So much for the battery myth !! Non DJI batterys

Problem for battery check - is a physical limitation due to the case design and DJI not wanting you inside !

Nigel

Sorry - I cannot agree with this OEM argument in event of incident.

Let's take a car .... each has recc'd Tyres. Size and even brand .... Many use alternative ..... let's even look back to the days of remould and retreads ..... I cannot think of any claim against owner for using such....

As I suggested - my understanding is that Commercial use will require use of items that were used when first registered. Note I do not say OEM ....

Nigel

I agree 100%, have been flying 6 or 7 different phantoms now for 3 years. Sarting with a Vision 2 Plus. This battery discussion has been going since then.
I have used Limefuel branded in my Pantom 2's and they were BETTER than OEM.
My only concern would be firmware.
If the battery worked and firmware didn't lock It out I would have no issue at all using a non DJI battery.
I also have had 2 BAD dji batteries out of 7 and have 1 that I got new but has cell issues so I use it for updates and testing only..

But then again I pretty much treat my phantoms as tools and simply use it/them as I do any other device I own
had to buy a battery for a car the other day and did not buy a FORD battery but a sears one...

Reactions: Neon Euc
Yes, on two occasions that I can remember in the P3 line at least. I don't know about any other series as i haven't had my I1 very long and don't own any other series from DJI.

This is part of the risk of upgrading your firmware. DJI didn't say the battery check was in the firmware. Why would they do that? People found out the hard way when suddenly their birds quit accepting the knock off battery. Just like people suddenly couldn't fly in places they used to because of new geofencing that they pushed into the firmware. Or suddenly restricted range and altitude if you don't sign in using GO. Surprise! :)

DJI is not going to tell you about these hidden "features", they just put them in and put some other things in the release notes that make you want to grab the latest firmware. And from what I understand once you go down that path so far, its become a forced update now. They can now keep pushing you along to newer firmware. Not sure how true that last statement is because...

I don't drink the kool-aid. My birds are on 1.5.0011 (which is a dev release prior to 1.5.030 which introduced one of the battery bugs). Doesn't have the geofencing problems. Doesn't have the mandatory updates. Doesn't have the reduced power issue. Doesn't have the cold weather flying bug. Doesn't have the battery checks (even though I don't use non-OEM batteries). And doesn't have any problems that would remotely make me want to update it.

Your bird is yours. Do with it what you will. Its your choice to make. I am just putting it out there so you can make an informed decision.
hi can you please send a link for that 1.5.0011 for p3a as i cant find it anywhere. thnx

Authorised is NOT same as OEM ......

Many parts / items are authorised by Certification Authorities that are not OEM.

I agree that if a part contributes or has part to play in accident / incident - then I have no argument.

But you are making out that only OEM are allowed that is not strictly correct...

and you are also making the mistake that FAA is all over the world ... I do not live in USA ... we have our own CAA that is taking a much better look and attitude to the whole affair ... I am actually in the Discussion group ! We hold meetings to put together the guidelines for submission to Latvian CAA and to EU Committee ... in fact over this side of the pond - all are strongly against the 'knee-jerk' reactive policies of the FAA when it comes to Drones and RC model flying.

As to tyres - I too put good quality reputable on my vehicles ... but they are definitely NOT the recc'd brand of the vehicle manufacturer. I also use 3rd party items on my engines from reputable sources ... I will not pay excess pricing for Volvo ... when same part from literally same factory via another label is lower priced. I do not compromise safety in any way ... but I am also not daft with my money !

Do you always go to the Vehicle Dealership for service / repairs ?

Here's an example :

Volvo Dealer in Riga charges 60 Euros an hour labour ... service of my T5 XC70 is about 700 Euros with them. I have to drive 3hrs to get to them .. return trip about 40 euros. So all in about 740 Euros.

When I decided to get local non Volvo shop service my car ... they charged me 400 Euros all in ... AND showed me all the filters - engine / AC , items replaced, pointed out serviced items on the car ... with emphasis on those the Volvo Dealership had not even touched .... which included all AC filters and the engine oil filter ...

So much for OEM !!

Nigel

Off the subject, are you a boxing fan? Anthony Joshua is a hero to the US boxing fans, a real stand up Champ

Yes @JoBe , DJI can render all of the third party batteries useless at any time and without notice.
Yes, they have done this before on more than one occasion.
No, I don't expect that they will bother doing this again with P3 era batteries.
Hey thx.

Reactions: Oso
Off the subject, are you a boxing fan? Anthony Joshua is a hero to the US boxing fans, a real stand up Champ

Your point being ?

Remember "Boom Boom" Minter ? MW Boxing Champ.

I knew him personally .. grew up in same town etc. Watched him beaten up by a guy with a rolled up newspaper.

Your point ?

Nigel

Yeah, I remember him was just wondering if he was a huge of a celebrity there as he is in the states

I have 3 aftermarket batteries that worked perfectly until DJI built this customer screw job into their firmware. Now those batteries are paperweights.
I’m surprised somebody hasn’t worked out a fix for this and No, Litchi does the same thing

I bought my P3P as a wreck, rebuilt it, and it has flown beautifully. A second mishap made it necessary to rebuild it again, and that’s the way I discovered that DJI was locking out all third party batteries from flying this drone....

The drone is long out of warranty, was rebuilt twice, so if it crashes or causes damages or injury to anyone, DJI can’t be held liable for anything, unless the cause was a defect in design or manufacture of the drone itself. If an aftermarket battery is determined to be at fault, respective manufacturer is responsible. If an accident is my fault, it’s on me— that’s why I carry lots of liability insurance....

The reason for this crock of crap has nothing to do with protecting anybody or anything but DJI’s bottom line of profits. Decoded knock off batteries are all over eBay and Amazon at the same lower prices as ever before, but it does me no good— somebody has to either come up with a firmware patch for the flight apps, or a way to make these batteries work with the present apps, DJIgo and Litchi.

Downgrading the firmware to earlier versions doesn’t help, because the system requires it to be the latest before you can fly, and it tells you so......
Somebody please do something about this, because alot of perfectly good batteries are destined for the landfill, putting good money down the toilet for lots of drone pilots.....

Waste— the cost of greed.... I have a P4 too, a wonderful Bird, but it will be a long time before I consider buying a DJI product again.

I have 3 aftermarket batteries that worked perfectly until DJI built this customer screw job into their firmware. Now those batteries are paperweights.
I’m surprised somebody hasn’t worked out a fix for this and No, Litchi does the same thing

I bought my P3P as a wreck, rebuilt it, and it has flown beautifully. A second mishap made it necessary to rebuild it again, and that’s the way I discovered that DJI was locking out all third party batteries from flying this drone....

The drone is long out of warranty, was rebuilt twice, so if it crashes or causes damages or injury to anyone, DJI can’t be held liable for anything, unless the cause was a defect in design or manufacture of the drone itself. If an aftermarket battery is determined to be at fault, respective manufacturer is responsible. If an accident is my fault, it’s on me— that’s why I carry lots of liability insurance....

The reason for this crock of crap has nothing to do with protecting anybody or anything but DJI’s bottom line of profits. Decoded knock off batteries are all over eBay and Amazon at the same lower prices as ever before, but it does me no good— somebody has to either come up with a firmware patch for the flight apps, or a way to make these batteries work with the present apps, DJIgo and Litchi.

Downgrading the firmware to earlier versions doesn’t help, because the system requires it to be the latest before you can fly, and it tells you so......
Somebody please do something about this, because alot of perfectly good batteries are destined for the landfill, putting good money down the toilet for lots of drone pilots.....

Waste— the cost of greed.... I have a P4 too, a wonderful Bird, but it will be a long time before I consider buying a DJI product again.
There is a Facebook drone page based in London where he firmware is cracked getting rid of this problem. Forgot the name of it but people are loving it and it works. Worth checking that out

You sir have been unlucky to have bought batterys that got 'zapped' by DJI ..... there are thousands of owners out there with 3rd party batterys that are flying without any trouble at all ..... as I do ...

Second - system does not REQUIRE you to upgrade any FW .... you can fly with whatever FW you want ... you IGNORE the update warning. Of course if you make the mistake of updating - then you have a devils job to 'backdate' the FW ... I know there are posts about how to do it - but that caused my P3P to have to go for DJI repair.

Nigel

My PA come from DJI with 1.11...

Now im screwed: Cant fly with old app, and one of my batteries non dji has problems...

The things are so bad, thant even a original battery at 30% did land on emergency as it was at 15%:eek::eek:

About older fw and app:

You can shield the app from DJI to make us update...
I cant do it because DJI install 1.11....

I just had my P3P repaired by DJI .... they installed 1.10.09 FW even though 1.11.20 is the current version.

Nigel

hrmmmm I wonder has anyone looked into Magnuson-Moss Warranty act?
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

Long and short of the law is that Mfg cannot require specific brands of disposable items (oil, filters, batteries) be used to maintain warranty. Just has to meet OEM spec.

Not sure if batteries in this case are disposable, but I have to wonder if it is legal for DJI to be disabling drones like they are? I do not proclaim to be a law expert, but it makes me wonder. It is one thing to design a product to be difficult/impossible to duplicate, have patents on it etc. It is completely another issue to have the system look for electronic ID#'s and disable itself. That would be like your car not running because you bought an aftermarket alternator or battery from Napa...?

You got it! These batteries had 11 and 3 flights at the time DJI put a screw job in with a firmware update in 2017. Instant paperweight

Batteries wear out.. no car [emoji592]manufacturer warrants batteries— in fact, no car manufacturer even makes batteries.
Time for a class action lawsuit—

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1