Reaction score
I am not a pilot of manned aircraft, but I've been flying my P3A for a little over a year, and have reluctantly passed on multiple opportunities to fly for $.

So I've been waiting impatiently for the 107 stuff to shake out, and on July 28th I paid my $150 to CATS and am now scheduled for the 107 certification exam at the AKT in Concord, CA on Sept 2nd.

The following is information I wish I'd have found all in one place, so I hope it helps those in the same 'boat as me (I may be feeding my future competition, but 'what the hay, it's a big tent ;o)

I first considered a company that provides online 107 exam prep for $299 (discounted to $249 for early signer-uppers). With more of a thirst for knowledge than money, I passed on that, and after more online research, I found the "Part 107 sUAS Course", online training and sample test on FAASafety.gov (free, but registration is required).

I quickly devoured the course and got 100% on the sample test, feeling quite smug. Then I read the fine-print -- the training and sample test were designed for LICENSED PILOTS who want a 107, so a lot of more traditional manned-pilot stuff that will be in the REAL 107 exam were not covered AT ALL. I then downloaded the Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement PDF that provides the reference material for the real 107 exam -- 'No help at all by itself, except making me realize it was gonna be much more difficult than I thought.

I then rooted-out a free link to this shortened, but more complete sample test, with randomized questions every time you take it, supposedly from the "real" bank of 107 exam questions. I took the sample test 4 times and failed twice ;o< 'Lots of navigation map-reading with obscure symbols to memorize, weather terminology, and tons of acronyms. With no reference materials for failed answers, I was not so smug, in fact felt a little panicky.

A blog article by the wonderful Drone Girl, Sally French, suggested a pilot's bible from the FAA, "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge", $34.95 on Amazon.com, but I finally ordered the book "The Pilot's Manual: Ground School: All the aeronautical knowledge required to pass the FAA exams and operate as a Private and Commercial Pilot" for $33.50.

Now, 2-day shipping from Amazon Prime is just not quick enough (where's drone delivery when you really need it?), so I searched on... and...

**** BINGO ****
!

I found a free link to the FAA's, "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" in PDF form, which I'm glad to share with you. If you are taking the 107 exam, and can stand to study the 524 pages on your PC or tablet, you can thank me for saving you $35 bucks over the hardcopy version!

Anyway, with a month to study, and armed with the Ground School book, the FAA Pilot's Handbook PDF and the sample test questions (links above), I feel very confident that I'll ace the 60 question exam on Sept 2nd.

===
BTW, if you are a Litchi user hoping to go-professional, I'd also like to recommend The Phantom Film School series of online courses.'Best way I've found to get completely competent with waypoints, POIs and all pre-programmed aerial video techniques with Litchi. I also learned some great post processing/color correction techniques in Premiere Pro. I found the courses to be very enjoyable and well worth the money -- Laurence Seberini is not only a great instructor, but provides personal guidance, help, and encouragement to the alumni on their Facebook page, and is constantly updating and adding to the course material. 'Great stuff, and a great guy.
==

Anyway, good luck with your 107 exam prep, and I look forward to your stories on how you are preparing-for the exam, and are coping-with pre-exam jitters.

'Exciting times... Cheers!

I am not a pilot of manned aircraft, but I've been flying my P3A for a little over a year, and have reluctantly passed on multiple opportunities to fly for $.

So I've been waiting impatiently for the 107 stuff to shake out, and on July 28th I paid my $150 to CATS and am now scheduled for the 107 certification exam at the AKT in Concord, CA on Sept 2nd.

The following is information I wish I'd have found all in one place, so I hope it helps those in the same 'boat as me (I may be feeding my future competition, but 'what the hay, it's a big tent ;o)

I first considered a company that provides online 107 exam prep for $299 (discounted to $249 for early signer-uppers). With more of a thirst for knowledge than money, I passed on that, and after more online research, I found the "Part 107 sUAS Course", online training and sample test on FAASafety.gov (free, but registration is required).

I quickly devoured the course and got 100% on the sample test, feeling quite smug. Then I read the fine-print -- the training and sample test were designed for LICENSED PILOTS who want a 107, so a lot of more traditional manned-pilot stuff that will be in the REAL 107 exam were not covered AT ALL. I then downloaded the Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement PDF that provides the reference material for the real 107 exam -- 'No help at all by itself, except making me realize it was gonna be much more difficult than I thought.

I then rooted-out a free link to this shortened, but more complete sample test, with randomized questions every time you take it, supposedly from the "real" bank of 107 exam questions. I took the sample test 4 times and failed twice ;o< 'Lots of navigation map-reading with obscure symbols to memorize, weather terminology, and tons of acronyms. With no reference materials for failed answers, I was not so smug, in fact felt a little panicky.

A blog article by the wonderful Drone Girl, Sally French, suggested a pilot's bible from the FAA, "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge", $34.95 on Amazon.com, but I finally ordered the book "The Pilot's Manual: Ground School: All the aeronautical knowledge required to pass the FAA exams and operate as a Private and Commercial Pilot" for $33.50.

Now, 2-day shipping from Amazon Prime is just not quick enough (where's drone delivery when you really need it?), so I searched on... and...

**** BINGO ****
!

I found a free link to the FAA's, "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" in PDF form, which I'm glad to share with you. If you are taking the 107 exam, and can stand to study the 524 pages on your PC or tablet, you can thank me for saving you $35 bucks over the hardcopy version!

Anyway, with a month to study, and armed with the Ground School book, the FAA Pilot's Handbook PDF and the sample test questions (links above), I feel very confident that I'll ace the 60 question exam on Sept 2nd.

===
BTW, if you are a Litchi user hoping to go-professional, I'd also like to recommend The Phantom Film School series of online courses.'Best way I've found to get completely competent with waypoints, POIs and all pre-programmed aerial video techniques with Litchi. I also learned some great post processing/color correction techniques in Premiere Pro. I found the courses to be very enjoyable and well worth the money -- Laurence Seberini is not only a great instructor, but provides personal guidance, help, and encouragement to the alumni on their Facebook page, and is constantly updating and adding to the course material. 'Great stuff, and a great guy.
==

Anyway, good luck with your 107 exam prep, and I look forward to your stories on how you are preparing-for the exam, and are coping-with pre-exam jitters.

Awesome post and THANK YOU!

Tried the 'more complete sample test', got to the page but get a 'cannot open address is invalid' when I hit the launch button. Ccould you spell out the web address? Thanks

Thanks again for the info, I was finally able to get to the sample tests. Passed the first 2 times that I tried it. But it did help to highlight some areas that I want to focus on as I study for the test (mine is scheduled 29 August).

**** BINGO ****
!

===
==

It looks to me the FAA is making the test difficult and so non related to flying a small drone so no one will pass and the testing companies will make a fortune - I went through some of the test questions - ridiculous!!! I took the test that was applicable to those having a pilot license and with zero review / study I aced it - so why make the official test any more difficult - FAA should have already sent out study guides, example test questions and so on - typical government SNAFU..............

You won't need to study the entire 524 pages of the PHAK (Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge). Probably only 75 or so pages contain info relevant to the 107 test. If you are going to study using only the FAA's resources, you'll need these:

FAA Airman Certification Standards for Remote Pilot
Part 107 regulations (there are condensed versions in PDF available)
AIM (Aeronautical Information Manual)
FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
FAA Risk Management Handbook
FAA Weather Services Handbook
FAA Weather Resources Handbook
Various ACs and SAFOs

The difficult part is filtering out the parts that apply to you and Part 107. Don't take the test unprepared! If you can't decipher a METAR and a TAF, cannot calculate an aircraft's apparent weight in a specific bank angle, can't read a 4-Panel Prognostic Chart, can't determine when Class E airspace starts at the surface, 700 feet or 1,200 feet, don't know how to listen to an ATIS broadcast, or cannot make proper self-announce broadcasts on an aviation handheld radio, you may have problems with the test.

Reactions: Falcon900
The FAA has been pretty clear on the areas to be tested and the sample test quests that I have seen track those areas well. n42742 has a good synopsis in his last paragraph. If you can handle those items and know the material in part 107, the test should be straight forward. The questions are not tricky, but they do want a reasonable level of understanding. No one, experienced pilot or newbie is going to pass without some study. Part 107 will give us quite a bit of opportunity and it isn't unreasonable to expect to have demonstrated some level of understanding f the rules and issues. Just be glad the ,horrors of horrors, FAA doesn't require a flight test!!!!

Here are a a few videos on aeronautical charts and air space. It's helping me to understand charts better.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks again for the info, I was finally able to get to the sample tests. Passed the first 2 times that I tried it. But it did help to highlight some areas that I want to focus on as I study for the test (mine is scheduled 29 August).
Richard, could you please post the link to the sample test?

here you go. Just a note, I find some of the sectional chart segments that they use in the questions almost impossible to read on my tablet. Had to go to the laptop for a bigger image.
Drone Knowledge Test Prep

Tried the 'more complete sample test', got to the page but get a 'cannot open address is invalid' when I hit the launch button. Ccould you spell out the web address? Thanks

http://droneknowledgetestprep.s3.amazonaws.com/Sample Test/quiz.html
(Depending on your browser, you might need to replace the space between "Sample" and "Test" with %20 that represents the space character).

I also found these additional 40 sample questions: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf

Cheers!

Last edited:
Got it working, thanks. Actually passed the sample test 4 time now. Still a good tool to point out the areas that i still need to work on in prep for the test.

am not a pilot of manned aircraft,
Thank you very much for your FREE references. I am in the same situation, no pilot, but want to get the Remote Pilot Certificate for UAS. It seems the part 107 can be read and easily learned. The challenge I see so far is to understand all these pilot knowledge on weather, clouds, airports, radio, sectional maps, etc. The pilot handbook is 524 pages. Wondering if there is an easier way than going thru 500 pages. I found this. It is a great reference based on my limited knowledge. ( cant be believe it is free too).
Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep - 1

Go through each of the elements on her site. that will also help you narrow down the handbook sections to study. For instance, not likely to get many, if any, questions on the mechanics of flight or flight instruments and nothing on IFR operations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic