Should you take off the propellers after each flight? P4P

Oh thanks.... I hadn't even seen those black dots. Thanks so much now I can remove the stickers lol

Reactions: Erised
Well, just so you know from a materials science perspective the constant, designed load on that spring steel is trivial compared to the flexing that occurs each time to put them on or take them off in terms of metal fatigue.

If you don't need to take them off, don't. It's a very small bit of wear, but why incur it unnecessarily? You don't one of those retainer springs to fail while in flight.
An update: I sent my drone back to DJI due to cracks in the airframe in January, and they sent me back another. With this "new" P4, I am going to leave the props on all the time while it is at home, and only remove them during transport and maybe about once a month to check the screws. We will see how it goes.

An update: I sent my drone back to DJI due to cracks in the airframe in January, and they sent me back another. With this "new" P4, I am going to leave the props on all the time while it is at home, and only remove them during transport and maybe about once a month to check the screws. We will see how it goes.
As per your earlier post, 3,000,000' (is that right?), and no issues, I did my monthly ritual and removed them for an inspection and clean. Looks good after only 120,000 Mtrs.....

2 props have a black rings on the hub CW and the other 2 have grey rings CCW, the mounting clips with the black dots go with the props with the black rings.

Unless your flying the special edition black. Then all you will have to match is silver dots on the prop motors that take the silver ring. The other prop motors that take the black ring are blank. ;)

As well as dots and rings, you can always look at the prop pitch [emoji41].
Counter rotating props front and counter rotating at the rear.
Notice the blades "sweep in" from the outside.
For anyone interested in rotary theory of flight there are some really simple principals that can be picked up from studying basic heli principals of flight.
"Translational lift" and "retreating blade stall" , all sorts of goodies that help understand what the aircraft is doing...

Translational lift will help you get home if you are running low on battery and you have a bit of extra height;-)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Mac Drone
One of the first things I learned about quads is that the front props sweep inward while the fear ones sweep out. Because of that, I don't need the visual cues added to the props to know their placement.

Likewise, I don't need any cues on removal or replacement of the props due to the prop's pitch. Once or twice, is all it takes.

Reactions: Mac Drone
I had the same question about springs in an ammo clip. I was wondering if leaving a clip loaded would weaken the springs over a period and have a new "set". After a lot of searching, it seems the springs get weak from being used and not from being compressed for a long time. I'm sure the quality of the steel and processing has a lot to do with it.
They had a loaded 40 year old magazine found in an estate, worked perfectly. Of course they made things better back then. My intel 486 board STILL works. Can't say the same for boards bought 4 years ago.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl