Starting to dislike seagulls!

Lol.. I was up near Boone, NC... 2/3 little chimney Swifts (what I call them) kept doing tight 360’s around my 4...

32863F37-B7AF-4C90-BFFE-D2A9EA34462D.jpeg

You guys are saying birds are a pain for your flights Mother Nature was here first and we are invading their territory so it’s only natural they get defensive.

I was flying at the beach and attracted the attention of a flock of seagulls. The first couple of times they went for my P4 I did what I usually do and climbed. I think they got wise to that and the next thing I know I’ve got seagulls circling above and one from each side attacking.
I tried descending but they just steepened their descent, claws out. I realised I was in trouble and flicked to sport mode and shot sideways, then realised I was about to hit trees and did an emergency stop. Little b*stards followed it right to where i landed next to my car. Scary to see them figure it out so fast! I’ve also had seagulls attack my drone over a friend’s house, a couple of miles from the beach, i guess they saw it and made a beeline!

This behaviour is really annoying since i mostly fly over water to avoid our onerous drone rules (can’t fly over ANY property without getting permission from owner AND occupier)

Yes, those birds can sure be a problem. Recently, I was nowhere near any woods and having a bird show up was the last thing I anticipated on my flight. However, when operating my P4P at about 400 feet, a brown hawk cruised past and then came back for another look........circling, it came closer and I just began descending and the hawk flew off.

I've also had eagles come by and take a peek at my Phantom as I often fly over a large river where there are lots of ospreys and eagles.

I guess all we can do is to be on a sharp lookout for large birds(including seagulls) that can result in you crashing your drone.

Reactions: Blacksheepbiker
Here
I was flying at the beach and attracted the attention of a flock of seagulls. The first couple of times they went for my P4 I did what I usually do and climbed. I think they got wise to that and the next thing I know I’ve got seagulls circling above and one from each side attacking.
I tried descending but they just steepened their descent, claws out. I realised I was in trouble and flicked to sport mode and shot sideways, then realised I was about to hit trees and did an emergency stop. Little b*stards followed it right to where i landed next to my car. Scary to see them figure it out so fast! I’ve also had seagulls attack my drone over a friend’s house, a couple of miles from the beach, i guess they saw it and made a beeline!

This behaviour is really annoying since i mostly fly over water to avoid our onerous drone rules (can’t fly over ANY property without getting permission from owner AND occupier)
Here are some close encounters, a few intimidation tactics used @ :58, 1:11, & 4:18

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Blacksheepbiker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31