Dropped the RC in fresh water

Reaction score
I see many threads out there about Phantoms taking an unexpected swims in water. But not the RC. This is what happened to me:

Out on a mission/capture I stumbled over some rocks, fell and did a face plant in a small stream. I had the RC tethered to me, but as I fell into the water, so did the RC. And the iPad as well.. Fresh water, I must tell..
The capture was half-way though (300/600 images captured) and the RC lost the contact with the bird. The Ipad got its screen crashed and the whole iPad shut down. The RC started beeping and water was driping from the ventilation holes at the bottom. A complete disaster.

I managed to switch the iPad on and when i opened the DJI App it said that it has lost contact with the drone.
I shut everything off, but as beeing out in the field I wasn't able to do much more that that.

So there I was, wet and with a bruised leg with a P4P Pro running wild. No possibibliy to control anything. After some 15 minuted i saw the bird on its way home, and a stone left my shoulders.
And the images were captured, which I LOVE Droedeploy app for. It made it's trick all by itself. Thank you!

I've disassembled the RC and left it in the sun to dry up. I think it's completely dry now.

Is there anthing else I must do? How long should I wait before I assemble it again?

Which problems can i expect after this calamity. Is i likely that I have to buy myself a new /refurbished RC?

Roger

Last edited:
Tough call.
Me personally, I wouldn’t trust it. I just look at the numbers. New aircraft, verses new controller. Good luck.

Thanks! I need some good luck now after todays excercises
It's still beeping in the same way as it does if I switched it on before the bird was up. As if it had lost its synchronization with the bird.
I think I'm going to try to reload the software tomorrow.

R

Just my opinion, but you have little to lose if you find an open field and fly it at 4 feet AGL in small circles for 25 minutes.

Thanks! I need some good luck now after todays excercises
It's still beeping in the same way as it does if I switched it on before the bird was up. As if it had lost its synchronization with the bird.
I think I'm going to try to reload the software tomorrow.

R

Reactions: cneedelman
Over time I suspect there will be corrosion. My Phantom took a dip in a fresh water lake before returning to home because of a lost link. When it came back, water was spraying from it. After landing, I turned off. More water came out when I pulled battery. I did not dissemble to inspect but did let it sit for a week before attempting to start up. Well it did start up and operated with absolutely no problems but there was a nagging distrust/fear on my part for a number of months. I did return under the CareRefresh program. They sent back pics that showed corrosion on the electronics and sent a replacement. If the same happens to me that happened to you, I would probably get a new controller for piece of mind. Just because something works does not mean that a future failure won't happen.

Reactions: edmonro
Over time I suspect there will be corrosion. My Phantom took a dip in a fresh water lake before returning to home because of a lost link. When it came back, water was spraying from it. After landing, I turned off. More water came out when I pulled battery. I did not dissemble to inspect but did let it sit for a week before attempting to start up. Well it did start up and operated with absolutely no problems but there was a nagging distrust/fear on my part for a number of months. I did return under the CareRefresh program. They sent back pics that showed corrosion on the electronics and sent a replacement. If the same happens to me that happened to you, I would probably get a new controller for piece of mind. Just because something works does not mean that a future failure won't happen.

Yo. Exactly what I decided to do after tinkering with it for some time. I disassembled the RC down to molecules, and cleansed every part with serious stuff I got from a friend working with PCB:s.
The beeping didn't stop no matter what I did. I guess some part just broke down due to a short circuit.
The job I did was a pro bono. I don't know what hurts the most: The loss, or not getting a single buck from the customer..
Sometimes life sucks big time..
:)

R

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik