Some people!

If you were talking to someone and they thought they knew something and everyone else says something different and he is the only one to think the opposite and thought he was right. You would probably be like me. It's hard not too, I'm sorry.

So, BigAl, that was pretty impressive. You pop in here, drop the hammer, and vanish without a trace... well, almost...

Come on gang... let's not get personal about this. It's not THAT important one way or the other.

We're on the same side here and no need to turn on each other over this :)

If you were talking to someone and they thought they knew something and everyone else says something different and he is the only one to think the opposite and thought he was right. You would probably be like me. It's hard not too, I'm sorry.

I understand that you're trying to help someone avoid a potential mistake. I get that. But I learned a long time ago that some people don't want the advice of others, even if it means they'll make mistakes. You can't reach everyone, no matter how hard you try to reason or argue with them. In situations like that, if I've done all that I can do, I recognize it for what it is, I pack it up, and move on. I realized a long, long time ago that trying to get the last word in for every situation is pointless. I've got far too many things to do and far too little time to be focused on that. Good luck.

For some people the proof they will accept is the one they only one they are looking for. They will even formulate the question to get the answer they want. If you are mind set on a answer and you ask enough questions you will eventually get the answer you are willing to accept. This guy for some reason has to hear that it's ok all the time to be around metal, as if he can't take off from somewhere else, He's on a tractor ffs! they work in a field and he can't find any other place to take off. WTF If and when it flys away he will ask the questions that will prove in his mind that he is not at fault.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Has anyone lost a drone after launching off a car. Although Ive never done it I would not have thought it to be a problem. We do a lot of commercial work in places with magnetic interference. It's nerve racking for sure to get warnings of magnetic interference. However Ive found that our birds won't even take off until we find a place where there is no interference. Do you get a warning of magnetic interference when flying off of a car? If so will it let you take off?

Also if it's a Mavic why not just hand launch and catch. With a Mavic it would be wise to put on a catch guard.

When I was on vacation, I was flying my P4PO from a 3rd floor balcony. It starts out with bad compass but I take off anyways. I resave my home point once I am off the ground away from balcony which was the cost of compass interferences. I let it hover in place above 10m to see if its stable before I fly away. It cant hover in place if GPS has a bad compass. I’m happy to report that my drone survived my 3 month vacation in a pacific island. The only thing that did not make is the stock gimble protector. My drone is up todate with updates during my vacation including the updates for the ipad pro.

When I was on vacation, I was flying my P4PO from a 3rd floor balcony. It starts out with bad compass but I take off anyways. I resave my home point once I am off the ground away from balcony which was the cost of compass interferences. I let it hover in place above 10m to see if its stable before I fly away. It cant hover in place if GPS has a bad compass. I’m happy to report that my drone survived my 3 month vacation in a pacific island. The only thing that did not make is the stock gimble protector. My drone is up todate with updates during my vacation including the updates for the ipad pro.
I've found myself in the same place in small yet safe clearings unable to get full GPS lock. Like you I simply take off, fly it safely up to the point to get GPS lock. Set the home point, and start flying. Never had an issue with this procedure. On the very few occasions that I've used return to home it has worked perfectly.

I've found myself in the same place in small yet safe clearings unable to get full GPS lock. Like you I simply take off, fly it safely up to the point to get GPS lock. Set the home point, and start flying. Never had an issue with this procedure. On the very few occasions that I've used return to home it has worked perfectly.
The P4P can hover in place without GPS below 10m. It uses the bottom sensors for that. That is why I hover above 10m to make sure I have a good GPS before flying away. Whenever I see the compass error, I always resave my homepoint after I do my hover test. My compass callibration is still factory set. I have not recallibrated my compass since I got my drone.

Do you get a warning of magnetic interference when flying off of a car? If so will it let you take off?

I have not tried that simply because of the risk involved. If I even power up my Phantoms in my hatchback, I get compass warnings. I simply take them out, set them on the ground in a safe area, wait until the warnings disappear, and then fly. Just recently, there was a raging debate going on between a member and someone who insisted that it was perfectly safe launching from his tractor.

I have not tried that simply because of the risk involved. If I even power up my Phantoms in my hatchback, I get compass warnings. I simply take them out, set them on the ground in a safe area, wait until the warnings disappear, and then fly. Just recently, there was a raging debate going on between a member and someone who insisted that it was perfectly safe launching from his tractor.
First thing I checked when flying off from 3rd floor balcony where I had compass error is the RTH. It worked for me. I always resave my homepoint everytime i see compass error after a hover test above 10m. I’m only reporting my experience. Forgot to mention that from this launch area, I had occasional auto RTH because of lost signal. Never had a problem.

Last edited:
I get warnings when taking off from any metal, vehicle or whatever and it will not let me take off. That's all I was trying to tell this guy is that it will give you warnings and would not let you take off, and if it did, something could happen, not saying it would.

Reactions: RW8888

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1