Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Hey guys,

I'm about to purchase a 2nd hand transmittor advertised as

"Futaba 8FGH Super 2.4GHz FASST Heli Radio System Mode 2"

The H in the 8FGH I assume is 'HELI' mode. Is this the one to get?

Futaba 14SGH Question;

Just a shot in the dark here but; has anyone found a way to slow down the tilt speed, on the right hand slider that controls the gimbal tilt, for a Zenmouse H3-2D gimbal? As you may remember the gimbal settings in Naza do nothing for the Zenmouse.

channel 5/gear, is currently set to 135 100 100 135.
I've tried calibrating X1/RS, powering off the aircraft and changing the above values-but it only changes the tilt range-not the speed.

Also-has anyone figure out how to make the Auto tilt switch, SC, tilt just a little faster?

Hey guys,

I'm about to purchase a 2nd hand transmittor advertised as

"Futaba 8FGH Super 2.4GHz FASST Heli Radio System Mode 2"

The H in the 8FGH I assume is 'HELI' mode. Is this the one to get?
Yes, the H means helicopter. It may or may not have a self-centering throttle. Some say they do-but don't.
Also-if it's not a Super, you can upgrade the firmware to make it a Super, for free. Just to go Futaba's website and click on your model and you'll fine the 2 pieces of software you'll need to do the upgrade along with instructions.

To load the settings on page 1, you will need to download the Futaba Utility program. Also-you will need an SD card-not SDHC.

ianwood said:
V5 is alive! Download here: T8FGS profile v5 for Phantom 2

I'm converting to a Futaba 8FG radio with my Phantom2 (non vision) but I'm having trouble copying Ianwood's file which I download to my desktop fine, but can't extract the zip file to my 2gb card. I keep getting the message their isn't enough room, yet the 2gbcard has been re-formated in my Futaba radio. Any suggestions?

Alec said:
ianwood said:
V5 is alive! Download here: T8FGS profile v5 for Phantom 2

I'm converting to a Futaba 8FG radio with my Phantom2 (non vision) but I'm having trouble copying Ianwood's file which I download to my desktop fine, but can't extract the zip file to my 2gb card. I keep getting the message their isn't enough room, yet the 2gbcard has been re-formated in my Futaba radio. Any suggestions?
You need to download the futaba utility program and install it. Then, with your card in your card reader, click on "mount". You will see 4 slots are taken. Click on V5 and drag it over to an open slot on that list. Then click "un-mount" and remove the card.
The rest of the instructions are on page 1

havasuphoto said:
Futaba 14SGH Question;

Just a shot in the dark here but; has anyone found a way to slow down the tilt speed, on the right hand slider that controls the gimbal tilt, for a Zenmouse H3-2D gimbal? As you may remember the gimbal settings in Naza do nothing for the Zenmouse.

I've tried calibrating X1/RS, powering off the aircraft and changing the above values-but it only changes the tilt range-not the speed.

Also-has anyone figure out how to make the Auto tilt switch, SC, tilt just a little faster?

You can reduce the gimbal tilt gain in the software assistant which will slow it down, I have mine set about ¼ from the left (not got it connected so can't give the exact value).

To speed up the gimbal auto tilt you need to go into the Model Menu, page 2, Motor page 2. The profile default value for speed is 26 which is very slow. Changing all four values to 24 gives 5 seconds from 0º to 90º which seems about right. The range is 0 (no delay) to 27 (minimum speed, very slow).

Cheers,

Rory

Attachments

• IMG_1024.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 496
RoryG said:
havasuphoto said:
Futaba 14SGH Question;

You can reduce the gimbal tilt gain in the software assistant which will slow it down, I have mine set about ¼ from the left (not got it connected so can't give the exact value).

To speed up the gimbal auto tilt you need to go into the Model Menu, page 2, Motor page 2. The profile default value for speed is 26 which is very slow. Changing all four values to 24 gives 5 seconds from 0º to 90º which seems about right. The range is 0 (no delay) to 27 (minimum speed, very slow).

Cheers,

Rory
Thanks-that did the trick on the auto-tilt.
But-my other problem with the H3-2D, is not fixable in Naza. The gimbal page in Naza for the 2D gimbal, does nothing. If you hook up to the 2D GCU, there are no adjustments either.
The 2D is on another aircraft with another profile. So-basically there is no way so slow the speed at which the right slider moves the gimbal, through any changed in the 14SGH remote settings.

havasuphoto said:
RoryG said:
havasuphoto said:
Futaba 14SGH Question;

Cheers,

Rory
Thanks-that did the trick on the auto-tilt.
But-my other problem with the H3-2D, is not fixable in Naza. The gimbal page in Naza for the 2D gimbal, does nothing. If you hook up to the 2D GCU, there are no adjustments either.
The 2D is on another aircraft with another profile. So-basically there is no way so slow the speed at which the right slider moves the gimbal, through any changed in the 14SGH remote settings.

You could use the servo speed function on the 14SG (page 82 on the manual) although that would affect the auto tilt as well. Try various values on the gear servo (channel 5), with 0 being full speed and 27 incredibly slow. Try various speeds until you find one that suits. This will only work on the 14SG as the 8FG doesn't have servo speed directly.

Cheers,

Rory

Attachments

• Untitled 4.png
    Untitled 4.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 516
Thanks-I'll give that a try. So, +1 through +27 are all slower-interesting. It doesn't go negative-already tried that.

I'll make the adjustments to the F650 model....that way it won't effect my H3-3D, which tilts just fine.

1 more question; I have the 70008SB receiver, set to Mode 2, using S-bus out into X2 on Naza. Does that mean I have 1 free channel to control lights?
I want to plug a servo wire into Channel 8, and use the 1 switch that is not assigned to anything on my 14SGH, to turn lights on, or off.
How do I do that-and can I?
thanks

havasuphoto said:
1 more question; I have the 70008SB receiver, set to Mode 2, using S-bus out into X2 on Naza. Does that mean I have 1 free channel to control lights?
I want to plug a servo wire into Channel 8, and use the 1 switch that is not assigned to anything on my 14SGH, to turn lights on, or off.
thanks

No reason why not, assuming your lights have a controller? Just assign the switch to a free aux function on channel 8 using the function menu then check it on the servo monitor.

Cheers,

Rory

RoryG said:
havasuphoto said:
thanks

No reason why not, assuming your lights have a controller? Just assign the switch to a free aux function on channel 8 using the function menu then check it on the servo monitor.

Cheers,

Rory
Why couldn't the receiver control the lights-either power on, or power off? The power to the lights could come from a 5Volt BEC-and just use the single control wire into channel 8 servo to control the on/off action?

havasuphoto said:
RoryG said:
havasuphoto said:
thanks

Cheers,

Rory
Why couldn't the receiver control the lights-either power on, or power off? The power to the lights could come from a 5Volt BEC-and just use the single control wire into channel 8 servo to control the on/off action?

Power is always on the servo output so you would need a controller to switch power to your lights with the switch, I have a similar setup on one of my fixed wing aircraft and got a cheap controller from Hobbyking to switch them on and off.

Rory

did you already post a link to that switch?
So-power from the servo is always on? Would I have to hook up the control wire, and the ground, from the switch to the servo? And then power and ground from BEC to switch also?

Hi,

I've noticed there's an undocumented feature in V5 which could cause issues. SG which is listed as N/A (unused) is actually mixed to the elevator control via the RD. If SG is in the fully down (forward) position then the RD controls elevator - forward and back. In the centre position it is at 0, fully right 100% and fully left -100%. Although useful for flying the aircraft forward and backwards hands free, if you were unaware of this and the mix was active at takeoff your Phantom could head off forwards or backwards as soon as it lifts off, possibly causing damage or worse, injury.

It can be disabled by going into the Model menu, Program Mixes and inhibiting Pmix 5.

Cheers,

Rory

RoryG said:
Hi,

I've noticed there's an undocumented feature in V5 which could cause issues. SG which is listed as N/A (unused) is actually mixed to the elevator control via the RD. If SG is in the fully down (forward) position then the RD controls elevator - forward and back. In the centre position it is at 0, fully right 100% and fully left -100%. Although useful for flying the aircraft forward and backwards hands free, if you were unaware of this and the mix was active at takeoff your Phantom could head off forwards or backwards as soon as it lifts off, possibly causing damage or worse, injury.

It can be disabled by going into the Model menu, Program Mixes and inhibiting Pmix 5.

Cheers,

Rory
I checked my Program Mix 5-which is set to "gear", RS, and Off. I flipped SG and watched for any changes or reversals in elevator and rudder-and didn't see any changes.
So, I'm not sure if I was looking at the right setting, or what?
I have a 14SGH.

Rory is right. SG in the up position will use RD to trim the elevator. I was messing with additional program mixes and didn't clear it. Take note everyone. Keep your SG down and RD centered unless you're using them for something else.

I am thinking to use SG/RD as a modifier for adding more roll to the SE/LD program mixes.

ianwood said:
Rory is right. SG in the up position will use RD to trim the elevator. I was messing with additional program mixes and didn't clear it. Take note everyone. Keep your SG down and RD centered unless you're using them for something else.

I am thinking to use SG/RD as a modifier for adding more roll to the SE/LD program mixes.
Don't you mean keep the SG switch in the back position?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT