Set forward direction in Course Lock

Reaction score
I switched to Naza mode a while back, haven't used IOC that much yet. Will be doing some aerial footage of wakeboarding on a straight line soon. So I wanted to experiment with CL. So far so good, but while I was flying last weekend I tried to change the recorded forward direction (while I was hovering in the air) by switching between Off - CL 5 times as explained in the naza manual. But it didn't change the forward direction. Is it only possible doing this on the ground? The manual's english is quite bad I think.

cheers

That is the way to do it. Try varying up the pace of flipping the switch. Also make sure you are only toggling between off and CL and not toggling down to HL as that will reset your home location for RTH!

I've said it before that setting the course lock heading should be a matter of switching to CL and whatever heading you're on becomes the locked heading. Much easier. DJI, please make this possible.

Semi-related: I've had IOC enabled for a while but can't get CL or HL to work. In the software, it acknowledges that S2 is being flipped to the right stops but when I set it to HL when I'm flying and pull back on the stick, it still just goes backward, relative to whatever way it is facing.

Anything I should check?
I'd like to play around with these modes.

poostik said:
Semi-related: I've had IOC enabled for a while but can't get CL or HL to work. In the software, it acknowledges that S2 is being flipped to the right stops but when I set it to HL when I'm flying and pull back on the stick, it still just goes backward, relative to whatever way it is facing.

Anything I should check?
I'd like to play around with these modes.

There's a radius around the recorded home point (10m I think) within which HL doesn't function...are you outside that range when testing?

OI Photography said:
There's a radius around the recorded home point (10m I think) within which HL doesn't function...are you outside that range when testing?

crap!

I think I was. I tried it twice and I think I was probably just at that point when I tried it. Gotta go out further.

Thanks!

ianwood said:
That is the way to do it. Try varying up the pace of flipping the switch. Also make sure you are only toggling between off and CL and not toggling down to HL as that will reset your home location for RTH!

I've said it before that setting the course lock heading should be a matter of switching to CL and whatever heading you're on becomes the locked heading. Much easier. DJI, please make this possible.

Yeah, I was cautious not to hit the OFF-HL combo for changing home location. You absolutely right that setting the CL direction should be done the time you switch to CL, strange.

scratch009 said:
Yeah, I was cautious not to hit the OFF-HL combo for changing home location. You absolutely right that setting the CL direction should be done the time you switch to CL, strange.
Don't expect that to happen. If I have lost orientation when my Phantom is far away and I want it to fly in a specific direction I can switch to CL and push the stick in a direction I KNOW will let it fly in a specific direction. That's what happens now. If the direction would be set the moment I switch to CL I would still be without orientation because it would be the same as no IOC as long as I don't rotate. It would only add to the confusion.

That's not how DJI intended it to be used is my guess.

scratch009 said:
ianwood said:

Why would you want to set CL if you can't even see your machine. CL and HL are safety measures for out of sight flying. Check that the LED's blink 5 times when switching between Off and CL or between CL and HL then you'll know that the new heading and/or location is set.

Big Ben said:
scratch009 said:
Don't expect that to happen. If I have lost orientation when my Phantom is far away and I want it to fly in a specific direction I can switch to CL and push the stick in a direction I KNOW will let it fly in a specific direction. That's what happens now. If the direction would be set the moment I switch to CL I would still be without orientation because it would be the same as no IOC as long as I don't rotate. It would only add to the confusion.

That's not how DJI intended it to be used is my guess.

I'd say HL is mainly used when you're confused about the direction of your machine and want to head it back towards you (stick back) or do some circular movements around HL. I would use CL mainly for taking footage on a straight line (in my case wake boarding). I would be able to pass the boat while yawing to a different direction and still maintain heading. But as you said, CL could also be used to define a well known direction. Either way, if I manage to change the direction by turning the switch 5 times, that's fine. Personally I wouldn't mind registering heading when I turn on CL.

scratch009 said:
I'd say HL is mainly used when you're confused about the direction of your machine and want to head it back towards you (stick back) or do some circular movements around HL. I would use CL mainly for taking footage on a straight line (in my case wake boarding). I would be able to pass the boat while yawing to a different direction and still maintain heading. But as you said, CL could also be used to define a well known direction. Either way, if I manage to change the direction by turning the switch 5 times, that's fine. Personally I wouldn't mind registering heading when I turn on CL.

Exactly. CL seems very much to me an opportunity to maintain a heading while yawing independently as a video technique within LOS. I've never considered CL to be a valuable tool for BVR navigation and frankly I don't see a situation where I would use it over HL. If I don't know exactly where my P2 is, what's the point of flying a specific heading? For navigational purposes, flying a specific heading is only useful over miles of travel. At close range, navigation by heading alone is not very accurate.

I'm still having difficulties setting CL direction. It seemed to work one time when I just took off and set CL direction by flipping switch between Off-CL several times. Halfway in the flight when I wanted to change the direction I flipped the switch many times but it didn't seem to record the new direction. I've been filming wakeboarding while I sit in the boat. Really nice if the CL direction is the same as the boat, making filming sideways much easier.
I'm still on FW1.8 though, not sure if there's any changes with CL in the newer firmware?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik