Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Re: Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

ianwood said:
Dtacmed said:
How hard is it to change camera tilt control from the slider to RD Knob ?

LINKAGE > FUNCTION: change GEAR control from RS to RD. Done.

That worked thanks again. Now hopefully just one more ? Can't seem to limit travel up would like to stop zenmuse before props can be seen. I can limit end points on down but can't seem to limit travel up.

Ozon8r said:
@ianwood. What range are you seeing with your futaba?

I just flew three flights today hitting 1600m b4 rth kicked in first flight. Next two flights u could only get out 900m. In comparison I ran out to 3400m same range and conditions four days ago.

I am in Los Angeles with helipads and airports galore so I don't typically stray too far beyond LOS. I've been out only to 500m thus far. Being in a city crammed with signals, I bought the Futaba as I wanted the best interference rejection one could get and as I understand it, Futaba is the gold standard.

So that said, I am as surprised as you are about your results. Have you looked at antenna position, polarization and potential for interference from vTX or other electromagnetic sources on the Phantom? You should be getting results that are at minimum as good as the stock radio and really they should be better. But it depends on a multitude of factors. Were you flying in the same area?

Dtacmed said:
That worked thanks again. Now hopefully just one more ? Can't seem to limit travel up would like to stop zenmuse before props can be seen. I can limit end points on down but can't seem to limit travel up.

I'd recommend shooting in medium FOV. It pretty much gets rid of the blades all together without limiting gimbal pitch. Either that or shoot in wide but at higher resolution and crop down and/or reduce as needed to keep props out and frame your shot as you like it.

The end point in question should be the 43 value though I can't recall off the top of my head.

I'm interested in picking up a T8FGS, but I'm not a Futaba guy. Are there different version of this TX (ie heli / air)? if so, which one would be more suited for the P2?

Thanks!

I set this up on the F550 (it doesn't have an S bus) - just plugged the cables in order from the NAZA (not from the Devo which came with the 550). Haven't flown it but it is working on the bench. Needed to recal with the NAZA software.

Am considering mating the tx to the P2 so I have only one tx to worry about. Or maybe buying another receiver and hiding in shame when I tell the wife we can't afford a new dress for her.

Hi, all!

Just thought I'd post a quick (well, not really that quick) vid that I shot today with the P2/14SG and the combination of BrandonBallard's 14SG profile modded with Ianwood's gimbal tilt goodness.

Probably some of the best footage of a dirt parking lot you'll ever see... :lol:

I got into my prop wash in the second half. Can you spot it?

http://vimeo.com/87524227

Oh...Anybody know how to imbed a Vimeo player in this dang-fool board? :?

...and the lessor Y'allTube version

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8XUrCYSB8[/youtube]

n-joy..

Muddie said:
I'm interested in picking up a T8FGS, but I'm not a Futaba guy. Are there different version of this TX (ie heli / air)? if so, which one would be more suited for the P2?

Thanks!

The Airplane version T8FGS. I have been Spektrum for quite a while but I'll have to say I really like this Radio. It comes with the ratchet throttle. I call Hobby Services and they sent the throttle centering spring assembly at no cost I had it in 2 days it you want it like the DJI Radio.

Talk about rolling out the red carpet :). Smooth pans and tilts. Looking forward to testing mine. Just need the Colorado weather to cooperate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ladykate said:
Am considering mating the tx to the P2 so I have only one tx to worry about. Or maybe buying another receiver and hiding in shame when I tell the wife we can't afford a new dress for her.
My addiction hasn't quite gone to the level of having more than one craft yet, but when it does, I intend to use the Futaba for all of them! Let us know how it goes with the F550.

skeeter said:
Probably some of the best footage of a dirt parking lot you'll ever see... :lol:
Indeed! Well done. I had my P2 flying in the dust yesterday at a racetrack with some friends. Video compressing as I write this.

Ozon8r said:
Talk about rolling out the red carpet :)
You beat me to it!

" ....on a magic carpet ride" (sticks in the head nicely, eh?)

She deserves the best!

But seriously, I usually put a few rocks on the edges to keep it from flopping about as the prop wash catches it...glad it didn't whip up and swat her out of the air. That would be, um, embarrassing....

fly on!

ianwood said:
ladykate said:
My addiction hasn't quite gone to the level of having more than one craft yet, but when it does, I intend to use the Futaba for all of them! Let us know how it goes with the F550.

The only problem I had was the receiver - the 550 doesn't have an S-Bus and the installed rx had a weird wiring diagram. I wired the Futaba in order from the NAZA. Reconfigured and calibrated the NAZA (the old Tx had some controls reversed) That sounds obvious but I had to consult multiple manuals to be sure it was true. I also changed the alarm to fit the 550 (7 minutes gives me time to get it back and land it - 550 air time with full load is 9 minutes or so). Changed the zenmuse control to the knob. Renamed the install to 550. Will use the transmitter for the P2 (and another profile) when I get the centering spring (the Futaba support people seem to not answer me... any other places I can get it?).

ladykate said:
The only problem I had was the receiver - the 550 doesn't have an S-Bus and the installed rx had a weird wiring diagram. I wired the Futaba in order from the NAZA. Reconfigured and calibrated the NAZA (the old Tx had some controls reversed) That sounds obvious but I had to consult multiple manuals to be sure it was true. I also changed the alarm to fit the 550 (7 minutes gives me time to get it back and land it - 550 air time with full load is 9 minutes or so). Changed the zenmuse control to the knob. Renamed the install to 550. Will use the transmitter for the P2 (and another profile) when I get the centering spring (the Futaba support people seem to not answer me... any other places I can get it?).

Good to hear. If I ever go 550, I may hit you up for details on the receiver install. As for emailing Futaba, I emailed both Tower Hobbies and Futaba and neither responded. But a few weeks later, I got two centering springs within a few days of each other. Turned out that one was the wrong size, so it was good that I got two of them!

ianwood said:
ladykate said:
Good to hear. If I ever go 550, I may hit you up for details on the receiver install. As for emailing Futaba, I emailed both Tower Hobbies and Futaba and neither responded. But a few weeks later, I got two centering springs within a few days of each other. Turned out that one was the wrong size, so it was good that I got two of them!

OK. Maybe I should wait before whining to them. I sent two emails to Futaba. Maybe I'll get two springs. ;-}

In the meantime, I programmed a flat spot in the thrust curve. I was able to control it 'ok' without the flat spot so I think it should work out. The main issue is an accidental bump of the throttle when hovering low. It can cause a crash - if spring loaded it eliminates that risk.

For the 550 RTF, the Rx hookup isn't rocket science. I was tentative because I hadn't done it. Run the cables from the NAZA in order (1 - 7 on the rx). In the NAZA setup, change any controls from REVERSE to NORMAL I first tried it without a camera in the gimbal but quickly learned the gimbal hates you if you do that. Otherwise, it is very straight forward. Thanks much for the head start!

P-2 Gopro zinmuse gimbal setup found on these pages puts out one awesone machine. Gret woork guys !!! on the TF8fg flies solid as a rock.

I just hit the "order" button for the Futaba T8FGS from Tower Hobbies. I may be hitting you up with a few questions ianwood when I get it as this will be my first computer radio ever! Oh BTW... I bought this radio stictly because of this thread! Read all the pages and decide I gotta have it! :)

First thing I'm gonna need is that spring to make the throttle stick center. Where do I get one of those? Link?

Well- I am now going to have to find info on setting up my Phantom for the Futaba C10G... seems the local hobby store has a brand new one in a custom made case- never used... for... get this... $350. An elderly man had collected gear for the last 5 years in preparation for retirement- he had a plane thing going and had spent thousands.

2 weeks before his retirement party he passed away. The entire lot is being sold of in the hobby store at deep discounts... I am scrambling money to grab that radio before another savvy person notices the killer deal (as if I am the only one who notices)

I am hoping to dig up info on how it gets set up- same as this in many ways I am sure.

Hiway said:
Well- I am now going to have to find info on setting up my Phantom for the Futaba C10G... seems the local hobby store has a brand new one in a custom made case- never used... for... get this... $350. An elderly man had collected gear for the last 5 years in preparation for retirement- he had a plane thing going and had spent thousands.

2 weeks before his retirement party he passed away. The entire lot is being sold of in the hobby store at deep discounts... I am scrambling money to grab that radio before another savvy person notices the killer deal (as if I am the only one who notices)

I am hoping to dig up info on how it gets set up- same as this in many ways I am sure.

C10G? never heard of that model.

DesertFlyer53 said:

C10G? never heard of that model.

Showing my ignorance... or my dyslexia.

10CG is the correct model. 2.4ghz, 10 channel, FASST .... basically the model that sets between the 14SG and the 8FG

DesertFlyer53 said:
I just hit the "order" button for the Futaba T8FGS from Tower Hobbies. I may be hitting you up with a few questions ianwood when I get it as this will be my first computer radio ever! Oh BTW... I bought this radio stictly because of this thread! Read all the pages and decide I gotta have it! :)

First thing I'm gonna need is that spring to make the throttle stick center. Where do I get one of those? Link?

Go to Futaba site, browse to support and email them ([email protected])

I sent my address and all information (including a digital receipt for the Tx). They didn't answer but I got a conversion kit in the mail today (sent the message on Saturday or so). My Tx now has a centering throttle.

By the way - I think you can replace the rocker and spring without removing anything but the glider spring and nylon cover (not even that but no sense in having the throttle have 'notches'. I didn't want to force the gimbal and ended up just threading the rocker under the gimbal axle and snagging the end with the spring and connecting it to the spring holder. A spring, an adjustment screw, a spring holder that the screw also fits, and a rocker are included in the kit. It is similar to the 8J installation that you can find on YouTube. The innards of the Tx are different but not the concept of what you want to do.

You need a phillips head screw driver (probably #1) and a pair of tweezers or long nose pliers.

ladykate said:
DesertFlyer53 said:

I sent my address and all information (including a digital receipt for the Tx). They didn't answer but I got a conversion kit in the mail today (sent the message on Saturday or so). My Tx now has a centering throttle.

By the way - I think you can replace the rocker and spring without removing anything but the glider spring and nylon cover (not even that but no sense in having the throttle have 'notches'. I didn't want to force the gimbal and ended up just threading the rocker under the gimbal axle and snagging the end with the spring and connecting it to the spring holder. A spring, an adjustment screw, a spring holder that the screw also fits, and a rocker are included in the kit. It is similar to the 8J installation that you can find on YouTube. The innards of the Tx are different but not the concept of what you want to do.

Thank you!

DesertFlyer53 said:
ladykate said:
DesertFlyer53 said:

Thank you!

Simular to the 8J however sliding out the entire gimbal was a pain. I agree slide it under instead of removing the entire gimbal. There is a circuit board on the outside of the gimbal that I found was a pain to get out and back in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.