Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Re: Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

ian wood said:
Not present in this profile is a flat spot in the throttle curve to help with the non-centering stick. If you have the non-centering stick and you want to keep it that way, you may want to program a small flat spot in the middle of the throttle curve so that when you put the stick close to center, the Phantom will hover as opposed to slowly descending or rising if you didn't center it perfectly. If you need this, let me know and I can help you set it up.

Thanks for the great tutorial. Could you help with the self centering thing? I couldn't find any video on how to achieve this and I think it would be great to have a kind od "dead zone" around the middle.
A good idea may also be to use a switch to auto hover.
May be both ways together could be the best solution as there are unused switches.

OK. So check this video out:

Or here in case that image doesn't link: https://vimeo.com/87254833. Some buttery smooth gimbal movement at the flip of a switch. Now if I can only get the Phantom to quit wiggling in the wind, I could have some decent shots.

And if you like that, then download the new profile in the original message of this thread (or here: 8FGS profile). If you have a 14SG, you can apply these settings yourself for the following sections:

gimbalslow.jpg

Nice video and definitely nice panning. I'm drooling to get this on my doorstep and try it.

Ian,

oooooh ahhhhh! Nice!

I can't seem to find the first two settings (End point and Function) on the 14SG yet....any hints?

Jimpic said:
Thanks for the great tutorial. Could you help with the self centering thing? I couldn't find any video on how to achieve this and I think it would be great to have a kind od "dead zone" around the middle.
A good idea may also be to use a switch to auto hover.
May be both ways together could be the best solution as there are unused switches.

You can program a flat spot by editing the values under MODEL MENU > THR CURVE. My suggestion would be to give yourself 5% on either side of the center where it stays at 50%. You want it to be pretty small as you don't want to have too dramatic a curve on either side and just enough so traversing the dead zone won't be lumpy. Best thing is to get the centering spring and add it. I am liking the 8FGS much more now that I did. It's not as gnarly a surgery as you might think to put it in. You just need to go slowly and carefully and it's done.

Side note for others: Even with the centering left stick, you can make a slightly non-linear throttle curve if you want to smooth out vertical motion. Just be careful not to over do it as you only have four data points and you will always want to be able to ascend out of trouble.

skeeter said:
I can't seem to find the first two settings (End point and Function) on the 14SG yet....any hints?

Should be under the linkage menu. I don't have a 14SG but it shouldn't be that different. Either way, it'll be there in there in some form. Let me know.

:D
skeeter said:

Should be under the linkage menu. I don't have a 14SG but it shouldn't be that different. Either way, it'll be there in there in some form. Let me know.

Ian, Sir, you are now my hero! I found the menus in "linkage" as you suggested. AND, it works! (how to change some of the settings and turn them "on" was a bit convoluted, but that's a Futaba thing I reckon)

Now, bwaaaa haaaaa haaaa, how would one change the rate (speed) of the gimbal and if one wanted to add a "ease in/out" curve would you change the "linear" setting?

Thank you SOOOOOooo much!

Glad you like it. Trying to smoothly tilt the gimbal without this was impossible and a big concern so I selfishly cracked that nut for myself more than anything! As for easing, I haven't found a way yet to add a curve to it but I am looking at it. The first version I had used a variation of settings I found with three program mixes and the motor function to do a crude easing but it was really just two speeds and it was noticeable when it transitioned. Not to mention it was too complicated to use.

If I could get it on a curve, it's likely the easing might only be at the very ends, e.g. 0 degrees and 90 degrees.

Ah. Got it.

Is switch SF still in play? I don't recall setting anything up for it. But I'm not in front of my controller at the moment..

skeeter said:
Ah. Got it.

Is switch SF still in play? I don't recall setting anything up for it. But I'm not in front of my controller at the moment..

SF no longer used. One less thing to think about. Put RS in the middle and use SB to smoothly tilt to three positions.

Simple goooood.

Playing with the tilt thanks for all the work and info. Does the SB switch stay in the up to begin with ? still trying to figure the movement out. Thanks Again

ianwood said:
skeeter said:
Ah. Got it.

SF no longer used. One less thing to think about. Put RS in the middle and use SB to smoothly tilt to three positions.

The gimbal solution using RS/SB combo is brilliant. I haven't a clue how it works with these settings, but it just does.

I switched the gimbal control to LS. What is interesting is that when LS is in the middle, the SB switch will only allow the gimbal to move up to 45deg even when SB is in position 1. Maybe as I come to understand the solution, I can better troubleshoot.

Dtacmed said:
Playing with the tilt thanks for all the work and info. Does the SB switch stay in the up to begin with ? still trying to figure the movement out. Thanks Again

First, make sure you're using the latest profile. I updated it the other day to change the settings for the gimbal. The way the gimbal works is a little confusing at first but pretty easy once you understand how it works:

• if you put SB in the middle, RS will give you a full manual control between 0 and 90 degrees.
  • if you put put RS in the middle, the SB switch will tilt smoothly between 0, 45, and 90 degrees.
Put another way, both RS and SB add and subtract to the position value sent to the gimbal. If both are one way the value will be beyond what the gimbal will do and so will have no effect until one or both are moved so that they add up to a value in the operating range. Make sense?

You can program a flat spot by editing the values under MODEL MENU > THR CURVE. My suggestion would be to give yourself 5% on either side of the center where it stays at 50%. You want it to be pretty small as you don't want to have too dramatic a curve on either side and just enough so traversing the dead zone won't be lumpy. Best thing is to get the centering spring and add it. I am liking the 8FGS much more now that I did. It's not as gnarly a surgery as you might think to put it in. You just need to go slowly and carefully and it's done.

Side note for others: Even with the centering left stick, you can make a slightly non-linear throttle curve if you want to smooth out vertical motion. Just be careful not to over do it as you only have four data points and you will always want to be able to ascend out of trouble.

I wonder if you might be able to go into a little more detail about how to do this?
I cant work out how to give 5% each side of the centre...to me it looks like all I can do is give 25% each side.

To put in a flat spot for the non-centering left stick, try these settings:

throttle-flat-spot.jpg

ianwood said:
Dtacmed said:

First, make sure you're using the latest profile. I updated it the other day to change the settings for the gimbal. The way the gimbal works is a little confusing at first but pretty easy once you understand how it works:

• if you put SB in the middle, RS will give you a full manual control between 0 and 90 degrees.
  • if you put put RS in the middle, the SB switch will tilt smoothly between 0, 45, and 90 degrees.
Put another way, both RS and SB add and subtract to the position value sent to the gimbal. If both are one way the value will be beyond what the gimbal will do and so will have no effect until one or both are moved so that they add up to a value in the operating range. Make sense?

Got it. Thank you for your time invested I sharing this info.

TassieJon said:

I wonder if you might be able to go into a little more detail about how to do this?
I cant work out how to give 5% each side of the centre...to me it looks like all I can do is give 25% each side.

Put the centering spring in yesterday. Felt like I was doing Neurosurgery. Sweating by the end of the operation but the radio pulled through just a little slow to respond afterwards but doing fine now lol. Wonder if there is way to smooth the slide lever ?

How hard is it to change camera tilt control from the slider to RD Knob ?

Dtacmed said:
How hard is it to change camera tilt control from the slider to RD Knob ?

LINKAGE > FUNCTION: change GEAR control from RS to RD. Done.

@ianwood. What range are you seeing with your futaba?

I just flew three flights today hitting 1600m b4 rth kicked in first flight. Next two flights u could only get out 900m. In comparison I ran out to 3400m same range and conditions four days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.