Some people!

Reaction score
So I was watching a video on YT and this guy was talking about that he would like to get a DJI Mavic because it is smaller and he could just get it out and take off from the hood or roof of the tractor. I told him that he should not do that because it could cause interference with the compass etc. He told me that it won't and that I should do my research and that he has talked to DJI and professionals about it and they say what he says. Well, I don't know what professionals he was talking to or who at DJI he was talking to. You can read our convocation in the comments of his video that I link below. The video time where he talks about taking off from the roof or hood of a tractor is 24:35. What are your thoughts?

I have asked DJI myself and this is what they said:
Untitled.png

I think someone else better do their research.

"I took off from my tractor with my mavic, saw a couple of errors and watched it fly away. Help me get it back!"
-Coming soon to the lost and found forum!

Seriously, not much you can do. Some people just won't listen, don't want to learn anything, and generally author their own misfortune. All you can do is continue to try and help people. The smart ones will listen and learn from it, others, well, they just make expensive mistakes we don't have to pay for. I'll continue to listen as I have already learned so much in the last few months from this board. Sounds like a deal to me!

Sales guy on commision. "Sure you can take off from steel or even magnets, if you lose it we will be more than happy to sell you a new one. See you soon!"
The guy will be the first to say the craft was defective.

I cringe so much when I see people flying drones and don't know how, or think they know how etc. Everything, just makes me cringe!
I could not agree any more....i believe that 100%.....good Post UP life Aerial ! I started out with a Toy $54.00 drone and i flew it for 7 months...it had No RTH or GPS.....when i purchased my P3SE.....i felt like i had went thru " how to fly a drone and be safe school " !...... i sure had quite a great time with the Toy..And i sure was ready to Graduate to a Real Drone and that i did !

I could not agree any more....i believe that 100%.....good Post UP life Aerial ! I started out with a Toy $54.00 drone and i flew it for 7 months...it had No RTH or GPS.....when i purchased my P3SE.....i felt like i had went thru " how to fly a drone and be safe school " !...... i sure had quite a great time with the Toy..And i sure was ready to Graduate to a Real Drone and that i did !
Some people seem to think they are toys, like this guy:

"Yeah it goes over 3 miles!" Unless you have lots of experience flying drones, you shouldn't be flying in amongst trees and power lines etc. from a long distance away, or even a short distance away. Plus it's illegal most places to fly that far out of VLOS.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
He told me that it won't and that I should do my research and that he has talked to DJI and professionals about it and they say what he says.

It sounds like he was blowin' smoke. I would agree with you. There's been enough discussion on this topic along with supporting evidence (and the response from DJI above) to understand that the risk is very real. If that guy wants to risk his machine, let him.

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
I cant disagree with the information supplied, but you do see a lot of the popular You Tubers flying from their vehicle roofs etc,
some just stick their travel case on the hood and use that as a landing pad,
so it must be confusing to newbies when they have watched some of the most popular "Tubers" do it.

I cant disagree with the information supplied, but you do see a lot of the popular You Tubers flying from their vehicle roofs etc,
some just stick their travel case on the hood and use that as a landing pad,
so it must be confusing to newbies when they have watched some of the most popular "Tubers" do it.
The travel case may be thick enough to protect from interference though. A lot of popular YouTube don't seem to care anyways as they are popular and probably have lots of money doing so and can just buy a new one, or beg the fans to donate money for a new one lol.

I think it is a game of Russian Roulette. Not automatic that the metal would interfere. When I first started flying, I sometimes took off from my boat dock, which is wood flooring BUT steel everywhere underneath it. I had no problems for many flights then one day I received some warnings before lifting off. I shut down and took it to nearby grass and all was good. Better to be safe, and I agree with those that suggest he may be one that just knows it all and doesn't listen to contrarian viewpoints.

It's important to know if you get "Magnetic/Compass Interference" the aircraft won't turn on in the first place. The DJI Go Ap will give you some alerts and such and the aircraft won't arm. This is DJI's way of trying to Idiot Proof the process.

We simply put our GoRpofessional carrying case on the hood and the aircraft on top of that. Easy Peasy but keep in mind if you plan to LAND on the same spot you had better be good, lucky, and/or have extra parts handy. Spot Landing isn't always as easy as it looks LOL.

I told him to call DJI and ask them and record the conversation and see what they say. He said he would give me real proof. I told him to take off from the tractor hood with GPS and compass on, and screen record the app. He will probably get errors.

I told him to call DJI and ask them and record the conversation and see what they say. He said he would give me real proof. I told him to take off from the tractor hood with GPS and compass on, and screen record the app. He will probably get errors.

Time to let it go and walk away. You tried to reason with him but he doesn't want to listen. Apparently, since a bud of his did it once, it's all good. Doesn't mean it's always gonna work.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl