Short Gimbal Squeak on Power On.

Reaction score
I can't find anything newer than 2016 on the subject. My P4P v2 does a short squeak on power up. After that it's quiet and smooth.

I found a YouTube video from around the time of this thread that said the noise was intentional to let you know the gimbal is ready. The video said it was fixed by a firmware update, but presumably my Phantom should have even newer firmware. Anybody else have this?

The prop motors normally "chirp" on startup if that's what you mean. Never heard gimble squeak just motors hum during startup. Post a video if needed.

From doing some more searching it seems this is "normal". After the gimbal does its dance it makes a sound when centered. Some of the old posts even noted that change notes for a newer firmware referred to "Changed the notification tone for gimbal initialization".

Some other people messed with the four plate screws on the back. I'm not going to try that idea.

The fact my gimbal is totally silent during the gimbal dance, until it centers--as well as in normal operations leads me to believe this is not a problem. Besides the sound probably doesn't emanate from the gimbal itself. I'll have to stick my ear there and see if I can tell. Here's a video of what it sounds like posted by another P4P owner.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Capt KO
It seems to me that this is like a digital sound not something from the gimbal motor.
I never experienced something similar.

Reactions: snowghost
Sounds like a friction squeak from one of the side rotating pivots. I'm guessing it's the one on the right since it has a gap that could ingest some dirt or dust. The first thing I would try is blowing some compressed air into that gap to clean it out. If that doesn't work, I might suggest a small burst of powdered white lubricant into the gap. I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to electronics, so if anyone thinks this is a bone-head idea, please speak up.

Reactions: lasersbee
Not a friction thing. I can move the gimbal freely while the unit is powered off and there is no resistance, smooth as glass. Plus when the drone is powered on the gimbal is quiet until it centers after initialization.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers