So this just happened......NFZ Forced Landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I live near Philadelphia and have been flying waypoint missions over the Delaware River and back for months. Never an issue. Today before flying I updated the Litchi App. I took off on the mission, lost signal and the bird never returned. Cue in the trackimo I bought a week ago and it's showing my bird in Camden NJ. Not particularly a great place to go hunting for a drone (#1 in crime in the Country). Anyway I drive to where the trackimo is showing the bird whole time wondering what happened. Plenty of battery perfect conditions...anyhoo. I locate a copy in the area and thought maybe he was called because someone found a drone. He was not there for that but looked at the trackimo and told me the area was actually out on a highway in the medial strip. He showed me how to get out there and there was the drone. 3% battery. I turn on controller and DJI ap and I get a message about entering a TEMP NFZ and I needed to enter a credit card number to unlock the area to fly in. First, as for the no fly zone, it was a temp for yesterdays Eagles game 3-4 miles away not sure why it's still in place, secondly I've never had a problem with the Temp NFZ there was one up the whole month of August for the Democratic Convention..But let;s say I did enter a zone, why oh why would it not turn the bird around and send home? Why would it drop it out of the sky no matter where it was risking catastrophe? I seem to recall another posting about this. Ok no Fly zone, turn around and go home but to land in place is CRAZY!!!! Also whats with the credit card screen? My drone is lost and landing and there is a screen poping up asking me for a CREDIT CARD. Any thoughts on this? I assume something happened with the LITCHI update that all of a sudden started doing this. NOT GOOD. From what I read once you hit the zone it's land time, even if you have control and turn it around. So imagine being a mile or two out and fight the landing the whole way back.

Finally I know I risk with autonomous flights but for me it's how I get the most out of my drone. I accept the risk but this is a risk that doesn't have to be. Send me home don't land me in a highway.

I wish Litchi warns you before executing the mission.

Litchi developers please make a note.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: JohnnyB and longdog
This must be new with update Alo as I did the same mission yesterday and no problem. Found out the Temp NFZ for the Eagles Game is put up 7 days in advance and expires 3-5 days after event so 10-15 days of NFZ for a single day event..

Yes I agree as one of the solutions but my suggestion is that it should not take off at all if it senses NFZs on the mission route. Missions are planned on ground so why can't it check it the moment you place a waypoint.

Here's the zone that got me PHL vs MIN game was yesterday..this has been up 9 days now..WTF

IvVT0jO.jpg

Yes I agree as one of the solutions but my suggestion is that it should not take off at all if it senses NFZs on the mission route. Missions are planned on ground so why can't it check it the moment you place a waypoint.

I've already contacted Litchi...we all no DJI is no use.

You might find litchi's hands are tied as the SDK may not allow for NFZ data to be shared with the app. Will be interesting to see what the response is.

It's interesting how comfort levels vary. I happily fly LCMC in the desert over private property however I would be exceptionally reluctant to do the same over a populous area. Finding your AC on a median strip wasn't that far off an outoland directly into moving traffic. I'm pleased you had a happy ending.

You might find litchi's hands are tied as the SDK may not allow for NFZ data to be shared with the app. Will be interesting to see what the response is.

It's interesting how comfort levels vary. I happily fly LCMC in the desert over private property however I would be exceptionally reluctant to do the same over a populous area. Finding your AC on a median strip wasn't that far off an outoland directly into moving traffic. I'm pleased you had a happy ending.
They could have at least warned us on the upgrade that this was going to happen. It wasn't doing it before the upgrade today. They know most people by Litchi for Waypoints and other features not in DJI.

Looking at DJI's map of restricted areas your bound to run into one anywhere and down the bird goes..you have no control

They could have at least warned us on the upgrade that this was going to happen. It wasn't doing it before the upgrade today. They know most people by Litchi for Waypoints and other features not in DJI.

Looking at DJI's map of restricted areas your bound to run into one anywhere and down the bird goes..you have no control
Agreed this nfz and litchi issue is, as you have demonstrated, a major additional consideration, particularity for LCMC which is already risky.

Faa lifted the NFZ at noon today, DJI has not updated their map...should have never happened.

Faa lifted the NFZ at noon today, DJI has not updated their map...should have never happened.
The fact it shouldn't have happened and has makes an even greater case for limiting LCMC use to where an unexpected failure will not see the AC cause harm to life or property.

The fact it shouldn't have happened and has makes an even greater case for limiting LCMC use to where an unexpected failure will not see the AC cause harm to life or property.
There are a lot of cases out there, one guy actually went down on the highway and saw the cars coming towards the drone, another was going down in the middle of a river and the big problem is while you can moved backwards or sideways you can't move up so your landing and all hell is breaking lose.

Let me ask this, my bird is forced landed on the highway, hits a school bus driver crashes and loss of life ensues. Wouldn't DJI also be liable in a case like this for such stupidity? Simply send the drone home...DO NOT LAND IT ANYWHERE. It's against FED LAW to take a drone out of the sky but that's essentially what they are doing?

There are a lot of cases out there, one guy actually went down on the highway and saw the cars coming towards the drone, another was going down in the middle of a river and the big problem is while you can moved backwards or sideways you can't move up so your landing and all hell is breaking lose.

Let me ask this, my bird is forced landed on the highway, hits a school bus driver crashes and loss of life ensues. Wouldn't DJI also be liable in a case like this for such stupidity? Simply send the drone home...DO NOT LAND IT ANYWHERE. It's against FED LAW to take a drone out of the sky but that's essentially what they are doing?
I'm not offering legal advice but from what I have been informed if your flying outside FAA guidelines your going to be holding the can. You may have some cause of action against other parties to the extent you demonstrate manufacturing fault or software issue contributed. I can't think of anything worse than potentially contributing to significant injury or death that could have been avoided. You will loose everything you own in the process also.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I'm not offering legal advice but from what I have been informed if your flying outside FAA guidelines your going to be holding the can. You may have some cause of action against other parties to the extent you demonstrate manufacturing fault or software issue contributed. I can't think of anything worse than potentially contributing to significant injury or death that could have been avoided. You will loose everything you own in the process also.
I get that but couple factors. First the no fly zone was not in effect when I flew. Secondly dji has alternatives to stop the breach without setting bird down. A simple return to home is all that's needed.

litchi had an update today, but did it address this issue?

I get that but couple factors. First the no fly zone was not in effect when I flew. Secondly dji has alternatives to stop the breach without setting bird down. A simple return to home is all that's needed.
Your assuming the FW allows for RTH to be initiated when flying LCMC.

Someday it might be implemented (assuming its possible).

In the interim you now know you have one additional consideration to be mindful of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic