Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Re: Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

nhirsch said:
Assistant also has Receiver Advanced Protection. If that is enabled and there is no change in A/E/R/T for some period of time (20-30seconds), then the autopilot will think something is wrong and go into failsafe. I imaging "hold" is not making any changes so that might be the override.

That additional layer of protection is there in the Naza but it isn't used. FS is kicking as soon as I switch off the transmitter. No 20 second delay.

ianwood said:
nhirsch said:
Assistant also has Receiver Advanced Protection. If that is enabled and there is no change in A/E/R/T for some period of time (20-30seconds), then the autopilot will think something is wrong and go into failsafe. I imaging "hold" is not making any changes so that might be the override.

That additional layer of protection is there in the Naza but it isn't used. FS is kicking as soon as I switch off the transmitter. No 20 second delay.

I was responding to the idea if a Futaba receiver was in the Phantom and configured to hold (as people have suggested might be the case) if transmitter goes off, and if the Receiver Advanced Protection was on, it would still kick into failsafe after a delay. The stock receiver wouldn't have hold or delay--it would go into failsafe right away.

Revised profile: 8FGS profile v3

New features:

• Forced fail-safe on switch SB. Will force the Phantom into fail-safe mode regardless of mode switch (SD) position.
  • Fail-safe setting added to make sure that no matter what the Naza engages fail-safe when the transmitter is shut off and there is no "holding" of current positions. I have noticed this currently has no effect as the fail-safe is already triggered when the receiver detects the signal is lost. At that point, the Naza effectively ignores the receiver until it regains signal.
As always, please confirm the features work as intended using the Phantom Assistant before flying.

ianwood said:
Forced fail-safe on switch SB

I think it's SF not SB, according to the new picture you uploaded in the first post ot this thread. I will test this as soon as I can. I lost my Phantom 2 days ago and Failsafe didn't bring it back... My tracker helped me find it.
Thanks for this updated profile Ian!

Jimpic said:
ianwood said:
Forced fail-safe on switch SB

I think it's SF not SB, according to the new picture you uploaded in the first post ot this thread. I will test this as soon as I can. I lost my Phantom 2 days ago and Failsafe didn't bring it back... My tracker helped me find it.
Thanks for this updated profile Ian!

My mistake. It is indeed SF. Did you figure out the cause of your FS issue? I confirmed both versions of the profile trigger FS when signal is lost using the Futaba RX. And it appears it does the same with the stock RX as well according to DesertFlyer's post. I simply added the additional layer of protection in case some day DJI posts a new firmware that supports the hold function on the Phantom.

My Failsafe issue is not linked to the Futaba radio.
In fact I was flying fast at very low altitude (10 m) in ATTI mode with goggles on. When the Phantom came back, I kept the same orientation facing north and the phantom heading south. It was flying in my back... Then it flew behind a concrete building (the only one on the beach) and the video signal was suddenly lost... I changed SD to GPS and SA to Home Lock and pulled the right stick but it didn't come back. Then at last I triggered the Failsafe switch (SD down). I guess FS didn't work correctly.
I laways had an issue with S1 (DJI radio) or SD (Futaba radio). Sudden fall when i manually triggered failsafe. Like in this video I made:
http://vimeo.com/86003099

I tried many things:
- quicker move on S1
- replacing the switch with a new one
- test without gimbal/gopro/transmitter
- new radio: Futaba

Whatever I tried, I still had this quick fall in case of a forced failsafe or when I regained control after a failsafe.
Every time it recovered after loosing 15m.
This time my Phantom was very low and had no chance to recover from this altitude.
I think it may be a bug in the naza.

Hi guys. I just installed the throttle centering spring that Futaba sent me for my T8FGS. Checking everything out in the P2 assistant software and noticed that the throttle isn't centering exactly. Did the calibration thing and it didn't help. It's only off slightly. Is there a way to adjust this in the Tx. Moving the throttle trim doesn't seem to do anything. Took the P2 out for a flight and everything seem to work fine. Should I not worry about this?

DesertFlyer53 said:
Hi guys. I just installed the throttle centering spring that Futaba sent me for my T8FGS. Checking everything out in the P2 assistant software and noticed that the throttle isn't centering exactly. Did the calibration thing and it didn't help. It's only off slightly. Is there a way to adjust this in the Tx. Moving the throttle trim doesn't seem to do anything. Took the P2 out for a flight and everything seem to work fine. Should I not worry about this?

My 10CAG does the same thing- except my trim will center it.

I have my channel 3 (throttle) set up in F/S to lock at 53% anyway- so what the centered throttle basically does, and is, in regards to the stock radio, is offer a dummy proof means of not forgetting to place your throttle stick back to mid point, or 50% when coming out of F/S lest your Phantom falls to the ground proving the law of gravity in the worst possible way. All of my studying over the last 2 weeks has brought me to that conclusion, and I am considering removing the spring now... simply because it plays hell with my other profiles for other quads I have programmed in.

My biggest hassle- and this is without a single test flight on the new radio, is the throttle cut off at 0 input on channel 3 (throttle) as that sucks... I cannot find a way to turn it off if there is one.

I also have discovered while installing and binding my new FrSky Rx that if the Rx failsafe is not configured in one of 2 options, then when the F/S kicks in- whatever the last inputs were to the radio are what it holds- meaning it is going to keep going wherever it was pointed at whatever speed it was going. I was glad it was on the bench while I was testing it- I hit the throttle full forward with both sticks and flipped the F/S and it just kept humming with the yellow LED flashing F/S. I kind of like the redundant F/S on the Rx as it is programmable as easy as setting your sticks and radio in the F/S position, and rebinding and it memorizes that. I am guessing the best option is to activate the Rx F/S for a basic no input and let the Naza just take over- but I do not know if I am understanding it precisely yet. Regardless- the reason I put the FrSky in was so I could have my 8th channel separate from the s bus and naza- that is where the retracts will go.

Just to update for everyone, both forced F/S (SF) and switching off the transmitter F/S confirmed in their air today. Actually it was the first time I tried F/S in the air. Glad to see it worked!

DesertFlyer53 said:

If you're fully calibrated with the assistant software, I would guess it's not physically hitting the physical center point when you let go. On the transmitter, go to LINKAGE > SERVO and look at channel 3. My guess is it will be slightly off. Should be zero. And then check the value in the assistant. I don't think it's an issue if it's only a couple off.

ianwood said:
Just to update for everyone, both forced F/S (SF) and switching off the transmitter F/S confirmed in their air today. Actually it was the first time I tried F/S in the air. Glad to see it worked!

I don't do it other than to check to see if it works after I have worked on the airplane. Kinda neat when it goes up, flies over and the iosd announces it is landing.

AFA Desertflyer's experience with hold on a non-Phantom rx. That is similar to my problem with the F550. I had to do a few hoop jumps to fix mine but there is always the web and videos. Found a fix for mine there.

ianwood said:
On the transmitter, go to LINKAGE > SERVO and look at channel 3. My guess is it will be slightly off. Should be zero. And then check the value in the assistant. I don't think it's an issue if it's only a couple off.

If the center point is slightly off, can I adjust it in the transmitter settings? Not that it needs to be perfect, but would be nice to know how to do this. I'm still learning this Tx. Also, what do the trim tabs on the Tx do? I was playing with them the other night while my P2 was hooked to the computer with the P2 Assistant software running and they did not seem to have any affect on anything.

DesertFlyer53 said:
If the center point is slightly off, can I adjust it in the transmitter settings? Not that it needs to be perfect, but would be nice to know how to do this. I'm still learning this Tx. Also, what do the trim tabs on the Tx do? I was playing with them the other night while my P2 was hooked to the computer with the P2 Assistant software running and they did not seem to have any affect on anything.

Trims do nothing at present. I don't trust myself to check them every time I take off or to not accidentally press them in flight. You can assign the throttle if you want and correct for the physical offset. LINKAGE > FUNCTION > channel 3 trim.

ianwood said:
DesertFlyer53 said:

Trims do nothing at present. I don't trust myself to check them every time I take off or to not accidentally press them in flight. You can assign the throttle if you want and correct for the physical offset. LINKAGE > FUNCTION > channel 3 trim.

Good point about checking the trims before flight. I might miss that too. Think I'll leave it alone for now. Nice to know how to do it though. Thanks!

Ianwood said:
Just to update for everyone, both forced F/S (SF) and switching off the transmitter F/S confirmed in their air today.

When you switched SF, was F/S confirmed by iosd-mini on your FPV screen (or in your goggles)? as I know someone who didn't get this confirmation on his screen after trying with the new profile.

Jimpic said:
Ianwood said:
Just to update for everyone, both forced F/S (SF) and switching off the transmitter F/S confirmed in their air today.

When you switched SF, was F/S confirmed by iosd-mini on your FPV screen (or in your goggles)? as I know someone who didn't get this confirmation on his screen after trying with the new profile.

Yes, confirmed in OSD. SF is using a program mix to change the value of SD (tied to AUX5) so that channel U on the Naza goes to one of the two failsafe positions. You can also confirm it in the Phantom Assistant software.

ianwood said:
Revised profile: 8FGS profile v3

New features:

• Forced fail-safe on switch SB. Will force the Phantom into fail-safe mode regardless of mode switch (SD) position.
  • Fail-safe setting added to make sure that no matter what the Naza engages fail-safe when the transmitter is shut off and there is no "holding" of current positions. I have noticed this currently has no effect as the fail-safe is already triggered when the receiver detects the signal is lost. At that point, the Naza effectively ignores the receiver until it regains signal.
As always, please confirm the features work as intended using the Phantom Assistant before flying.

I have a new Futaba 14SG and a F550 w/Naza V2 coming today. Any idea if your profile will work with my transmitter and receiver?

Hello
Forced fail-safe on switch SB does not work, are you sure that is a good file ?
Regards

lgeist said:
I have a new Futaba 14SG and a F550 w/Naza V2 coming today. Any idea if your profile will work with my transmitter and receiver?

As far as I know, the profiles are model specific. There is a 14SG profile on this forum but it will have different features.

lepeux said:
Forced fail-safe on switch SB does not work, are you sure , is a good file

Yes, I am sure. Confirmed on the ground and in the air with both Phantom Assistant and OSD. Everyone's setup is slightly different which could produce a different outcome. Are you in Phantom mode or Naza M? I don't know if F/S can be forced in Phantom mode. Regardless, you should use the Phantom Assistant software to check the "Control Mode Switch" for each combination of SD and SF. SD should switch between the 1st (GPS), 3rd (ATTI) and 5th (F/S or manual) mode positions. With SF up, the mode should either be in the 2nd (F/S) or 4th (F/S) positions.

Everyone else should confirm their F/S functions in Phantom Assistant and/or OSD before flying. This stuff is all new and just because it works for me doesn't mean that it will be the same for you.

Yes i am on Naza mode. and of course I watched my F/S functions in Phantom Assistant and/or OSD before flying, but nothing :|

lepeux said:
Yes i am on Naza mode. Of course I confirmed my F/S functions in Phantom Assistant and/or OSD before flying.

And the results are what? Does the Phantom Assistant show the control mode switch in the right position for each combination of SD and SF?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT