Should I fly with 2.4 permanently on my P4P?

Reaction score
I had a P4 for about a week and had no issues flying about 500M away and 120M high. I then got the P4P and noticed that about 100M away I am getting chopping video on my ipad during flight... I have not changed to 2.4, but was wondering if that should be the mode I should fly in permanently?

2.4 reaches further I believe. 5ghz is for areas that are heavily congested.

If I'm wrong please correct me.

2.4 is easier to intercept since it is also used on every WiFi Access Point (AP) and 5.8 isn't used on an AP. They only use 5GHz

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Waternut13134
I've been flying rc quads and planes for about 7 years now. I have flown on 433, 1.3, 2.4, and 5.8. As with older technology, the lower the frequency, the further distance you can travel due to it having better penetration through objects. 5.8 was more for line of sight transmission. However, the higher the frequency, the better video quality you had back to the receiver, but didn't have the signal penetration like the lower frequencies. 5.8 was used most often because of the small antenna size and range of available channels, within the frequency.

In today's world, and being able to switch on the fly, either or should work great. I recommend checking which frequency looks the cleanest before flight, so you can minimize the noise. Just because you're away from wifi doesn't mean the frequency doesn't have chatter.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
All things being equal the lower the frequency the better the range (lower path loss through free space) and signal penetration. But... things are rarely equal and the noise floor on 2.4 GHz is often so high in many areas these days that the much quieter 5.8 GHz band can have a decided advantage. People are seeing this effect come up all the time in P4P range tests.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues