Sharing the airspace

What? Where did I say I was above 400. The drone was 400 feet from my house. The ultra lite was right above my house. I'm amazed at how many people want to argue over nonsense.

My eyes were on the sky. The ultra lite was over my house approaching me from the north. My drone was on the opposite side of my yard. So how exactly was this my fault. I saw the ultra lite stopped and waited for it to safely pass! I can see this forum is bother
More than Facebook for drones. Way too many snarky comments her.
yea this whole forum has gone down hill quick. i used to come to learn new things or inspiration on trying new things. but your totally right, people love to act all high and mighty on here and alot of the time dont know much more than you but love to put their 2 cents in about how that can be "dangerous". i come to talk to friends, not to be reprimanded like your my mother.

Reactions: itshowiroll
I'll say good job on the quick thinking and response. I'll also say that autonomous flight through a known low flying manned aircraft sector ain't the best idea.

I face a similar problem on the beach where I fly. Ultralights, microlights, private planes and all variations thereof, fly around well below 400 ft and often do circuits and bumps on the sand too. Without a good watch out and hearing there could well be a collision as they show no understanding of what might be below them. In our case not just drones but people, animals, cars, and many other things. Alongside this we have RAF fast jets, turbo props, large transports and helicopters all happily coming well down in altitude on their way to training areas.
We may be at the bottom of the food chain but as has been said, we would get the blame should something go wrong.

It sounds to me like you did the right thing. You we're under 400 ft AGL, flying within line of sight and when a manned aircraft was spotted you took action to avoid it. Good job you are a responsible UAV pilot. I live in Los Angeles and can tell you there will always be some aircraft under 400 ft AGL, sometimes they are there and we should all do exactly as you did. I don't think the CAA will care about your complaint as all aircraft have to leave and return to the ground and as such will inevitably be under 400 ft at some time or another.

In New Hampshire along the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee, the problem you described happens regularly. Ultra-lites and seaplanes fly over the tree tops in such a way that you hear them before you see them.

This prevents me from flying within 500' of the tall pine trees. Because, while I can fly my drone, as you did, up to 200' to clear tree tops, I can't see over, and beyond, the tree tops. So I need to assure a VLOS of the air space I'm flying in for at least 500' feet. Then, I find that seaplanes that are ready to land, or ultra-lites, don't like to fly high. I can'd descend rapidly. So, if I see a plane at the last minute, I have 500' to rapidly increase my altitude to just below 400'. Better yet, I don't fly on really nice, low wind days on weekends in order to avoid the risk of manned aircraft flying at the tree top level. It seems unfair ... but prudent risk avoidance is my only choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: gizmoking
Richard above said by my own admission I was above 400ft. Obviously he needs to reread my post. I was at 200 feet agl and 400-450 feet distance from my house. My suggestion wasn't for our convenience, it was for the safety of the manned pilots and people on the ground should a mishap occur. There's no mistaking a small plane or helocopter engine, but ultra lites blend into the sounds of lawnmowers too easily. I joined these forums to improve my skills, not to be lectured by someone that clearly need to brush up on his reading skills. At 58 years old, I don't have the patience for those who's primary reasons for taking part in this forum is to act as drone police or just plain A-holes.
Thank you for your post. I hope you continue to post and ignore the negativity of some people and look at it like: maybe the will learn something from it. In Canada we are limited to 300 feet AGL. I haven't yet encountered an ultra light, but I know they do operate in my area. Good to know what it will sound like when I'm out flying. As for a comment about float planes, I recently had a conversation with the pilot of one. I asked if he makes radio calls before landing and takeoff. He said he does not. I use a scanner when I'm flying and knowing there is a plane in the area would be helpful. I too have sèn a plane with landing gear fly just above the treetops, and if I was flying I wouldn't have seen or heard it coming. My suggestion to Transport Canada is if anyone is flying below 500 feet above the ground, they must make regular radio calls I dictating their low altitude.

I know this won't help in the case of an ultralight, but maybe they and us drone users should be required to use a national transportation approved app that we are required to use before our flight, that indicates where and when we are planning on flying. I know the Airmap app has something like that. Rather then try to ban or restrict flights they need to use technology to help make it safer for everybody. If you can afford to fly, then you probably have a cell phone. I'll bring this up with Transport Canada as they are proposing some changes. Stupidly their changes are about how much to charge for permits and not how to make things safer.

Thanks also for reminding me to always refresh my skills to cancel autonomous flight and take manual control. I'll also refresh cancelling a RTH as well. I think Litchi has made it easier to cancel any mission and regain manual control.

he needs to reread my post

Well let's hope you never misread anything and make a mistake from it.

It's was a MISTAKE and I admit I had to reread your post because initially I thought exactly the same thing Richard did. It's an easy mistake to make.

ADS-B IN(Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast Inbound) may be a reasonable safety solution for civilian drones in the near future. An inexpensive non-TSO’d receiver Bluetoothed to your tablet could conceivably feed aircraft position data to your map window. Technically, ADS-B OUT is conceivable for drones from the same device feeding drone coordinates from the tablet to the ADS-B IN equipped aircraft in the vicinity of the drone. No equipment would be required on the drone itself, as our drones already broadcast their positions to the controller. Large drones already implement ADS-B using TSO’d aircraft solutions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers