miles (still pretty far).

Would I rather spend my $1200 on a P4 or Mavic ? Yes (emphatically), but the Parrot Disco is still some cool technology. When DJI drones are perfect, then we can all take shots at companies like Parrot and Yuneec. DJI drones have issues as well though.

That's the funny part. There is almost zero bad press on it. Nothing. Can you think of a product out there that has zero complaints unless its scrubbed from the internet? I cant. Weird how people complain about anything and there is nothing on this drone that is bad. I am such a conspiracy theorist. But the truth is there is someone to complain about something and you cant find anything when you google disco problems.

Also, the battery gets about 25-30 minutes in a real world (with wind environment). The controller is not that good and has cut out less then 500 yards from me.

p.s I own a phantom 3 and the disco.

Last edited:
I was planning to buy disco for its speed and battery life. I will wait.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I was planning to buy disco for its speed and battery life. I will wait.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I would wait until they address the problems with it. I will never buy a parrot product again after this. Seems to be issues with the controller and app across the model lineup. Same issues as mine. They just drop out of the sky. When I get my replacement it is going straight to ebay. I will buy a mavic instead. Shame on me for buying a drone at a professional price from a toy company.

Stick with DJI, that is pretty much my motto.
I agree. It would be fantastic if DJI would build an FPV airplane. I have NO doubt its level of sophistication would be the same as BeBop vs Phantom/Mavic. I don't know if DJI has anything of that genre on the drawing board, but I really, really hope they do.

An FPV airplane with DJI attention to detail, OccuSync, and a Mavic-type gimbal? Jeez, I'd write them a check today.

Funny I haven't had any problems with my disco or the app. I've flown it about a dozen times without a single issue. I get anywhere from 2000-2800 feet before losing video feed. I have all tHe phantoms from the 1 to the 4 and the disco is so much more fun to fly. If it drops from the sky or has some other major malfunction I'll come back to post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas Cole
i did have a problem with the skycontroller. Two buttons got stuck and wouldn't pop back up. parrot swapped it for a new one and it has worked fine..

Toddf when you say it shut down during flight did the motor stop working? It sounds like your disco was defective. It has a one year warranty. Btw I had to send two of my phantom 3 in for repairs due to the cracked shell issues. Dji also had a problem with reported flyaways with the earlier phantom models although I've never had a problem (other than cracked shell) with any of my phantoms.

Toddf when you say it shut down during flight did the motor stop working? It sounds like your disco was defective. It has a one year warranty. Btw I had to send two of my phantom 3 in for repairs due to the cracked shell issues. Dji also had a problem with reported flyaways with the earlier phantom models although I've never had a problem (other than cracked shell) with any of my phantoms.

The entire system appears to shut down. The drone has been totaled and the last time when I attached flight data that showed it all stopping mid flight they said they replaced it as a courtesy finding nothing wrong with the drone..... This one I have a 27 second video and it did the same thing. Dropped out of the sky. I have emailed adorama and asked them that when I get a new factory replacement that I send it in and they put me on the mavic list. Parrot is a toy company. Plain and simple. This drone is not "un-crashable". What goes up must come down, I just wish I had control over it.

Funny I haven't had any problems with my disco or the app. I've flown it about a dozen times without a single issue. I get anywhere from 2000-2800 feet before losing video feed. I have all tHe phantoms from the 1 to the 4 and the disco is so much more fun to fly. If it drops from the sky or has some other major malfunction I'll come back to post.
I flew over 43 flights with my first one and it was flawless. I was actually impressed to the point of showing it off to a potential buyer. Thats when the first one crashed. Second one comes in and actually thought about just listing it on ebay and taking a loss and I flew it. I did all the firmware updates and the app updates and It flew for 27 seconds. I was impressed with how it flew the first 43 flights. I am not impressed with when being given evidence parrot tells the "Nothing wrong with the drone". Really? I have flight data showing you otherwise.

I sent in my phantom and have actually had a wonderful experience with DJI. Full gimbal replacement and shell. I was actually bracing for the horror story treatment I read about. Was rather good actually.

These are all from amazon.com on the reviews of the disco. It appears my exact same issues are happening elsewhere.

"I am so disappointed in this expensive purchase and Parrot's support, I wish I could rank this product with negative stars.

After reading the manual and setting up, the drone was launched from our half acre of grass front lawn. At first all seemed great as it took off easily and moved right into loitering above us. However several times I encountered a "drone disconnected" message on screen even though the drone was only a few houses down.

Finally it ended in a crash as we noticed a piece of the right wing come off. First a drone disconnected message came on screen and it came down three houses away in a strange spiral. It crashed hard into many pieces. That was not in the manual.

After calling Parrot support I am told that my story does not match the "flight data" and that they reviewed my property and the 1/2 acre of grass front lawn is inadequate to launch and land the drone ( not that it actually landed where we were ). So for $1,300 we got about twenty minutes of drone flying."

"It was very fun to use! However I only took it out twice before the sky controller 2 stopped working! Parrot support was friendly but ultimately had no idea what happened or how to fix it so I returned it and planned on purchasing another one... Until I read the other bad experiences of Disco owners. I've decided for the same price to purchase the DJI Mavic which will come with 3 batteries"

"Parrot claims maximum range is 2000 meters or 1.24 miles. With clear air line of sight, maximum distance in real life was 500 to 1000 feet, even with the controller pointed directly at the aircraft. On the second flight, the Disco reported "Drone Disconnected" or "Max Range Exceeded" at 1000 feet distance max in clear air line of sight. Upon receiving "Drone Disconnected", and with 85% battery remaining, the Disco circled a few times and then crashed. To say I am disappointed is to understate. We awaited this delivery anxiously; perhaps the lesson here is "never buy anything at Version 1.0."

"Not ready for prime time. It is the quickest way to loose $1300.00"

"No support, they will make every effort to avoid fixing damage there app and controller caused."

Well I'm still flying my disco without any issues (fingers crossed). I have about 40 flights.. I will provide periodic updates and if it fails in flight I'll be back to post my experience. Every product has a failure rate. I'm hoping most issues have been isolated and the vast majority are flying without issues

Reactions: Toddf
The way I see it is if you want a camera bird get DJI they are proven and they continue to bring out good quality products, if you want a toy drone don't spend a lot of money get one for less than 100 like a syma for example. I know the disco is a plane but i'm more talking about parrot the company. Anyway, get a cheap toy one to mess around with and if it breaks you wont lose much sleep over it because you didn't pay much for it as apposed to buying a disco or bebop and being disappointed that you spent all that money.

Well I'm still flying my disco without any issues (fingers crossed). I have about 40 flights.. I will provide periodic updates and if it fails in flight I'll be back to post my experience. Every product has a failure rate. I'm hoping most issues have been isolated and the vast majority are flying without issues

I was shipped a brand new replacement unit from Parrot and promptly returned that to where I purchased it from. I had over 33 flights without a problem and the thing is a lot of fun to fly. But seeing they just cut the price down to $999 tells me they are not selling too many. I know my two ended up in France because they called me to get my encryption key. In the end Parrot made good and sent me a second replacement, but I agree with the statement just above this. It is a toy company.

My advice to you is that you avoid this drone at all costs. I have had two shut down in mid flight. Two.

hell even my Propel Zipp Nano that I got from Costco for $25 doesn't do that.

Well that's not true, the first one did. Come to think of it, the second one did too.

Ok, the third one was solid though.

My third Propel Zipp Nano doesn't shut off, mid-flight

Reactions: Wilbur
I feel like this thing would be a fantastic long-range mapping tool (although the reviews seem to say the range is kind of limited) but not so great as a videography/photography unit, just because it has to move a lot faster than a quadcopter and has a much larger turning radius.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31