Show off your CUSTOM, MODIFIED, TRICKED OUT Phantoms

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25YSk7SJ-QI[/youtube]

That's it for now.

Trying to make the Phantom stick out in the snow here in MN.

I haven't really done much to mine. Added some red to the front, the stripped legs stick out well, and it's very easy to do with red electrical tape. The green prop guards are supposed to be a fluorescent color, but with all the coats I had to do it darkened. I may upgrade to larger props, which would mean larger prop guards, so I may try a primer coat on those to see if the color will be a bit brighter.

But the colored prop guards definitely help in orientation during the day when the lights are not as visible. If you're going to run prop guards, paint those things. I went with red and green to match the lights, but you can go with whatever color, or even just pain one set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395805339.116061.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395805339.116061.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 1,080
This is my P1 purchased on eBay for $230. The previous owner tried to waterproof it and did a horrible paint job on it. Part of the listing said that the GPS wasn't working. Come to find out after taking it apart he plugged a wire for the GPS into the wrong port. As far as the paint goes...nothing some sanding, goo gone and vinyl can't fix. Is it possible to paint the props or will that effect the balancing?? Thanks from a phantom noob

I was originally going to go naked on this shell, then I decided to loose the wishbone and get some backbone instead.

Hallo
that is my new aluminum phantom cover.

Attachments

• 20140428_193634.jpg
    20140428_193634.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 1,300
  • 20140428_193700.jpg
    20140428_193700.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 1,242
  • 20140428_193726.jpg
    20140428_193726.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 1,284
PhantomMags said:
This is my P1 purchased on eBay for $230. The previous owner tried to waterproof it and did a horrible paint job on it. Part of the listing said that the GPS wasn't working. Come to find out after taking it apart he plugged a wire for the GPS into the wrong port. As far as the paint goes...nothing some sanding, goo gone and vinyl can't fix. Is it possible to paint the props or will that effect the balancing?? Thanks from a phantom noob

don't paint the props. Like you said it will affect the balance.
Nor should you add vinyl to them.

Nice job on all of the customizing work. I was thinking of doing a blueish-grey on the bottom & havent decided on the top yet.

I think the mix color on the bottom will help it blend somewhat into the sky, think navy/af jets here, so its not so obvious in the sky?

For some of you that did things like the reds, oranges, bold colors, do you find people noticing it more? Asking questions? Than when it was just "bland" white.

And has anyone painted their props? Or does that affect balanced too much? I was thinking of doing 2 of the props in say blaze orange in case I drop it during flight in the woods, might make it a touch more visible? Or would I be better to put say a band of it around the arms for better visibility, with some glow in the dark paint stripes? I realize the fc40 does have a gps in it so my questions on seeing it might be moot.

Once I get mine (ordered from Adorama which is closed after 1 on Fri so wont ship till at least monday) hopefully by midweek I want to start tricking & playing with it, so in the meantime, I can start thinking & planning. Gonna be a long weekend I think :lol:

Roadkilt said:
I'm over water usually, so if all goes bad I want a chance of getting it back, dead or alive. especially the go pro. I cut bright orange foam pool noodles 17cm long each, sliced to put the landing skid in. Back from the camera to keep them out of the frame, and a tight wrap of orange tape to pinch the ends into as aerodyanamic as I can make it and to keep them from falling off in a crash. My loaded quad with battery and camera is 998 grams, I put rocks in a plastic bag and this size of foam easily kept it floating. With my name in two places on the quad my chances of recovery have gone from 0 to 5%. A huge improvement :) Bonus: it keeps the Gopro off the sandy beach, it makes soft landings and I can see it better from away. Not bad for about $2! I'm not brave/stupid enough to try wet landings and takeoffs though. I may have to do one on purpose one day if I run out of juice, at least if I can set down gentle enough it shouldnt tip over.

Have you thought of fitting wider/taller landing gear? Cost about $20 on Ebay. 270mm wide & 40mm taller. Keeps the camera out of dirt & wet grass... Just a thought :roll:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor