Someone shot my camera what do I do?

I see the man standing there, but I can't make out if he is holding a firearm or not. I'd be interested in what the police would say by looking at that image!

♦️For those talking about FAA laws, how do you know this is in the USA? I have read through this multiple times. As people have asked, the original poster jumps over this question multiple times.

No point in me re-asking where this took place.

If you didn’t register the aircraft with the FAA, then it’s just a model aircraft and local laws apply. If it’s registered with the FAA then it’s an aircraft and falls under the same laws as if he shot at a manned aircraft and the FAA could pursue it if it wanted to.

......Wow! And ****! You have rights and looks like someone crossed the line! Tell him you have the video or pics of him aiming and taking FIRE..you want a brand new Phantom or $$$....within a certain period of time or else you go see Andy Taylor! (Or at least demand he replace the camera on it!).. Good Luck!

The Shooter broke federal law and as such you need to contact the Federal Aviation Administration and report the incident. They are the ones who have jurisdiction over this case. It is illegal to shoot at any aircraft in the air, regardless of aircraft type. It makes no difference where you were flying or any of that. You could possibly be held as well if you cover up the crime and do not report it to the FAA. You could be seen as a co-conspirator in the shooting by not turning this guy in. Do not get the camera fixed as the FAA will probably want to examine lens and picture/video. The FAA can call in the FBI/CIA forensics teams. There very well could be more to this shooting than just some neighbor pissed off. For instance, what if the shooter is trying to hide illegal activities such as drugs or even Terrorist activities, so your drone got shot in response. It may sound far fetched to some, but better to be safe than sorry.

There are some big problems in this response,

(1) you only HAVE to file a report if the damage is (A) $500.00 or greater to property other than the RPIC’s. So he is not legally required to file an incident report because the only item damaged was the drone. (B) If bodily injury or a loss of consciousness in a bystander occurs you must file an incident report with the FAA.

(2). The problem with the picture is it is too grainy and that there is no definitive gun, he could just be pointing at the drone.

(3) you’ve had the drone two days, is it registered with the FAA displaying the registration #? If not the pilot gets fines.

(4). If operation was within 5 miles of a major airport and pilot was operating without clearance pilot could go to jail.

Consider yourself lucky it just cost the lens. Also make sure you were operating within the limits of the law before taking any action against this neighbor. Unfortunately the pictures aren’t sharp enough to be able to see a gun or an air rifle so the burden of proof lies on you and you could get counter sued. Weigh your options before doing anything.

Reactions: Nesher and ghutch
With the picture you have evidence of him in the act. I wonder if you saw him on your phone and /or heard the shot. I would call local authorities to make a complaint for willful destruction of property and file in small claims court for a replacement drone or the cost of repairs. It's easy, write your complaint,, print your photo, go down to your county government office and for a small fee ( in my county the fee was 7$ but I think there was a small increase recently). He will get a subpoena to appear in court. I would do this not to just cover the cost but as a civic duty and personal satisfaction. No lawyer needed, just like you see on Judge Judy. However having said that, if it was not over your property, I would first make sure there is no local ordinance on minimum altitude over others property' I add that because in NY a bill is up for vote by the legislator which in part makes it a violation for non commercial drone pilots to fly under 100 ft. without the owners consent which is why I got my part 107 certification. It's been a few months now that the FAA registration requirement for drones weighing less than 55 pounds has been thrown out by the court. You didn't have to register. Lastly I would check using the free B4Ufly app to make certain you were not within 5 miles of an airport as you would have to haven given prior notification to same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nesher
On some mission I have to fly over some houses. I just keep a decent altitude and keep it moving. I did have a guy call and ask if I had a drone. He was relieved it was me who owned it. I had him come over and give it a go. He has one ordered currently. Also I’m out in the country and people discharging firearms out here on their property is very common. I’m also one of the guys who collect firearm and target shoot on my farm a lot.

First of all sorry this happened. Second, to the people suggesting you call 911, 911 is for emergency calls only something that happened days ago is not an emergency and by calling you are tying up an operator who could be dealing with a true life or death emergency. I do think you should report this to the proper authorities for the good of all of us.

Well you are not flying over him, i would tell him he owes repair bill. Call the police, willing to bet he cant fire a weapon including air rifle in city limits,and file claim in small claims court.

Reactions: bad karma
Well you are not flying over him, i would tell him he owes repair bill. Call the police, willing to bet he cant fire a weapon including air rifle in city limits,and file claim in small claims court.

You have looked at the picture haven't you?

880e18a1b746a23092abaa91eb6a866f.jpg

This all I see and nothing opens.

Funny, i could swear the faa did away with the registration requirement a couple of months ago. None of mine are registered, and won't be till i go for part 107. If in the US, file charges on the *******... there are people that have gone to jail for this very act, even when someone was hovering over their back yard watching a daughter sun bathe. I'd say thats fair game, but the law sees it differently here so far.

Reactions: beb
And btw, it def looks like the guy is shouldering a rifle to me. If this happened to me, he would be steadily be replacing headlights, taillights, windows, etc till i felt things were even if the law wouldn't intervene. Regardless, the guy had no right to shoot your drone, its not like you were hovering in his face (even then... ). His actions are 100% criminal (again, in the US atleast).

Just amazed he shot the camera, even if it wasnt his first shot. Thats pretty accurate. Hope things work out.

880e18a1b746a23092abaa91eb6a866f.jpg

This all I see and nothing opens.

There's something wrong with your devices settings then - I have no idea what though - you must have some restriction set on either links or downloading media. what happens if you just tap on the pictures?

It works fine on desktop (Windows 10 PC) Tablet (Android) and Phone (Windows) here

It's my understanding that there are drone enthusiast groups who aid state legislators on drone policy. In CT, we are prohibited from flying in state parks and state owned forests period..no exceptions.
An advisory group with DJI and the feds in DC did not go well, probably because of resentment that DJI is a Chinese firm. See A U.S. drone advisory group has been meeting in secret for months. It hasn’t gone well.

See, too, this link on The “Secret” Drone Task Force Named by the Washington Post – and Why Drone Operators Should Care .

Kind of a bummer, when you neighbor shoots your drone. We need a better media image. Publicizing this incident probably won't help.
Yes, it will. Nobody has a right to damage your property while you are using it in a legal manner. If you lay down you'll be treated like a carpet. Stand up. For yourself and the rest of us. The shooters image should suffer not yours.

there are people that have gone to jail for this very act, even when someone was hovering over their back yard watching a daughter sun bathe.

All I have seen on the web is cases where the shooter was let off - has anybody really gone to jail?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl