Signal Interference

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Need some help or sugestions here!!
So, yesterday i made a flight in a new spot, it was on the beach and 245 meters near to a lighthouse!
My P4 was fully charged like my TX, the gps signal was catching 20/21 satellites, TX signal was 100% like the image transmission.
Ipad mini 3 with more 50% of power.
I use the white Anker powerline lightning cable (1 ft).
So, about 50/60 meters height, with all signals in maximum strenght, i was always with image failure...
When i get near the lighthouse, if i was face-to-face to my P4, sometimes i get the image failure, when turning around, and stayed on is back, i get better image!!
I tryed fly around, but always getting image failure, and i wasn´t confident to fly it...
So, what i´m trying to understand is if maybe the spot as lots off interference...
If there´s any problem with the Anker cable, cause i hadn´t such image problem until now...
Any guess?!?!
Many thanks.
M14

Attachments

• DJI.jpg
    DJI.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 564
I'm a novice at this myself but from what I've been learning through many hours of reading forums and watching vids is that getting near a lighthouse can be problematic.

There is a pretty cool lighthouse near me that I'd like to fly around, but don't have the confidence to take the risk.

I'm not much of a swimmer, and even worse at diving....

Last edited:
Reactions: Alba52
Hi Guys,
Need some help or sugestions here!!
So, yesterday i made a flight in a new spot, it was on the beach and 245 meters near to a lighthouse!
My P4 was fully charged like my TX, the gps signal was catching 20/21 satellites, TX signal was 100% like the image transmission.
Ipad mini 3 with more 50% of power.
I use the white Anker powerline lightning cable (1 ft).
So, about 50/60 meters height, with all signals in maximum strenght, i was always with image failure...
When i get near the lighthouse, if i was face-to-face to my P4, sometimes i get the image failure, when turning around, and stayed on is back, i get better image!!
I tryed fly around, but always getting image failure, and i wasn´t confident to fly it...
So, what i´m trying to understand is if maybe the spot as lots off interference...
If there´s any problem with the Anker cable, cause i hadn´t such image problem until now...
Any guess?!?!
Many thanks.
M14
Hi Marley

I've flown my P4 on the same place sometime in December last year and didn't notice any interference. I live nearby and fly on the beaches around 'farol da boa nova'.
It might've been just the odd interference or a momentary glitch with equipment.
I had magnetic/compass problems when taking off from tarmac or the stone pavement by the beach.
As far as I am aware there's nothing around that could cause the interference, but I might be wrong.
Something that worries me is the Oporto airport nearby and geo fencing might go haywire...

Regards
Antonio

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is there any relatively high power transmitters/radar either nearby or on the lighthouse? They may not be on the same frequency but relatively high power transmitters can easily block the front end of the receiver.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hi Antonio!!
Glad to know there´s more Portuguese Guys here!!!And we´re almost neighbours...hehehe...maybe one day we could arrange a flight together...
Now in our native language, eu moro na Maia e sou aeromodelista há já alguns anitos, se quiser um dia combinamos aí umas brincadeiras com os nossos tarecos!! Ou se tiver interesse, posso indicar-lhe o meu clube, se ainda não for sócio de nenhum...
About my issue with interference, in fact i didn´t take off on sand or even in the tarmac, cause i started in the field near the lighthouse, wich soil was grass!!!
Darkdrone, i´ve seen lots of videos with guys flying around lighthouses, and zero problems, at least that was what it seems, so, maybe that ain´t such a big problem.
About the airport nearby, and in that especific place, we can go to 30 meters or to the limit of the top building around the place...in this case is the lighthouse.
So, if ANAC maded this rules, i guess there´s no problems, or at least it shouldn´t be!!
I´m pointing to the cable i used to connect the TX and the Ipad, i´m try again there, but with the apple cable.
But, if anyone had more sugestions, i would apreciate it.
Thanks guys.
M14

Hi Stevey!!
Yes there is.
The Oporto Airport - LPPR - as the 118.000 Mhz tower frequency and the 121.000 Mhz approach that is in Ovar i guess, but about 30 Km´s.
But like Antonio said, already flyed there, and no problems.

Hi Marley
Just passed by the lighthouse and this time I was looking for something that could interfere with our AC. I've noticed that there is a mobile antenna setup just 15-20 meters away.
This antenna array (5-6 different ones) is on a single 8 mts high pole by the road very close to the lighthouse.
Maybe this was the culprit of the imterference you suffered.
Moro em Leça do Balio, trabalho em Leça da Palmeira e podemos-nos encontrar um destes dias (quando o tempo melhorar)
All the best
Antonio

That could very well be your culprit! They can be very directional and if you get in front of them that close they will block the signal.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hi Guys!
I could accept that as my primary problem when i flyed there, but near my house, there´s a couple off mobile antennas too, and at the moment 0 problems!!
I don´t fly so close like i did in that spot, that´s a fact...
Epá eu morei em S. Mamede de Infesta durante 28 anos e desde 2002 que me mudei para a Maia, e trabalho no Porto à beira do Palácio de Cristal, daí as filmagens que tenho feito e podem ser vistas no meu canal de youtube - Nuno Rodrigues
Quando o tempo melhorar temos que combinar alguma coisa, quem sabe até naquele local para fazermos comparações das interferências ;)
M14

These theories are pretty on point and all but we all know the truth...

All lighthouses are haunted and ghosts cause the interference! :eek:

Hi guys!
Here´s the (possible) video i maded about it -
- some passages are somewhat abrupt because of the interferences that has occurred...
Even that, i hope you enjoy it!
;)
M14

Reactions: Erised
Hi guys!
Here´s the (possible) video i maded about it -
- some passages are somewhat abrupt because of the interferences that has occurred...
Even that, i hope you enjoy it!
;)
M14
Hello Nuno,
Nice to see the lighthouse from above :)
I should get my AC from repair this week and weather permitting I'll be testing this weekend somewhere further north of the lighthouse.
I' m not aware of any other people with camera drones that live around Oporto (surely there are others) and it would be nice to talk to you one of these days.
Keep flying and post the filming.
All the best.
Antonio

Hi Antonio.
Yes it´s very interesting to see how they look like above it...
There´s lots of people that have drones, but most off them go to RC clubs!! I know a few, but don´t be with them many times.
Did your AC been for repair?!?!Why?!?!To where did you send it??
I´m asking, cause i want to know, just in case...
Maybe next days i´ll do more videos, if the weather let me, but i need to improve a lot with the cam configurations.
I will buy filters too, but at the moment i´m trying to discover wich one or ones i´ll need...
If anyone could advise a good filter lens, i would apreciate it.
Cheers.
M14

Hi Antonio.
Yes it´s very interesting to see how they look like above it...
There´s lots of people that have drones, but most off them go to RC clubs!! I know a few, but don´t be with them many times.
Did your AC been for repair?!?!Why?!?!To where did you send it??
I´m asking, cause i want to know, just in case...
Maybe next days i´ll do more videos, if the weather let me, but i need to improve a lot with the cam configurations.
I will buy filters too, but at the moment i´m trying to discover wich one or ones i´ll need...
If anyone could advise a good filter lens, i would apreciate it.
Cheers.
M14
Hi Marley
Sent the AC to DJi Europe in Nederland. Problem with gimbal/camera. They issue RMA + UPS labels and within 3 weeks it's back, free of charge. Only inconvenient is the time it takes.
It should arrive this Friday and if the weather permitting I'll go to the beach for a test drive, Saturday/Sunday morning.
Where is the club you belong to? If it's nearby I might show up for a look.
Drone (with camera) flying is kind of different from RC planes and doesn't limit you to a flying field.
If you're flying this weekend let me know and we can meet.

Hi Antonio.
I hope you get it today!!!
Tomorrow the weahter wont be nice to drones...i guess, cause will rain :mad::mad:
My club is in Valongo, and it´s the nearst we can get to where we live!!
About the limitations of rc, ain´t such like that, for example, i´ve flyed heli´s in a field behind my house toons of times...eletric airplanes too...even a glow trainer!!
Of course there´s rules for it, and in case of an accident, the FPAM coul´d or will decline to assume the risk and activate the insurance...but, i´ve two personnal policies, i guess one will assume it in case.
Sunday i´m considering to make some filming but in matosinhos...i don´t know yet...i´ve a golden retriever called Marley (hehehe), and didn´t maked any stuff with him, maybe there´s a good thing...and a good spot will be in front of l´kodac...maybe...
What you think?!?!
M14

Hi Antonio.
I hope you get it today!!!
Tomorrow the weahter wont be nice to drones...i guess, cause will rain :mad::mad:
My club is in Valongo, and it´s the nearst we can get to where we live!!
About the limitations of rc, ain´t such like that, for example, i´ve flyed heli´s in a field behind my house toons of times...eletric airplanes too...even a glow trainer!!
Of course there´s rules for it, and in case of an accident, the FPAM coul´d or will decline to assume the risk and activate the insurance...but, i´ve two personnal policies, i guess one will assume it in case.
Sunday i´m considering to make some filming but in matosinhos...i don´t know yet...i´ve a golden retriever called Marley (hehehe), and didn´t maked any stuff with him, maybe there´s a good thing...and a good spot will be in front of l´kodac...maybe...
What you think?!?!
M14
Hello Nuno,
Got my bird back today. IMU and gimbal calibration, batteries charging and I'm all set to try it out tomorrow (if not raining).
Sunday I can go to Leca by "aterro/Kodak" and we can have a chat and do some flying/pictures. I prefer the morning (sun on the back and less wind or just before sunset).Take Marley.
All the best.
Antonio

Olá Antonio.
Este fds foi de loucos e não pude dar gosto ao dedo...e o jeco ficou por casa!!
No próximo acho que já vou conseguir, e estava a pensar ao fim da tarde, pois queria mm era fazer umas imagens do por do sol...
Vamos falando...
M14

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj