Something loose in my RC

Reaction score
Hi all. So I pulled out my RC and AC today and i can hear what sounds like a loose screw rolling around inside the RC. All is functioning normally but I'm wondering how safe it is to take the RC apart and investigate. Will I potentially damage anything? Gl300C RC.

Hi all. So I pulled out my RC and AC today and i can hear what sounds like a loose screw rolling around inside the RC. All is functioning normally but I'm wondering how safe it is to take the RC apart and investigate. Will I potentially damage anything? Gl300C RC.
It has not been uncommon for parts to break off inside the RC's. Often it has been the screws on the sticks or the RTH button. It sounds like this is what happened to you as well. If it were mine, I'd open it and see if I could fix it. There are many threads on this to help you since as I said its not uncommon. In your case however, its relatively new from DJI isn't it? You may still have the option for a replacement.

Since you are not able to search with your Android device after the site redesign, here is just one example of what we’ve seen over the years:
R.C. broken

It has not been uncommon for parts to break off inside the RC's. Often it has been the screws on the sticks or the RTH button. It sounds like this is what happened to you as well. If it were mine, I'd open it and see if I could fix it. There are many threads on this to help you since as I said its not uncommon. In your case however, its relatively new from DJI isn't it? You may still have the option for a replacement.
Yes its only 2 months old directly from Dji online store. Would it best to just contact Dji about it?

Yes its only 2 months old directly from Dji online store. Would it best to just contact Dji about it?
I can only tell you what I would do. If it were mine, even if only two months from DJI, I would still open it up and try to fix it. Its just my nature I guess. I would not want to wait for a new (refurbished) one to arrive from DJI and I would not want to risk FW issues between a new (refurbished) RC and my existing AC.

This is just me, and I realize it may not be the wisest thing to do. I'm just too impatient and too risk averse wrt FW. I also don't mind if I have to buy a replacement RC or use my other RC if I ruin one.

In your case, perhaps with the winter upon you it would not be so bad to wait for a new RC.

I can only tell you what I would do. If it were mine, even if only two months from DJI, I would still open it up and try to fix it. Its just my nature I guess. I would not want to wait for a new (refurbished) one to arrive from DJI and I would not want to risk FW issues between a new (refurbished) RC and my existing AC.

This is just me, and I realize it may not be the wisest thing to do. I'm just too impatient and too risk averse wrt FW. I also don't mind if I have to buy a replacement RC or use my other RC if I ruin one.

In your case, perhaps with the winter upon you it would not be so bad to wait for a new RC.
Thanks Oso, the FW is already latest so that's not a considerstion. And I'm not gonna risk messing with it and voiding my warranty. Ive sent a message to Dji and am awaiting their response. I can wait for a new RC.

Since you are not able to search with your Android device after the site redesign,

I use Android devices and have no problem searching this site...

I've seen 3rdof5 say that before though, maybe it's the browser he's using??

Thanks Oso, the FW is already latest so that's not a considerstion. And I'm not gonna risk messing with it and voiding my warranty. Ive sent a message to Dji and am awaiting their response. I can wait for a new RC.
Sounds good.

One thing to clarify - if it were mine, I'd be worried about a FW issue since they would almost certainly send a different refurbished RC back and there's no telling what FW it would have when it arrived. Again, I realize that I am probably too paranoid about FW mismatches and issues, so please just use it as a data point for your own decision on how much risk you are comfortable with taking. Me, not too much. ;)

Good luck sir!

Reactions: 3rdof5
I use Android devices and have no problem searching this site...

I've seen 3rdof5 say that before though, maybe it's the browser he's using??
I use google chrome on a samsung S8

Dji has already responded saying my request is under review and they will be contacting me soon.

Last edited:
And just to clarify on the search issue, when I tap search, the search box pops up for less than half a second and then disappears and I'm right back to the forum view.

At the top of any page, just to the left of the PhantomPilots logo, there are three horizontal lines. Tap that and a menu drops down, Search is one of the selections on that menu.

I don't normally use Chrome but I just logged in with it, and it works the same as my normal browser.

At the top of any page, just to the left of the PhantomPilots logo, there are three horizontal lines. Tap that and a menu drops down, Search is one of the selections on that menu.

I don't normally use Chrome but I just logged in with it, and it works the same as my normal browser.
You are correct the search function works that way so that's good to know, Thanks!! The magnifying glass icon doesnt work tho.

So this is the final response from Dji:
Screenshot_20181023-094115_Email.jpg

Basically saying, so what if something is loose inside, if its not affecting anything and you still want it fixed under warranty then you're paying the shipping. Great service!!!!

So clearly that's not going to happen. Next question, should i even worry about whatever it is rattling around inside? All the buttons and sticks are solid. Nothing feels like its letting go or has come loose from their internal mounts. Is it worth taking apart or could that just potentially break something else?

loose parts rattling around in a box with electronics in it is a recipe for disaster. A loose screw can short out a board in the remote (probably at the worst possible moment). I'd open it and figure out what came loose and remove it. It might have been holding something that needed holding.

Reactions: Oso
loose parts rattling around in a box with electronics in it is a recipe for disaster. A loose screw can short out a board in the remote (probably at the worst possible moment). I'd open it and figure out what came loose and remove it. It might have been holding something that needed holding.
I tend to agree. The risk of doin nothing outweighs the risk of opening it.

Update. I watched a youtube video on dissasembling the RC and it was easy. Nothing broke, all the screws came out and went back in without damaging any of the plastic posts. The mysterious piece rattling around inside was the nut that holds the lower (center of the RC) part of the device holder/mount. It simply came loose and fell off. Good thing I investigated at that metal nut could definitely caused a short on the board. All fixed now tho!!! Thanks everyone!!! :)

Reactions: Loz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.