Stadium flying

Reaction score
I just read a posting from someone in the USA about flying over stadiums.does anyone know whether it is OK to fly over stadiums in the UK when no games are being played, say at 0700 hrs

Don't know how the rules are with drones in the UK but flying over a stadium, even when it's empty it's prohibited in the US. Unless you are doing an advertisement for the stadium and you are part 107 certified.

Don't know how the rules are with drones in the UK but flying over a stadium, even when it's empty it's prohibited in the US. Unless you are doing an advertisement for the stadium and you are part 107 certified.
Provide information please?

Hi macoman, I thought I read somewhere that you could fly over stadiums in the USA until about 2 hours prior to a game. I am investigating whether we have a similar ruling. I do know that someone was fined for flying over a stadium in the north of England when a game was played.

Reactions: BigAl07
In regards to US Rules & Regulations to clear up some confusion up above, straight from the "simplified" FAQs on the FAA website:

Can I fly a model aircraft or UAS over a stadium or sporting events for hobby or recreation?
No. Federal law restricts UAS from flying at or below 3,000 AGL within a 3 nautical mile radius of any stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people during a Major League Baseball (MLB), regular or post-season National Football League (NFL), or NCAA Division I football game, or major motor speedway event. This temporary flight restriction applies to the entire U.S. domestic National Airspace System, and takes effect starting one hour before the scheduled event time until one hour after the event concludes. The FAA gives further detail in a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM.)

and this comes from the FAA's page on Restricted Airspace:

Stadiums and sporting events

Flying UAS in and around stadiums is prohibited starting one hour before and ending one hour after the scheduled time of any of the following events:

• Major League Baseball
  • National Football League
  • NCAA Division One Football
  • NASCAR Sprint Cup, Indy Car, and Champ Series races

Specifically, UAS operations are prohibited within a radius of three nautical miles of the stadium or venue.

Further information is available in this handout on sports TFRs (PDF).

To get more specific details you'll have to research it and be sure you get your information straight from the FAA as "Internet Interpretation" could land you with fines and or jail time.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
I've done a couple of shoots in the US over stadiums when they are empty and no TFR is in place. It was for the property or team owner, though. Wherever you are at, you should check local laws, and most importantly, get the owner's permission. Any standing controlled airspace permissions is also required, if applicable. It is NOT prohibited by regulation when the TFR is not active, but all other rules apply...and it is in your best interest to get the property owner's permission, no matter what. Don't just go fly over them on your own even with the TFR is not active...very important!!!

As BigAl has indicated, it's an absolute no go when a TFR is active and will most certainly land you in jail. Not even the team, NFL, or league can give you permission. Only the FAA....and that's highly unlikely. Many will recall the very cool opening to the Super Bowl last year with all the drones drawing things in the sky. What most don't know is that was shot a week prior to the event because the FAA WOULD NOT make an exception to the TFR during the Super Bowl itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez