So this just happened......NFZ Forced Landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not offering legal advice but from what I have been informed if your flying outside FAA guidelines your going to be holding the can. You may have some cause of action against other parties to the extent you demonstrate manufacturing fault or software issue contributed. I can't think of anything worse than potentially contributing to significant injury or death that could have been avoided. You will loose everything you own in the process also.

Both the Litchi and DJI have a catch all statement in their manuals that you should always fly by line of sight and are not responsible for anything that happens in any case, don't you just love lawyers.

Reactions: pomonabill220
For the 10th time...I was not near PHL have a look...star is where I was I was not in any restricted airspace. Today I flew the same area from a ball field with visual the whole time .

I am responding here not to give you a hard time and honestly with all due respect. I also am in agreement with SoCalDude, Mooks and Phil Tuggle & others as to their concerns and comments regarding the decisions made to fly where/when you flew?

It was good of you to post this info that I am sure will help or rather wake up some others who are contemplating the same kind of flying.

However, your argument and/or defense with regard to your mission is falling somewhat on "deaf ears" - simply due to the fact of your choice to fly where you flew (BLOS), at night and over a busy highway with plenty of traffic. You keep defending your stance with respect to "not flying" anywhere near the airport and maybe you are correct on that, but, as said, the defence of that is mute considering the careless thought that went into planning the mission, circumstances, area, night time flying and ignoring some FAA rules and regulations.

You certainly can't defend the fact you have broken rules and regulations according to the FAA. I think it might be time for you to choose more wisely where you fly and when you fly - being a capable pilot of these units doesn't end with "how you fly and handle them" - consideration with regard to rules and where/when you fly are also a huge part of being a capable, not to mention a responsible pilot.

I just looked at your video of where you are parked at night on that overpass/bridge or whatever and it gives me shivers to think someone would actually think "hey this is a great, safe area to launch and fly my drone". A stated earlier, with all due respect "bkushner" - what is the thought process behind your "planned" flights in that area and at night?

Finally, you do (I hope) realize you were extremely lucky the Phantom landed or hovered where it did in the median of that highway! I shudder at the thought of what could have been catastrophic events resulting in it landing anywhere but there. Even at 65ft of hovering, that could have very easily caused drivers of vehicles to become distracted and who knows what could have happened! Reading through all your posts here, and despite the action taken as a result of what you suspect was the app employed during flight or DJI etc. - the responsibility and results are on you, since you made the choice to fly where you did and when you did. Cause and Effect are part of what's called "Root Cause Failure Analysis" (RCFA) - the final analysis here, points directly at you as to being the root cause!

Please define LCMC.

Only definition I heard of is ---- LCMC (Linux Cluster Management Console) and is a GUI (Graphical User Interface) application.

Please define LCMC.
It's a setting within the Litchi application.

Lost Connection Mission Continuation

Meaning that if you lose connection between your controller and Phantom, the mission continues, as opposed to stopping and hovering, or landing, or RTH.

Last edited:
Lost Connection Mission Continuation

Well despite being a non Litchi user you can still learn something new every day - another acronym defined - thanks for the info 'SoCalDude"

Well despite being a non Litchi user you can still learn something new every day - another acronym defined - thanks for the info 'SoCalDude"
My pleasure @eaglegoaltender. I've only flown with Litchi twice and those were on a practice airfield. It worked flawlessly, but it was somewhat boring for a recreational pilot. For commercial pilots, it has a lot of value.

Do we have an existing thread that defines would adequate lights are?

I have Flytron blinking LEDs. I think my colors are wrong though, white on front, red on back.

Some have Lumicubes. Those are brighter, but do they qualify? Do they have to have specific colors?

Chris
Hi Chris - the language comes from the AMA's safety code. See B.8. here:

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF

RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations.

So in other words, the existing Phantom lights are fine. They provide the pilot with what he needs to know. Your lights with white on front and red on back are fine too. Lume cubes would be fine too, provided pilot can see the orientation of the craft.

Hope this helps.

Watched your video from the second time and had a thought. The first time it happened you said it forced landed, but couldn't it have done the same thing? Dropped to x feet and hovered, then land when battery got low? If so, what would cause that behavior?

Congratulations on top of the 25 weekly list, your flying it now, 3k & rising,
IMG_1477786524.090613.jpg

Well I'm gonna end my participation in this thread...getting to be a bit too much. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have posted anything. I get it I shouldn't have been flying but it's gotten out of hand. I wasn't 2 feet from Philly International, I wasn't over a hwy ( i was over water 95% of the way, when it hit the wall it changed direction) , I wasn't flying from the highway I was retrieving the bird, hell a Delaware River Port Authority Policeman helped me retrieve the bird. In any even ya live and learn...Internet Forums always have and always will be for the most part a nightmare.

Well I'm gonna end my participation in this thread....

Understood. Nothing personal was intended. I guess you simply wanted to know only why the aircraft went wacky on you, after all, and you got more answers than bargained for - Ha. That does tend to happen some of the time. Sorry.

Well I'm gonna end my participation in this thread...getting to be a bit too much. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have posted anything. I get it I shouldn't have been flying but it's gotten out of hand. I wasn't 2 feet from Philly International, I wasn't over a hwy ( i was over water 95% of the way, when it hit the wall it changed direction) , I wasn't flying from the highway I was retrieving the bird, hell a Delaware River Port Authority Policeman helped me retrieve the bird. In any even ya live and learn...Internet Forums always have and always will be for the most part a nightmare.
And with that this thread is going to take a rest :)
intermissin 1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4