Seagulls chasing drones

I think this poster is just trolling to get a reaction, .........................

................................................................................................................
I disagree - I think you are under-estimating how stupid, self-centered, self-destructive and vicious some people can be.

................................................................................................................
I disagree - I think you are under-estimating how stupid, self-centered, self-destructive and vicious some people can be.
Unfortunately, you might be making an accurate statement. But, I don't think stupid is involved here.
Check out the OP's profile page and look at his posts. This is not a simple minded person who doesn't grasp things. That's the scary part. I'm really not trying to be judgmental but, it does make you wonder what people like this are thinking, when they seem to be oblivious to what a common sense person would get immediately.

Unfortunately, you might be making an accurate statement......... This is not a simple minded person who doesn't grasp things. That's the scary part. .........

I am having a bad feeling that you are 100% correct !

Leave the damned birds alone and find yourself a nice hobby like checkers.

My test flights after the latest formware were on some bluffs at the beach. My drone was attacked by multiple seaguls. They cane from out of nowhere to chase me down. Sport mode was not fast enough to out run them ( at least with the now slower sport mode) luckily I was able to land ok and stoped flying for the day. This has never happened before I suspect its the time of year when they must have young nesting.. I'm sure they would take it down if they wanted to.

It's not like birds care about the FAA rules, they love flying near airports and getting sucked into jet engines. Birds are kind of like suicidal terrorists who will fly into airplane engines and make them crash into rivers.
Maybe birds do not have access to the internet to browse the FAA website.

Reactions: anotherlab
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
i just flew into them, was me vs nature, p4 won!

Anyone ever tried messing with birds or seagulls with the drone? I've tried with pigeons roosting on a roof and they just fly away, looks like a huge explosion of birds. Some sea birds will fly away.

But there are some seagulls who will defend their turf, usually squawk a bunch of times. It's like a different sound though, like the seagull is in distress or defense mode, not just squawking for no reason. Then it will fly and chase after the drone, which I have to put into sport mode. And the seagulls can keep up with the drone in sport mode, and I have some good footage of the birds flying after the drone.

Everyone laughs when they see the seagull chasing the drone, since I'm usually at a beach with bunch of people. It's cool to get a bird to chase the drone, but can a seagull ever attack something like a Phantom 4? Most the time they just chase it and do a big swoop over it and act like they're going to touch but never do. Seems like they're bluffing all the time like they will attack it, but most of them don't.

But if they do touch it or attack it, will the seagull get chopped by the blades or will they actually take it down? I heard on other forums that seagulls will take down smaller drones like the DJI Spark. Maybe b/c that's like if a sparrow were to pick on a fight with a seagull. While the drone is about the size of the seagull.

Not funny, cute, appropriate, kind and puts your drone at risk of damage only because of your own poor judgement and ignorance. [emoji53]

Reactions: pomonabill220
Strange that you have a bird for your avatar. Do you also chase cats' and dogs' with your car? If you really want the full animal chase experience you should go to Spain and do the running of the bulls, that should get your adrenaline flowing.

My instructor for CAA certificate was flying in the spring and went near a tree where, unbeknownst to him, a pair of buzzards had a nest. One of them came out after the drone with the result that both drone and buzzard ended up in pieces. It was not nice. Do NOT harass birds or any other animals! They are defending a territory, not playing games.

Reactions: pomonabill220
Guys why do you love bashing so much !and some of you are not only rude but ignorant of the facts .
This drone prevents geese from pooping in the water
Not all authorities are against scaring wildlife .
Five species of gull commonly occur in the United Kingdom, but only 3, the Greater Black-Backed (Larus marinus), the Lesser Black-Backed (Larus fuscus) and the Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) are regarded as pests and can be removed under the General Licence.
Personally I love hearing and seeing gulls when I go to the seaside ,not so keen on the inland refuse bag raiding ones that live on the landfill sites ,and think it's bad news to scare wildlife in most circumstances however I dislike the way people forum members who without knowing all the facts ,start bashing people as if they were some sort of Authority and have never sinned themselves,treat people how you would like to be treated .

Last edited:
Anyone ever tried messing with birds or seagulls with the drone? I've tried with pigeons roosting on a roof and they just fly away, looks like a huge explosion of birds. Some sea birds will fly away.

But there are some seagulls who will defend their turf, usually squawk a bunch of times. It's like a different sound though, like the seagull is in distress or defense mode, not just squawking for no reason. Then it will fly and chase after the drone, which I have to put into sport mode. And the seagulls can keep up with the drone in sport mode, and I have some good footage of the birds flying after the drone.

Everyone laughs when they see the seagull chasing the drone, since I'm usually at a beach with bunch of people. It's cool to get a bird to chase the drone, but can a seagull ever attack something like a Phantom 4? Most the time they just chase it and do a big swoop over it and act like they're going to touch but never do. Seems like they're bluffing all the time like they will attack it, but most of them don't.

But if they do touch it or attack it, will the seagull get chopped by the blades or will they actually take it down? I heard on other forums that seagulls will take down smaller drones like the DJI Spark. Maybe b/c that's like if a sparrow were to pick on a fight with a seagull. While the drone is about the size of the seagull.

IMHO, you exemplify the problem of amateurs being allowed to fly drones. Rather than accepting responsibility for your own actions you point your finger everywhere else. I say this not only in response to your OP but in regard to your other remarks throughout this thread. Do us all a favor and stop flying, please!

Guys why do you love bashing so much !and some of you are not only rude but ignorant of the facts .
This drone prevents geese from pooping in the water
Not all authorities are against scaring wildlife .
Five species of gull commonly occur in the United Kingdom, but only 3, the Greater Black-Backed (Larus marinus), the Lesser Black-Backed (Larus fuscus) and the Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) are regarded as pests and can be removed under the General Licence.
Personally I love hearing and seeing gulls when I go to the seaside ,not so keen on the inland refuse bag raiding ones that live on the landfill sites ,and think it's bad news to scare wildlife in most circumstances however I dislike the way people forum members who without knowing all the facts ,start bashing people as if they were some sort of Authority and have never sinned themselves,treat people how you would like to be treated .
There's alot more to it than "bashing" as you call it. Just because there are instances of the authorities using devices to scatter birds that can cause grief in certain circumstances, doesn't give license to harass them as the OP seems to be stating. Read the posts thoroughly and you too will be less "ignorant of the facts". Have a nice day.

Reactions: JeanMcK
Unfortunately I did read the posts thoroughly ,I'm not the one quoting migratory birds law etc .I will learn not to waste my time by asking such opinionated people to at least do a little more research before acting like they know it all when quite obviously they don't .I am having a nice day thank you !and I hope you do to .

Unfortunately I did read the posts thoroughly ,I'm not the one quoting migratory birds law etc .I will learn not to waste my time by asking such opinionated people to at least do a little more research before acting like they know it all when quite obviously they don't .I am having a nice day thank you !and I hope you do to .
I shall sir! Your "opinion" has been noted. ;)

Well that would be a first on this forum !,on a happier not what you riding ?(avatar)?

Well that would be a first on this forum !,on a happier not what you riding ?(avatar)?
Avatar pic is a '50 panhead, that I bobbed. Regular ride is a ultra classic. Back can't take too much pounding on a rigid frame, nowadays.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31