Started in P mode, switched to ATTI mode by itself, although plenty of satellites

Reaction score
Warmed up, 9-12 satellites. Green "good to go" banner in GPS mode, start motors, "take off" and then.....

Within a few seconds (5-10), I'm given multiple warnings: "Flight mode switched to ATTI. Cannot change flight mode. Enable Multiple Flight modes in Settings. Signal lost, returning to home point" and it lands although it often never got off the ground or a few feet into the air.

All firmware is current; multiple flight mode is enabled. The controller works on my other identical P3P which functions perfectly in the same location. Performed IMU and compass calibrations Replaced the compass cable; didn't solve the problem.

When attempting to fly from a different location (open field; 10-14 satellites) it takes a bit longer (15-30 seconds) for the P3P to experience these same errors.

Problem?? Bad GPS locator component? I believe the GPS component is part of the mother board ($211 plus labor & shipping). If that's the problem, is it worth doing? Any other possible causes and solutions greatly appreciated.

Many such incidents were reported in past and later on they got resolved after FW releases. Not sure whats the actual issue with your craft but issue could be related to bad compass and wrong interpretation by the controller.

Are you flying near the high rise buildings or tall trees?

It sounds like you have a genuine issue and have covered the bases.

Have you upgraded to the new firmware (v1.11.20) posted?

If not, is it possible that you upgraded your DJI GO app? This is an easy mistake if you update all of your apps (in iTunes for an iOS device) getting the new DJI GO without really noticing it, then update your device without upgrading the FW on the AC.

That would mean that your GO app is perhaps too new, out of sync with the older firmware on the AC.

Just a guess.

Funny enough I had my first low sat warning ever the other day, I have it set to 12, i usually get at least 19 says, might have been a day of high KP maybe.

might have been a day of high KP maybe.
Good guess, but I think not in this case. I get geostorm reports to my inbox whenever there's activity and it's been a few days since there was even a G1 (low) and a couple of months I think (or at least several weeks) since a G3.

Good guess, but I think not in this case. I get geostorm reports to my inbox whenever there's activity and it's been a few days since there was even a G1 (low) and a couple of months I think (or at least several weeks) since a G3.

No probs, might have been a UK thing then for me.

Wow, thanks for all of the comments and advise: to address some of the questions.... I have two identical P3P's but only one controller. I re-bind the RC from one to the other. They have identical firmware (both upgraded yesterday as well as the remote controller and DJI GO app). The flying conditions are identical, same location (my back yard) and not near any buildings but some tall trees. The tall trees reduce the number of satellites but they both get the same number but only one of my P3P is having the problem. When flying from an open field (more satellites), it takes a few seconds longer for the failure to occur (15-30 seconds vs. 5-10 seconds). Thus I think the problem is caused or contributed by the number of satellites and the GPS unit. The problem started two weeks ago so I don't think it is connected with magnetic solar storms. Because I'm using the identical software (from the same SD card), I don't believe it has anything to do with software. So if it's a hardware problem on the motherboard, I believe it will cost around $211 (US) plus labor & shipping but I'm not 100% certain that the problem has been identified. Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Funny enough I had my first low sat warning ever the other day, I have it set to 12, i usually get at least 19 says, might have been a day of high KP maybe.
No ... the number of sats visible in your sky is changing all the time as they orbit and the earth rotates.
If a high KP had any effect at all, it would be to affect the accuracy of your GPS position fix (but not enough that you'd notice anyway).
It wouldn't affect the number of sats seen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1