Should I update Firmware?

Reaction score
All,

I have a Phantom 4 which has been flying well since I updated the Firmware last November. I have always wanted to keep things updated, but I hear a lot of bad things about the latest firmware updates. I am also not confident with updating the DJIGo app.

Should I just bit the bullet and do this?

One caveat is that I am leaving overseas next week and wanted to take the drone with me. If I update the drone and DJIGO and have issues then I am going to be in panic mode.

All,

I have a Phantom 4 which has been flying well since I updated the Firmware last November. I have always wanted to keep things updated, but I hear a lot of bad things about the latest firmware updates. I am also not confident with updating the DJIGo app.

Should I just bit the bullet and do this?

One caveat is that I am leaving overseas next week and wanted to take the drone with me. If I update the drone and DJIGO and have issues then I am going to be in panic mode.
Hold off long as possible like myself,even cautious of app updates now,read and check before uploading anything,,and DONT change your firmware if your phantom is ok,youll just upload a problem

I am *not* an experienced P4 pilot. Maybe 10 flights before this? I have multiple 'toy' quad-copters, and the Wingsland Minivet V2 ($300 1080p drone with POI and fairly advanced features for being so cheap).
Point of all this is that I don't expect much from the 'toys' - but the M-vet has been pretty good. Not as stable as the P4, but okay.
So...I was excited when I saw the P4 firmware update last night, then afterwards the "gesture" and other new features.
What *wasn't* exciting was this morning (or maybe way Too exciting): I was trying to get some aerial shots of my neighbor's house. I was about 50 feet up. I'd been flying for about 5-6 minutes, came back to the front of the house, when the P4 just started climbing. No response to pulling down (or not much). Finally stopped when saying "reached max. altitude". Thank goodness I'd reset what the update had reset it to, which I think was 500m. I'd put in 50m, I believe. I hit RTH, then saw message "within 1 foot of ground, should I continue" (or some such). at that point I canceled and pulled and kept pulling on the throttle, and it slowly descended. I got it down, but now think I need to wait for the next update. The correction. Oh, I did take it up one more time (tempt fate?) by my own house for another shot. Watched more closely and saw the altitude way off. The unit doesn't ask for a compass calibration and I don't see a way to force it (like there is on Minivet). Also, I do have this flat when turning it on. Now, reading this thread - I don't think it's me anymore. Beware this update folks!

I am *not* an experienced P4 pilot. Maybe 10 flights before this? I have multiple 'toy' quad-copters, and the Wingsland Minivet V2 ($300 1080p drone with POI and fairly advanced features for being so cheap).
Point of all this is that I don't expect much from the 'toys' - but the M-vet has been pretty good. Not as stable as the P4, but okay.
So...I was excited when I saw the P4 firmware update last night, then afterwards the "gesture" and other new features.
What *wasn't* exciting was this morning (or maybe way Too exciting): I was trying to get some aerial shots of my neighbor's house. I was about 50 feet up. I'd been flying for about 5-6 minutes, came back to the front of the house, when the P4 just started climbing. No response to pulling down (or not much). Finally stopped when saying "reached max. altitude". Thank goodness I'd reset what the update had reset it to, which I think was 500m. I'd put in 50m, I believe. I hit RTH, then saw message "within 1 foot of ground, should I continue" (or some such). at that point I canceled and pulled and kept pulling on the throttle, and it slowly descended. I got it down, but now think I need to wait for the next update. The correction. Oh, I did take it up one more time (tempt fate?) by my own house for another shot. Watched more closely and saw the altitude way off. The unit doesn't ask for a compass calibration and I don't see a way to force it (like there is on Minivet). Also, I do have this flat when turning it on. Now, reading this thread - I don't think it's me anymore. Beware this update folks!
Yip when in genaral settings you got imu and compass calibration just click on compass and do compass dance ,just remember read good before uploading anything,i do app updates depending what it says but still running same firmware from when i first buy nearly a year ago..playstore app 4.1.3,version 01.02.0602 app database 01.00.01.04 and my rc on 1.8.0 ,

Yip when in genaral settings you got imu and compass calibration just click on compass and do compass dance ,just remember read good before uploading anything,i do app updates depending what it says but still running same firmware from when i first buy nearly a year ago..playstore app 4.1.3,version 01.02.0602 app database 01.00.01.04 and my rc on 1.8.0 ,
Oh - Finally found it - you pushed me in the right direction, thanks (BTW, one YouTube tutorial just says "if DJI Go" doesn't ask for a calibration, you don't need one" Great, eh?)
So maybe it's my updated app or something but...
"main controller settings>advanced settings>sensors>[compass 'tab' at top of screen]>calibrate compass"
It was the 'sensors' selection that I wasn't registering. Now I'm set for tomorrow's battle with this willful robot.

I'm presently trying to down-grade the aircraft firmware. Looks like DJI has taken all past versions down off what DJI assistant can see. I think they did this for what the DJI GO 4 app can see only today. NOT HELPFUL - now looking throughout the web see if I can search up the previous version - and find how to load it into the P4 many are saying the app and RC upgrade can be left in place

Last edited:
Don't update yet ... the most current version of FIRMWARE is HORRIBLE !!! ... it causes far more issues than it ever fixed. The "0602" version (current) is an atrocity that did not have nearly enough testing and validation before it went out the door. It breaks so many previously working-without-issue functions and has caused many to NOT be able to fly their aircraft properly after upgrading. Wait until they fix the mess they recently sent out and ALSO wait at least a month after the 'fix' goes out, so you can poll the masses for the real results of the release (success or failure), before messing up your drone. DJI has proven with this last release that we need to be far more cautious of their claim to quality and good-workings of their software ... the proof is in the pudding and we now need to see it working across the masses before we download it.

I think the recent firmware update been somewhat
rushed by DJI for some unknown reason
There should never been so many problems
Yip totaly agree same as app updates,just got 4.0.3 now playstore saying update again,,,i dont think so,:)

Reactions: DocDiggler
I just upgraded to the new version version Aircraft 2.0.0106. Controller 1.9.2. I upgraded (using the Go4 app from my iPad) the aircraft first. During the uploading of firmware I noticed a couple of DGI errors saying incompatible device… I just ignored these as I think I've seen this in previous upgrades and let the upload continue.

However I then realised there were notes on the upgrade screen (iPad) stating that you should update the controller first and then restart it before doing anything else! I hurriedly connected my iPhone to my controller and upgraded the controller as the Aircraft was just finishing the upload of firmware to the aircraft. I cannot actually remember it saying that the upgrade had finished successfully on the iPad but remember it reporting it and uploaded it 100% to the aircraft.

I then went back to look at my controller to see how the upgrade was going, it completed successfully. I then turned back to my iPad and noticed that the upload message disappeared and it just said uploading at 99%. Nothing seemed to happen from then on (no activity on the iPad nor from the aircraft) so after a few minutes I powered off the aircraft and powered off the remote controller. After turning everything back on again the iPad reported that I had the latest firmware on my aircraft. The status on the remote controller says normal and latest firmware.

So.. I presume from this rather inarticulate upgrade, I have the latest firmware and everything is okay (though I have not flown yet)?
f61bf0240b65777a586f883a7db7433e.jpg

Last edited:
Probably should do an IMU calibration after updates like this. That would affect altitude more than compass would.
Also notes at least for the P3 says check all settings as some may have reset after upgrade. Always a good idea if notes say so or not.

Probably should do an IMU calibration after updates like this. That would affect altitude more than compass would.
Also notes at least for the P3 says check all settings as some may have reset after upgrade. Always a good idea if notes say so or not.

My Phantom says it doesn't require calibration and that they are all in the green. I would not touch these unless the app reported that I should or if there was an obvious reason I had to.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik