So, I put my P2V3+ into the drink(river).

Reaction score
About a month ago, I was out, getting a video of a local bridge. When my P2V3+ hit the side of the bridge, and fell into the river below. It was my fault, I flew to close to a support column, panic'd and hit the column.

It took me about 45 minutes, to fish my P2V3+ out of the river. Once I got it out, I pulled out the Battery immediately. Took the P2V3+ home, and completely disassembled everything that I could. Then used some Canned Air, to get ALL the water out. It all went well until I took the battery apart. While blow drying the Balancing Circuit, on the battery. Some of the components Sparked and then released a lot of their trapped smoke.

So have two(2) questions;

First question,
So what do you think the odds are that my P2V3+ has survived???

Second Question,
What would be the best way to bench test the P2V3+???

I know that the two large contacts supply power directly to the motor ESCs. But, do not have any specs on the two little pins, I believe I will need to apply some power to them too.

Any help or suggestions welcome, Thanks in advance.

About a month ago, I was out, getting a video of a local bridge. When my P2V3+ hit the side of the bridge, and fell into the river below. It was my fault, I flew to close to a support column, panic'd and hit the column.

It took me about 45 minutes, to fish my P2V3+ out of the river. Once I got it out, I pulled out the Battery immediately. Took the P2V3+ home, and completely disassembled everything that I could. Then used some Canned Air, to get ALL the water out. It all went well until I took the battery apart. While blow drying the Balancing Circuit, on the battery. Some of the components Sparked and then released a lot of their trapped smoke.

So have two(2) questions;

First question,
So what do you think the odds are that my P2V3+ has survived???

Second Question,
What would be the best way to bench test the P2V3+???

I know that the two large contacts supply power directly to the motor ESCs. But, do not have any specs on the two little pins, I believe I will need to apply some power to them too.

Any help or suggestions welcome, Thanks in advance.

LiPo batteries and water are a very dangerous mix that pose fire and potential explosive risk. Don't even think of trying to use a doused LiPo.

The battery is always toast after a under water bath. 90% of the time once cleaned and completely dried out the Phantoms fly again with a new battery.
The key is completely free of any water or moisture before you fire it back up. A short will kill components.
Navy ships get electronic components wet all the time, they clean, put on heat lamp and throughly dry, then test and put back into service.
Good luck!

About the battery, the built-in Balancing Circuit board, that is toast. But the individual Cells, seem to have survived
I made 2 - 3S packs out the Cells.

I use to think, if a Fully Charged LiPo Battery was put into WATER. It would at the very least,puff out, due to a direct short.

Good luck but for me I replace the battery rather than take a chance on another dunking. Power is the key.

About the battery, the built-in Balancing Circuit board, that is toast. But the individual Cells, seem to have survived
I made 2 - 3S packs out the Cells.

I use to think, if a Fully Charged LiPo Battery was put into WATER. It would at the very least,puff out, due to a direct short.
Water really isn't a good conductor of electricity.

Water really isn't a good conductor of electricity.
It's good enough to break down into 2 parts of hydrogen and one of oxygen, explosive enough. Add water to the lithium in the battery and then the big fun begins. Plenty of videos on Youtube if you're not convinced.

It's good enough to break down into 2 parts of hydrogen and one of oxygen, explosive enough. Add water to the lithium in the battery and then the big fun begins. Plenty of videos on Youtube if you're not convinced.
Actually, pure water does not conduct electricity at all. Most water is not pure but has dissolved minerals and salts which make it conductive. Fresh water is a poor conductor at the voltages we use in multirotor batteries. Salt water is a better conductor but would still take while to completely discharge a battery.
I put an old 3s battery in a bucket of water to discharge it before disposing of it. Several days later it still had plenty of charge.
Yes, we made hydrogen and oxygen from water in chemistry class but we had to add an electrolyte to make it produce much. We also put lithium metal in water and it made an explosive reaction but lithium polymer batteries do not contain pure lithium metal.
Watch this video about waterproofing electronics. At about 3:45 you will see a flight battery in water. They later coat the connections with corrosionX and the electrolysis stops. at 16:00 they add salt to the water. Still no problem.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic