So its coming tomorrow! Looking for video tutorials

Reaction score
getting all the firmware and downloads

If you have seen some of my posts its obvious that I am new. I have a Phantom 2 vision coming in next week. I got the instruction manual via moderator of this site and a big thank you to him! I have done lots of research on these and I try and find posts here that answer my questions before I post. ONe thing I could not get clear by reading posts on this board or reading the instruction manual is the downloadable content and firmware I need to get from DJI. Can someone give me a run down on this? What do I need EXACTLY to make sure I have everything and am up to date. What is Naza? why would I want it or not want it?
Thanks!

Re: getting all the firmware and downloads

ccase39 said:
If you have seen some of my posts its obvious that I am new. I have a Phantom 2 vision coming in next week. I got the instruction manual via moderator of this site and a big thank you to him! I have done lots of research on these and I try and find posts here that answer my questions before I post. ONe thing I could not get clear by reading posts on this board or reading the instruction manual is the downloadable content and firmware I need to get from DJI. Can someone give me a run down on this? What do I need EXACTLY to make sure I have everything and am up to date. What is Naza? why would I want it or not want it?
Thanks!
Naza control and Vision control is a part of the vision's programming. You can Enable naza features right there on your computer when you setup your Visions options. Naza allows you to enable IOC (intelligent Orientation Control), Homelock and Courselock. Once these features are enabled, you can select them by switching S2 to mid position (courselock) or botton position (homelock) You need to read or watch videos on what it does for you. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P9tncWssRns
Also, you'll want to set the S1 switch (right side of TX) to GPS/ATTI/RTH... Depending on conditions and antenna reception, its advisable to learn to switch between these first two modes for safe flying. Again, watch some videos on how the Vision flys in "Attitude" mode. BEWARE... Never use MANUAL mode unless you are an extremely adept pilot, as this mode is fast and very responsive, with no GPS or attitude stabilized. (i have my "MANUAL" mode completly disabled in the software.)

I would thoroughly read the manual, any questions or confusing terms should be searched for, either here or the internet. Simon Newton (pull-up) a member of this forum has quite a few videos that explain in greater detail all of the features. He and Geert are both veterans with these craft and can help with any questions as you go.

The waypoint system is part of the app you download in your phone or tablet. Make sure you understand RTH altitudes and other details of Waypoint flying as it is important when you cannot see your Vision while flying in this autonomous mode. It is important to keep track of revisions and apps... As they are somewhat dependant on each other. A mismatch in firmware and app could be a cause for a crash. This forum is a good resource as to the benefit or pitfalls of revisions as they are released and tested.
(I personally never upgrade my Vision firmware until i've read about others who have... Just to verify their is no critical bugs to work out.)

Keep your battery data pins clean as they seem to be the biggest contributor to crashes other than pilot error.

Ask questions on here, and search the internet for info on almost any topic concerning DJI Phantoms/Vision or Vision Plus.
The first thing you will need to do... And you can do it now, is setup an account with the DJI website so you can download the appropriate software to your PC. Once your Vision arrives, you'll be ready to update its firmware and revisions.

You will need the Windows driver pkg (if you are using a pc and not a mac)
Then you'll be ready to load the dji assistant, you connect your vision to your pc and start the software. Follow the prompts. WARNING!... Never unplug or plug cables into or out of the Vision while the Vision is powerd up. Always shut the Vision battery off before disconnecting or connecting cables

Welcome to the forum.... Happy hovering.

The Rookie

awesome guys! I feel bad for the folks who had to figure this out on their own without the help of this forum! Which version of firmware should I download? 3.0?

Cannot wait but being cautious. I have watched a ton of videos that kind of pieces together the set up but I wanna make sure before I fly this thing. Have any of you guys made a complete A-Z video tutorial from unboxing, to firmware loading (I downloaded everything from Dji but again want to make sure) to first flight? I seem to see a lot on the Vision plus but not as many for vision non plus model. I would like a video or series of videos that cover everything from start to finish. What do you recommend??

dii's own site has a lot of how-to videos

few tips
fly in a large area away from trees
if the bird acts odd land asap
avoid power lines
don't fly over people

Watch out for those trees that jump out on you :D

Cyclone said:
Watch out for those trees that jump out on you :D
For Christmas my Fiance got me what was called a Pathfinder drone. It wasnt very expensive but it was fairly fast and strong, especially for a beginner. I got it stuck on flight 2. Its still in the tree as we speak.
I wont be going off of GPS mode. I dont want full control.

Gps mode will get boring real quick(I am thinking of starting practice in manual mode soon)

Once you get the hang of flying it and how it behaves I think you should at least try flying in atti mode

I have flown in wind in that mode and it is fun(still play it safe)

Now I have the auto land feature turned off(always bring her in at 8-10% battery anyway)

Another great feature(you have to use the computer software for this) is the hight and radious limits
Set those and while in gps mode it will never go past that distence(trust me it works)
(Advanced tab-> limits) set the hight to 400 feet(faa limit) and the radius to your comfort(radius doesn't work in atti mode)

Don't fly fully fpv till you have mastered it flying line of sight(you will thank me later)

Set the bottom position of s1(right toggle) to fail safe as you never know when you will need it and having it like this will be better then just turning the controller off
Don't use the prop guards(they add extra and unneeded weight and are tree grabbers)

Don't worry about updates (firmware etc) till you can fly it fully
Also keep in mind if you crash it will never be your last crash(three is my record out of roughly 30 flights)

Another tip I forgot to add stay low (altitude) till you have learned what everything does and how to react when something does go wrong(trust me something will)

Happy flying

Fyi the main difference between the p2vision(non plus and the vision plus is mainly the camera and gimbal the rest is pretty much the same
My start up procedure is like this
Sit the phantom on the ground(battery already installed)
Turn on the remote
Turn on the repeater(not needed if flying line of sight)
Turn on the phantom's smart battery
Connect my iPhone to the repeater(not needed if flying line of sight)
Wait till it flashes green(NO RED) i gps mode
Start the motors(both sticks in towards each other)
Take off
Landing is the reverse of above(controller is the last thing you turn off)
Don't use the csc(under start the motors) above hold the left(or right stick depending on the mode) fully downwards till the motors stop(reduces tip overs)
Always start with a fully charged battery(1 hour wait isn't fun)

I started small(estates proto x) and went bigger as my skills improved

And when taking off, dont be shy with the throttle, it can (see i state can not will) cause tip overs if your to gentle. Give it maximum take off power until it goes up then let go of the throttle and let it hover about 20ft, look for any sign of drift or wobble, if there is land and power off until its fixed (read the forum for suggestions)

Most of all have fun, i am

general01 said:
Another tip I forgot to add stay low (altitude) till you have learned what everything does and how to react when something does go wrong(trust me something will)

Happy flying

Right...Stay low....but ABOVE the trees.

Repeat after me, The trees are not your friend... The trees are not your friend... The trees are not your friend. :cool:

ccase39 said:
Thanks!

im also new and getting my phantom today!!
can u hook it up with the instructions manual? i been reading the one provided by DJI~its pretty nice as well

Ok thanks guys! I've got the assistant, transmitter control, and latest version for Phantom. Still looking for some good video that explain set up from unboxing to first flight. I've viewed several from different people explaining different things but there are gaps. Luckily I do know someone who has one but he's not very experienced either.

moswissa said:
ccase39 said:
Thanks!

im also new and getting my phantom today!!
can u hook it up with the instructions manual? i been reading the one provided by DJI~its pretty nice as well
Here yA go, compliments of Geert.

http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... 1.6_en.pdf

RCRookie said:
general01 said:

Happy flying

Repeat after me, The trees are not your friend... The trees are not your friend... The trees are not your friend. :cool:

Your telling that to someone who is surrounded by trees and has flown around,over or under them many times with only one crash caused by them (I didn't see the limb as the sun was shining into the camera)
My first flight was literally 4 feet off the ground and I tethered the phantom to reduce the risk of flyways till i was comfortible with flying without it(25 foot tether)

I have had more flight time behind the sticks of a quad copter then you think with multiple different quad copters(proto x, hubsun)

Btw most of my flying is by fpv due to said trees

I have also flown a quad indoors via fpv only(much more trickier then most expect)
Trust me I know how to fly smart and responsible either by line of sight or fpv

so i came back from a night flight at the park. ill have to say this think is a blast but I'm not impressed with the FPV range. it would cut out in less than 100ft ! idk if something is wrong. it felt like a regular wifi connectivity. i really thought this phantom 2 had longer range due to the extender. it was blinking green so I'm sure it was working. ill do more research on it. also i heard there was an app for longer range for like 9 bucks are yal aware of that?

general01 said:
RCRookie said:
general01 said:

Happy flying

Your telling that to someone who is surrounded by trees and has flown around,over or under them many times with only one crash caused by them (I didn't see the limb as the sun was shining into the camera)
My first flight was literally 4 feet off the ground and I tethered the phantom to reduce the risk of flyways till i was comfortible with flying without it(25 foot tether)

I have had more flight time behind the sticks of a quad copter then you think with multiple different quad copters(proto x, hubsun)

Btw most of my flying is by fpv due to said trees

I have also flown a quad indoors via fpv only(much more trickier then most expect)
Trust me I know how to fly smart and responsible either by line of sight or fpv

I wasn't trying to imply you arent a skilled quad pilot. I agree with you on the tree issue, i live in a east texas, its all trees here to. So waypoint navigation is a must.

Rc rookie I know
Sometime I am going to upload some of my pics from some of my flights(haven't had time to upload them
To photo bucket yet that shows as to how many trees are around me(I have done like a obstacle course with them before it's fun)

I am afraid to try the waypoint navigation in fear of said trees(last thing I want is it landing in a tree that's 80 feet or more tall)

moswissa said:
so i came back from a night flight at the park. ill have to say this think is a blast but I'm not impressed with the FPV range. it would cut out in less than 100ft ! idk if something is wrong. it felt like a regular wifi connectivity. i really thought this phantom 2 had longer range due to the extender. it was blinking green so I'm sure it was working. ill do more research on it. also i heard there was an app for longer range for like 9 bucks are yal aware of that?
Are you sure your wifi settings are connected to the wifi extender and not directly to the camera? I have read about this happening and sounds like that may be your problem. With the extender it should work much much farther than that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl