Smooth panning.

Reaction score
Phantom 3 Advanced.

Is there an automatic way of panning (rotating the drone)?

All my attempts so far by gently moving the (L) stick left or right end up too fast and often jerky.

Adjust your expo way down and don’t rotate when stationary. Always have some forward movement as you rotate and you’ll get great results. But the expo is is the vital adjustment.

Reactions: dirkclod
Expo's and I don't hold the stick. I let my thumb sit on the body of the TX and slide the stick
with the side of my thumb .

Do I have to have everything connected and "ON", drone, controller etc. or can I make these adjustments just on the tablet I have the DJI GO app on and then it'll apply them when I do turn everything else on?

Do I have to have everything connected and "ON", drone, controller etc. or can I make these adjustments just on the tablet I have the DJI GO app on and then it'll apply them when I do turn everything else on?
You need to have everything connected and powered up to save the expo settings. For safety do it with the props off.

When I get mine where I want it I screenshot my settings.
Sometimes updates send em back to default and I can’t
remember as good as I once could.
But there once was a time back in my prime I could with the rest of ya. ;)

Have done, moved the expo back to "20" as flat as it'll go so now for a test flight.

Does the P3A have access to tripod mode on the Go app? Is so, I think this slows YAW down as well as other inputs. Certainly helps fine movement on the P4Pro

Not that I'm aware of ginger bloke but I'll go back through the App/manual again.

Any
Adjust your expo way down and don’t rotate when stationary. Always have some forward movement as you rotate and you’ll get great results. But the expo is is the vital adjustment.
Any particular reason why that works?

One approach that will work if the panning wanted is really slow is to do a POI Intelligent Flight Mode using a GPS point to circle around and a small radius.

The POI concentrates the camera on a focal point and rotates the AC around it. I want to keep the AC stationary and pan the view 360º from that point.
I can understand the Expo helping as it reduces the amount of input for a given amount of stick movement.
Just waiting for a still day to give it a go!

The POI concentrates the camera on a focal point and rotates the AC around it. I want to keep the AC stationary and pan the view 360º from that point.
I can understand the Expo helping as it reduces the amount of input for a given amount of stick movement.
Just waiting for a still day to give it a go!
One POI mode actually locks on a specific object and this mode requires a LARGE radius. I know what you want to do ... pivot in place to do the pan. But ... using the GPS POI mode with a SMALL radius, while not a perfect replacement for a pivot in place can give you a similar outcome with a very smooth pan. Using this approach, I have kept the gimbal in a horizontal mode.

Basically what I'm after is a 360º of our small garden in full flower, hover low over the central lawn and pan around.

Also, in addition to the EXP setting, make the sticks as long as you can comfortably manuver them (loosen the nuts on the threads on the end of the sticks, then tighten them when satisfied). Adding leverage makes the motion to move the stick longer, thus (a little) smoother.

Yes, the expo settings and long sticks help, but the most effective approach is practice making very small movements of the stick and then returning it to center the same way. And when you get that smooth motion, never let the stick snap back to center, it will produce an unpleasant video. I have always been disappointed with the jerky overly sensitive yaw/stick movements of the P4P. I came up with a physical stop on the controller that limits the sticks L/R motion and is adjustable. Its nice to just move the stick to it's set limit of travel and still concentrate on flying and getting a pleasant and creative smooth pan effect. Nearly every video I've seen on this site has jerky motions in yaw and gimbal and I find that very annoying. Oh, there's also a gimbal movement sensitivity setting in the app as well. That helps a lot, too.

I have found that rotating for 360s is always better when having some slow forward movement. Trying to do it when stationary is trickier and the Phantom seems to speed up and slow down by itself probably caused by wind. I just solved the problem, by accident, by moving forward slowly and the results are superb.

I don't have room in my little garden to move in any direction with safety, hence the 360º on the spot attempt:D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1