Today I learned a lesson.

I use map like 1% of the time, rest is radar.

Show us those whaaale photos :)

The Android version of the app gives you the option of map or radar but not both.
Not quite correct, both are available at the same time on my Android device:
Archos 101b Oxygen
go4Andr.JPG

A couple of extra things you can add to the lesson ....

Even if you can't see your Phantom and don't know exactly where it is, you have an instrument that helps.
The radar display shows you where your Phantom is and which way it is pointing.
i-zZsVqLX-M.png

Here the Phantom is out in front of the operator and just a little off to the right. It's pointing straight out to sea away from home which is at the centre of the radar display.
It's a simple matter to use the left stick to turn the Phantom until it's pointing directly at the centre of the circle and then push the right stick forward.
Or you could use RTH.

Ding ding ding - that's ringing alarm bells
Never launch or attempt to land on a steel (including reinforced concrete) surface.
I'm not sure how you've managed to get away if you do this regularly. If I put my Phantom on a car roof, I get a compass error every time.
Also if I bring the Phantom down close to a steel roof, reinforced concrete etc
i-rrXCNS6-M.png

There have been lots of lost or crashed Phantoms as a result of messing up the compass by launching from on top of steel
If you are planning some beach flying, use a folded towel, some cardboard etc as a launch pad.
(One of those big plastic saucers for big plastic plant pots works very well)

As mentioned above, hand catching is perfect for situations where a landing is not a good choice - long grass, rocky terrain, sandy areas, on a boat, etc.

If flying offshore 30% probably isn't conservative enough - it's an unforgiving environment out there.
The sort of lesson that has you holding your breath and watching the battery indicator ticking down is the kind of lesson that has a lasting effect on you.
You had a memorable flight, learned something and possibly got some memorable images?

ps ... by now southern hemisphere humpback whales have just about finished their warm water holiday and most are already heading south, back to Antarctica where they can eat again. (They don't eat at all during their time up north)
The mothers with calves are the last to go back south.

I Really really enjoyed this post..and i have learned quite a lots too.Thank You.

Ben01 just tap the top right corner of the map box and the radar will pop up .

Reactions: Nesher
I had a really good day droning today in a little beach town a couple of hours from where I live. I decided to make the most of recent nice weather and take the phantom out for some happy snaps.

Well right near the end of the day something incredible happened (that we had been hoping to happen). I was flying around taking photos and my partner yells at me “There are whales right there!!” - See at the moment humpback whales are making their way north up the coast of Western Australia with their babies to find warmer water and get some food!!

So at this very moment my battery was reading 34%. Being a very safe person, I’ve always set my battery alarm to 30% to bring it home. Well, I took off to the whales, following them up the coast and waiting, waiting and waiting for them to breach to take some snaps. 2 adults and one calf. The battery alarm goes off and I decided to ignore it for a while. Then, it happened - one by one they start breaching the water surface and I happily snap away as i continually fly away from home. My battery then reads 23% and I panic. Stupidly I turn the drone to the right and see land - immediately thinking that’s where I am and I head straight for it. Except I haven’t realised I am actually heading in the complete wrong direction and flying further away. As I approach the land I find it quite strange that I can’t hear it. I look down and freak out when I see I’m 700 metres from home .

I realise what I’ve done and turn around heading up the coast into a stiff head wind when the controller takes over and tells me it is activating RTH otherwise I will not arrive back in time. I’m really panicked at this stage and what felt like an eternity I look down and see I’m still 600m from home.

A few very anxious moments later and it’s 300m and I feel like I’m half a chance. I’m thinking about all these stories of people who’s drones drop out of the sky because the controller says they’ve got 20% battery but they really don’t. When it arrived back I had 15 percent battery and I cancelled the RTH because I had taken off from the bonnet of my car as there was sand and gravel everywhere and nowhere else flat enough to launch. (I’ve done it many times).

I try land on my bonnet and the screeching of the sensors on my controller further panic me and I abort that and land in a gravel car park with dust flying everywhere. My battery read 12% and whilst I was very annoyed at landing the way I did I have never felt so relieved in my life.

Lesson learnt - BE DISCIPLINED. When you’ve always decided to come home at 30% then ALWAYS do it and make no exceptions to the rule.

DONT PANIC - all I had to do is open up the map and turn my drone back to where I was. The distance I flew away from myself was further than I had flown out to meet the whales.

This is embarrassing for me but maybe someone might read this and think twice before flying into dangerous grounds!! I realise 30% is probably very conservative for most of you but I still consider myself a rookie and inexperienced operator so I feel it always gives me more than enough time to get home (providing I stick to it!!)

I realize that it has been stated many times here but, that little radar circle in the lower left corner of your display is the handiest function available. I use it and practice with it every time I fly. Make it second nature in your flying.

Reactions: Ben01
One other item with the radar is a pitch indication (at least on my ios). There is a faint shading on the screen that changes as the a/c pitches up or down. If you quickly accelerate forward the shading "fills up" the radar screen but as the a/c levels out the shading fills half the screen. Accelerating backwards the shading only fills the bottpm of the screen.
I don't know if I've explained it well, but try it on your next flight.
Happy flying!

Good to know. My Mavic stopped dead over the middle of a lake confused by water reflection interpreted as an obstacle (the obstacle avoidance feature was on). As a newbie at that time I wasn't aware of the issue, remedies or where the screens to correct it were located or how to get to them. I really stained my britches as the battery wound down from 30%, 25, 20, 15, 10, etc. To find settings & screens I made the following cheat sheet (attached).

Attachments

• Mavic Pro GoApp4 Screens & Settings (no settings).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 492
Last edited:
I'm always trying to land at 50%. But yes. Sometimes I land closer to 45% or even 30%. And on every 20 flight I make a test flight where I go well below 10% but I fly the last 15% very close to me and very low so that I wouldn't damage my drone if it falls down.

But my question here is.
What is your workflow when you go below 50%?
I read 50% is the level you need to maintain for storage. So every time I go well bellow 50% I charge the battery to 100% and then I test fly it down to 50%.

Awesome shot of the whale and calf! Well worth the stress you went through...

I'm always trying to land at 50%. But yes. Sometimes I land closer to 45% or even 30%. And on every 20 flight I make a test flight where I go well below 10% but I fly the last 15% very close to me and very low so that I wouldn't damage my drone if it falls down..
That is very conservative. You lose a of potential flight time landing at 50%. I go with the 30% warning and begin my RTH. If I'm many miles away I may start back earlier but the beauty of the Mavic is having the extended flying time and having the confidence to utilize it.

That is very conservative. You lose a of potential flight time landing at 50%. I go with the 30% warning and begin my RTH. If I'm many miles away I may start back earlier but the beauty of the Mavic is having the extended flying time and having the confidence to utilize it.
Thank you. I agree. But would you please tell me at what level do you store your batteries in this case? Is it below 50%?

I'm always trying to land at 50%. But yes. Sometimes I land closer to 45% or even 30%. And on every 20 flight I make a test flight where I go well below 10% but I fly the last 15% very close to me and very low so that I wouldn't damage my drone if it falls down.

But my question here is.
What is your workflow when you go below 50%?
I read 50% is the level you need to maintain for storage. So every time I go well bellow 50% I charge the battery to 100% and then I test fly it down to 50%.

50% is extremely conservative. You can put warning at 30%, and land safely at 20-15%, nothing will happen, just pay attention to what you are doing.

What do you mean by this:

50% is storage level,but i dont understand the other part. What is test fly?

What do you mean by this:
50% is storage level,but i dont understand the other part. What is test fly?
I mean the battery should be discharged to 50% when you don't use it for some time. It's not advised to have it at 100% or at 20% for a longer period of time. This is why I try to discharge it to 50% when not flying.

But with a test flight I mean. I'm just flying with the drone just to discharge the battery with no special assignment other than discharging the battery.

Thank you. I agree. But would you please tell me at what level do you store your batteries in this case? Is it below 50%?
I'm not sure I understand the question. I never go anywhere with anything less than fully charged batteries so mine are always at full charge or very close to being fully charged. I use the Mavic frequently depleting the batteries flying and then re-charging them.

Last edited:
I usually fly in the mountains. And I mean real mountains with high cliffs. So in case my drone falls down I would never have a chance to collect it again.

Reactions: David_Cambridge
I'm not sure I understand the question. I never go anywhere with anything less than fully charged batteries so mine are always at full charge or very close to being fully charged.
I understand that. But when you come home to you just leave the batteries at 15% or do you charge them to 50% or 100%?

You can leave them for a week+ safely at 100% or 15%, nothing will happen to them. Storage at 50% is for long term storage. Google for LIPO batteries.

As some of us know, Li-Po cells like storage voltage about 50-60 %, that is pure physics. Thats why these intelligent DJI batteries start to discharge when not used. You may even chose how long period of storage before the discharge kicks in. RTFM. So never leave your batteries below this level, because there is no automatic charge!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl