Show off your CUSTOM, MODIFIED, TRICKED OUT Phantoms

Well, here goes my first try posting a pic or two...

Just finished up my ground station for FPV'ing so thought I would share it. Entire thing was built by hand, so not CNC type precision, but still came out pretty nice. Recently installed an EZOSD in my Phantom, so the whole setup integrates well and you can get video down w/OSD and telemetry (runs off of an IPAD). GS also can provide video to my Fatsharks or vice versa.

Some quick stats:
Phantom: 9x4 Zinger props, Zenmuse H3-2D, Fatshark 250mw TX, EZOSD, upgraded main board, PCH skin
GS: ImmersionRC duo 5800 RX, IRC power distro box, 7" monitor, 16GB DVR (not the best quality video... but will do), speakers and lots of antenna/cable storage. Runs off a 3S battery... can power both GS and goggles at the same time.

The whole setup:
photo5_zpsbded38b2.jpg

The Ground Station:
photo3_zpsce68926f.jpg

The Phantom and case:
photo4_zps54f555bf.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Thanks guys. I'd probably do a lot of things differently on a second go around, but it was fun to build never the less.

The two biggest things I would change is to remove the original manufacturer's enclosures, and would not use the cables/adapters that came with the components. Those two things alone would reduce the weight by half. I went into the build thinking I wanted to have the components removable and still operational in case I didn't like what I built. As it turns out, that wasn't necessary.

Oh well... it doubles as a good counter balance for a bowling ball when I'm not using it for FPV. :D

Not to worry, I have a friend, also a Phantom pilot who calls mine, "Robyn's Flying Rock". He's just miffed that I can fly at a higher gross weight and do it longer, LOL

A work in Progress... (still unfinished, antennae mount, wires hanging, etc...)

1- Carbon Fiber Blades (I have a set of black plastic Props which I like better)
2- Simensays Foldable Landing Gear (w/Cross Bar for stability)
3- Goodluckbuy Gimbal (works, but hangs too low - Getting a replacement soon)
4- eBay 24 LED Head Light
5- Added Foam Skids (for protection and wider landing footprint - made from pipe insulation)
6- Phone # labels on each side and on GoPro camera (may be too small)

On order is a Futaba T8J - H TX... Garmin GTU 10... and in about a months time, New Tiger Motors...
FPV equipment is going to have to wait... $$$$

9743366288_86591c331b_c.jpg

9743366362_2d76486102_c.jpg

9743366414_855daeccb9_c.jpg

9743366420_434215cb65_c.jpg

9743366452_eb75a5fbfb_c.jpg

If this upload works, this is the latest iteration of my Phantom. New props and new power switch

What kind of switch are you using, where did you get it, and how did you hook it up? This is the first most significant mod I wanna do.

Make no bones about it, you make any mods, you may take an unexpected risk. Regarding a power switch, folks have advised "don't do it" all the way to "4-pole single throw" on the theory of having redundant power paths. That said, I used a single pole single throw 12 volt / 40 amp - 24 volt 20 amp automotive grade switch available at Radio Shack.

I opted for high current capacity at the battery voltages we use.

martcerv said:
I found that the storm 2700mah 25c battery gives me about 2 minutes more flight time. I get about 7 1/2 to 8 on stock battery and about 10 minutes on the 2700 using the setup below. The only thing with these batteries is that they are a tight fit and only 1 of my 2 fits due to the other having leads coming too far off the side.

I did almost get lost when I caught a thermal the other day and got much higher then I intended, then I wasn't sure where it was as my camera doesn't point down enough so all I saw was forest not the clearing I took off from but I landed it after 8 1/2 minute flight time using a stock battery. I would not push the battery that much normally and I was expecting it to fall out of the sky at some point :eek:

Here are some external shots of my modded phantom and some FPV practice

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIEg_O8k5zY[/youtube]

More info in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1397

Nice flight! Thanks!

FlyingFish said:

I wonder if the "military" green gets some lay people concerned with all the hysteria over drones?

:lol:

cdshepp said:
Well, here goes my first try posting a pic or two...

Just finished up my ground station for FPV'ing so thought I would share it. Entire thing was built by hand, so not CNC type precision, but still came out pretty nice. Recently installed an EZOSD in my Phantom, so the whole setup integrates well and you can get video down w/OSD and telemetry (runs off of an IPAD). GS also can provide video to my Fatsharks or vice versa.

Some quick stats:
Phantom: 9x4 Zinger props, Zenmuse H3-2D, Fatshark 250mw TX, EZOSD, upgraded main board, PCH skin
GS: ImmersionRC duo 5800 RX, IRC power distro box, 7" monitor, 16GB DVR (not the best quality video... but will do), speakers and lots of antenna/cable storage. Runs off a 3S battery... can power both GS and goggles at the same time.

The whole setup:
photo5_zpsbded38b2.jpg

The Ground Station:
photo3_zpsce68926f.jpg

The Phantom and case:
photo4_zps54f555bf.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Holy cow, what a nice set-up!

Thanks! Now if I could just convince my wife the Phantom needs an S800 to keep it company... :lol:

My Latest mod is a Futaba 8FGS.

6f2d.jpg

I did some test flights and range was ok but I suspect that the screen mount I was using was effecting it quite a bit, I dont have a pic of that but was using the mount that came with the screen as in my earlier setup below.

914z.jpg

The way this mounted to the Fuataba radio it ended up with the antenna in between the 2 big carbon fiber supports, so I used my very first monitor mount and some pieces from the new one to make the mount I have now. The antenna is no longer shielded at all by the carbon pieces and so this should help out range a bit. I did test fly to 1.3km first up then a few flights to 1km but it got real windy and so I abandoned any longer flights. With the original monitor mount I did get some radio glitches between 1 and 1.3km but it didnt get forced into failsafe. I did then turn around but also my flight location ended up with a few houses between me and the phantom so this wouldnt help a range test. Video was fine got a little grainy as I turned at 1.3km back towards me with the GoPro getting in LOS but flying back not quite head on was fine.

Here just a little example of some design work I do to these little gems. With multiple layers of clear coat you can make your phantom pop out. Oh and it does not add weight that your batteries will notice.

Attachments

• Guns.jpg
    Guns.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 1,315
Calling for 70 degrees this weekend! I am hoping for no wind- going to find out what kind of duration I can get with the dual zippys:

Retroman said:
This is very much a work in progress but it's what I have at the moment.

zf5n.jpg

Full size pic: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4496/7b78.jpg

bfyu.jpg

Full size pic: http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/602/y618.jpg

The top of the Phantom(and bottom of tx) is done in gunmetal acrylic spray paint(looks better in person than on the pics). It's got a Garmin GTU 10 gps tracker on the side and an tiny rfid tracker on the other side. The Garmin gets me close to the phantom if its lost and the rfid will bring me right to it with its tracker, beeper and small flashing led.
Custom carbon landing skids as well from ebay and the obligatory carbon props.

I think it looks ok with the top in gunmetal and the bottom in its normal white. But I actually just ran out of paint and that's the real reason it looks that way :D
Top needs another go over with a bit of paint to make it perfect but I'll wait until next week to do that.

I absolutely love the look of your Phantom. Do you have any updated pics? Also, any tips for giving it that professional look (e.g., type of paint, primer, technique, etc.)?

Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik