Some people!

Being afraid all the time makes drone flying stressful and no fun. We fly from the car, the bridge, anywhere we feel like in any weather condition and we do this by just ( watching the controller and the messages we are getting. if we get a compass error we dont take off, if we get a magnetic error we dont fly, If its all clear, WE FLY

We made this video to demonstrate this point, at the end we take off on a glass table , with metal and the drone lets us know we are perfect for take off.
You have to trust what the drone is telling you in the air as well as on the ground. with the exception of wireless interference as that is a constant.

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
Being afraid all the time makes drone flying stressful and no fun. We fly from the car, the bridge, anywhere we feel like in any weather condition and we do this by just ( watching the controller and the messages we are getting. if we get a compass error we dont take off, if we get a magnetic error we dont fly, If its all clear, WE FLY

We made this video to demonstrate this point, at the end we take off on a glass table , with metal and the drone lets us know we are perfect for take off.
You have to trust what the drone is telling you in the air as well as on the ground. with the exception of wireless interference as that is a constant.

Very great and helpful info. From now on when I (or it) switches back to GPS (possibly), I am going to check to make sure it really is in GPS.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Just for the record, tractor hoods these days are generally fiberglass, as are many of the cab roofs. Mine’s probably at least a foot above any significant metal components in the engine. Would it work? No idea. I’ve never tried it. I’d call it a possibility, though.

to the OP...it's not your fight - if someone approached you and started giving you a lecture on everything you were doing wrong what would you say to them? Anything less than an honest answer is pointless :)

to the OP...it's not your fight - if someone approached you and started giving you a lecture on everything you were doing wrong what would you say to them? Anything less than an honest answer is pointless :)
I did not give him a lecture, I just commented saying it is not a good idea to take off from the hood of the tractor and instead of him just accepting the advice, he had to go and say that I don't know what I'm talking about and he did his research and I didn't, but I have, in fact I never heard anyone say it would not give errors and warnings, especially DJI, but he said they did. All I want to know is where he got this information because of all the research I've done, I have never heard anyone say that! I even asked DJI.

Some people seem to think they are toys, like this guy:

"Yeah it goes over 3 miles!" Unless you have lots of experience flying drones, you shouldn't be flying in amongst trees and power lines etc. from a long distance away, or even a short distance away. Plus it's illegal most places to fly that far out of VLOS.

Any new drone owner should find a large field with no obstructions to learn to fly. Whether they want a FAA Remote Pilot in Command license or not, they should read and study all the training materials. As indicated in other comments above, a drone is not a toy. Finally, there is a saying "a fool and is money is soon parted". Now there's an expression that new drone pilots might think through carefully.

Just for the record, tractor hoods these days are generally fiberglass, as are many of the cab roofs. Mine’s probably at least a foot above any significant metal components in the engine. Would it work? No idea. I’ve never tried it. I’d call it a possibility, though.

Exactly. Many items employ non-ferrous or composite materials nowadays for various design considerations. The hood, roof, and trunk lid on my car are composites.

Additionally, I have flown from reinforced concrete since 2014 starting with my P2. This is regularly cautioned against here which CAN BE TRUE in some situations.

Trying to apply a single mindset to widely varying circumstances is asking for contention.

I would likely defend my experience and ability to do so for a ‘lap’ or two regardless of what any anonymous chat forum member would insinuate.

Reactions: Oso
I understand that you're trying to help someone avoid a potential mistake. I get that. But I learned a long time ago that some people don't want the advice of others, even if it means they'll make mistakes. You can't reach everyone, no matter how hard you try to reason or argue with them. In situations like that, if I've done all that I can do, I recognize it for what it is, I pack it up, and move on. I realized a long, long time ago that trying to get the last word in for every situation is pointless. I've got far too many things to do and far too little time to be focused on that. Good luck.
Good advice. You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink! :cool:

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Warnings are there to give us insights of what lies ahead and fly accordingly. Compass error means the drone will be in some kind of atti mode while the error persist. High wind and obstacle avoidance warnings are warnings that almost always exist when I fly. Not something I ignore though and I fly with caution. The false obstacle avoidance warning tells me that the drone sensors are blind and may affect my forward motion towards the direction of the sun. High wind warnings tells me my flight speed returning home maybe affected. Knowing the limitations and danger associated with these warnings help you fly your drone safely. These warnings however does not prevent you from flying but ignoring these warnings and how it affect your flying can mean a lost drone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik