Seattle Drone Pilot gets 30 days in jail + fine

Now, when we are sitting around the campfire this summer and I show the friends that I only see in the summer what I got in the winter and anyone says "oh you got a drone", that's a whole different story.

Honestly? Know what I'd do?

I'd express sympathy, and ask about the baby's prognosis. I'd shift the focus to the operator. I'd ask questions about whether it was being operated unsafely, if he/she was new or inexperienced, whether authorities were involved and what actions were taken. My focus would be the baby, and the actions leading up to the incident. Maybe even suggest that they can be dangerous without proper safeguards and practice and if flown unsafely, operators can bring negative feelings toward the sport.

And I simply, and naturally, wouldn't use the word drone throughout the conversation any more than I'd use the word "n" or *** while I was speaking.

Because in the end, neither a drone, nor a UAV, quadcopter or Heli-anything blinded anyone. The guy that took it out of the box did.

I don't agree with equating "drone" to the N word. Seems a bit of a stretch to me.

In bold: excellent close to a good post. Where we agree is that operators, not the name, are what make drones look bad or good.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
I don't agree with equating "drone" to the N word. Seems a bit of a stretch to me.

I understand what you mean and I agree. It's a pretty aggressive comparison; I was making reference to the previous post.

It's really no different than calling someone a "******" or "idiot"... these were all acceptable terms when they were coined, but were misused to the point of being derogatory. What sets them apart though is that they are "personified" rather than objectified.

In bold: excellent close to a good post. Where we agree is that operators, not the name, are what make drones look bad or good.

Thank you, and yes we do agree on that.

Wow... see what I mean? Even as mild as it is, that word is unacceptable to the filters. It's the word that is a lot like retread, used in the psychological field. It also means "delay" or "behind" in French.
df3b528b12c8e002357d90d6316d117b.jpg

Last edited:
Solution: 2 pictures, on the left a fully armed Predator, sporting every missile known to man; on the right any model Phantom. Under the Predator the caption : "Deadly Rigidwing Overkill Nuke-capable Erradicator, or DRONE". Under the Phantom: "A model rotorcraft used for filming family reunions, beautiful nature shots, Mom and apple pie, sometimes mistakenly called a DRONE." This public service ad sponsored by AMRA, the American Model Rotorcraft Association, sponsoring responsible pilots nationwide. We all chip in to the Association, which circulates the ad everywhere they can. We're halfway home because we speak responsibly, condoning none of the irresponsible actions of outlaw pilots, and we legitimize our sport as being characterized by down to earth, levelheaded pilots. We're even regulated by a federal agency. No thanks, local government, we don't need more laws, we got the carrot and the FAA's got the stick.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Sorry. I stopped reading after the 3rd sentence in the 4th paragraph.
:confused:
Since the 22rd of January I've been in an ongoing debate with probably 25 to 30 of my neighbors in an online app called NextDoor. I wish you all could see it. But I have no idea how to get you into our neighborhood discussions since it's highly unlikely any of you live in my neighborhood. But I decided to stand up to stupidity, ignorance, urban myths and collective acceptance of misinformation about us and our "drones". I, too dislike the word drone for several reasons. It reminds me of the other usage of someone droning on about this or that. Never complimentary. It rhymes with moan and it is a fact that people's perception of something IS directly effected by the word used to describe it. Even when I'm in the presence of someone 'droning' on about how they hate drones it's clear from how they even say the word DrOhnnn like it pains them. You can't pull that sort of moronic symbolism (I call it moronic because it's effective with sheep like followers who grab on to brilliant declarations like "it's an invasion of privacy" or "and they're illegal"). These type of people typically call them drones because they don't know a **** thing about them other than that they heard this story in Seattle glorified by the media and people at the water cooler at work are droning on about how they wish they'd outlaw "those dangerous toys" or whatever emotion stirring adjectives they want to put on them. One guy I know calls them peeping drones because he thinks if one flies within his eyesight it MUST be filming him, invading his privacy and perhaps stealing his identity or even his soul (if he has one). Anyway, not to be hyper technical but quadcopters is also too specific and at times incorrect. These are UAV's or multirotors, are they not? Not all multirotors have four props. Not even DJI's products are all quads, so I think the debate on what to call them is appropriate, healthy for the whole industry and sooner or later public perception will be changed or lean in the other direction. I firmly believe that allowing these to be referred to as drones (I'm going to get nailed for this, but bring it on) which is factually an incorrect term that does conjure up scary even negative emotions regarding weapons used by the military (glad they do) is no different than someone referring to a black person as a "n word". Before it became so evil and wrong to ever use that word or even spell it out it was NOT always meant in a derogatory way, but unfortunately it evolved quickly to mean something and imply something derogatory. I am against using the word due to it, but the absolute fact behind that word is it was at first an innocent mispronunciation of the word negro. I'll even go out on a limb and say that the word *** did the same thing. How did the British term for a cigarette ever evolve into a hateful word used to describe what PC folks love to label them as homosexuals. That word has TOO MANY syllables and it isn't helpful to the gay community or the LGBTQ ....etc. add another akbhabet letter every year...all that stuff is really just stupid. Before anyone jumps me about this I've spent a lot of time thinking about it and it directly effects me as a gay multirotor operator or (GMO). Just opened the door there for a multitude of jokes. No problem. Seriously though, until the black community stops insisting they be known as African-Americans and some are ok with black and some aren't, but they are completely ok with calling each other the n word but if anyone else does it they lose careers, etc. Until that crap stops there will be racial problems. Until the gay community stops getting caught up in their FEELINGS about including EVERYONE with another **** letter (LGBTQ...more to come trust me) who needs to identify with a sexual minority then they will struggle to achieve quality as quickly as they could otherwise. My point is that we, who are sort of the pioneers of pilots of these multirotors who have seen this evolve so rapidly from nothing to this - we SHOULD be the ones who DO CARE what word the public uses when they glorify negative stories that really have us losing the PR war. The acceptance of the word DRONE is absolutely part of the problem. The black community wouldn't tolerate the use of the n word when a negative news story was written or told about them because whether or not you use the word or not it's rarely a nice or kind or positive reference, so I understand their wanting to rid our lexicon of the term. It's how the word makes people feel is why it needs to die. Same goes for ***. Someone calls me a *** I'm not going to cry but it clearly isn't a come on or complimentary. Very quickly the word drone - the word alone IS a problem and a big obstacle to positive PR shifting in the other direction. The best argument to correct it was done earlier by showing a picture of a Predator drone and then a Phantom. If you don't get the difference then you'll believe all the BS you hear out there and there's millions of them who are, like sheep, against the invasion of privacy (who isn't?) and all drones invade privacy or they want those drones banned because they're unsafe. One guy literally got on the neighborhood forum and claimed a "drone" flew over his vehicle equipped with some sort of laser and that this laser wielding flying menace intentionally chased him down and temporarily blinded him. Therefore, ban ALL DRONES. Several people jumped on his bandwagon until I called him out on his stupid story to begin with. People believe anything. I wish I could find a way to share the post with you. I think I did us all a good amount of Justice and I got a lot of positive feedback from dozens of neighbors about it. But this isn't about me and I'm truly sorry for droning on this long. I need to go light up a *** and relax!

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I'm waiting for the Cliff Notes.

Solution: 2 pictures, on the left a fully armed Predator, sporting every missile known to man; on the right any model Phantom. Under the Predator the caption : "Deadly Rigidwing Overkill Nuke-capable Erradicator, or DRONE". Under the Phantom: "A model rotorcraft used for filming family reunions, beautiful nature shots, Mom and apple pie, sometimes mistakenly called a DRONE." This public service ad sponsored by AMRA, the American Model Rotorcraft Association, sponsoring responsible pilots nationwide. We all chip in to the Association, which circulates the ad everywhere they can. We're halfway home because we speak responsibly, condoning none of the irresponsible actions of outlaw pilots, and we legitimize our sport as being characterized by down to earth, levelheaded pilots. We're even regulated by a federal agency. No thanks, local government, we don't need more laws, we got the carrot and the FAA's got the stick.

I disagree with this on two levels.

1. Definition of drone - You suggest an ad campaign to convince the public the Predator is a drone and the Phantom is not a drone. You don't get to define a word. The word is out and it's not going back in the box, not for hobbyists and not for the military. (By the way, the USAF doesn't call the Predator a drone either. The original military drones were unarmed, like our Phantoms.)

2. Hypothetically, lets say such an ad campaign was successful and the public now knows Phantoms, Mavics, Karmas, Inspires, etc. as quadcopters. Utopia? Every time someone did something stupid, the press would report a quadcopter hit a baby, a quadcopter flew through a NY window, a quadcopter took down an Airbus, etc. What's the difference?

The problem isn't what we call drones, it's the stupid things people do with them.

(By the way, the USAF doesn't call the Predator a drone either. The original military drones were unarmed, like our Phantoms.)

The problem isn't what we call drones, it's the stupid things people do with them.

Sadly, I wish I could say that a distinction would make a difference, but it won't. It's just unfortunate that we are already perceived as engaging in a hobby that has a negative connotation before it even becomes as popular as it's starting to.

And for the record, I know you're not wrong because I spent six months at Kandahar Air Field, and one of the highlights was a tour of the "UAV hangar."

Call me an optimist, because I don't believe there's a negative connotation to this hobby. There is a negative connotation to news reporting as a whole, but I don't buy any conspiracy theories that the media is "out to get us" as much as it's trying to get you to click on the headline.

The overwhelming majority of people who I come across when I'm flying my drone are interested and positive. They love looking at the FPV feed. Not one person has mistaken my Phantom for a deadly Hellfire-launching MQ1 Predator. We should give the public credit for knowing the difference between a hobby drone and a weapons platform. After all, they can discern between an F15 and a 787.

When you were in Kandahar, would you have been redirected for saying "drone?"

When you were in Kandahar, would you have been redirected for saying "drone?"

LMAO They were live... the real thing. I just called them "sir".

No word of a lie, you are corrected quickly in that environment, coupled with the fact that the military never uses any full words for anything... acronyms and abbreviations only!

Actually you raise an interesting point... for the most part, I haven't found the "man on the street" to have negative feelings toward them, if anything they lean a little more toward calling them "spy machines", but I really think it depends what you put out there. You can tell by looking st someone if they are approachable or not... or if they are wearing a shirt that says leave me alone I'm piloting.

It's the press that's worn me down and with far more than just their sensationalistic reporting of these things... it's EVERYTHING... cue Jeff Rossen.

I'm HERE talking about it because it's interesting and thought provoking conversation with intelligent people sharing a common interest. If I was really that impassioned about it I'd find the appropriate venue to forward my concerns.

LMAO They were live... the real thing. I just called them "sir".

No word of a lie, you are corrected quickly in that environment, coupled with the fact that the military never uses any full words for anything... acronyms and abbreviations only!

Actually you raise an interesting point... for the most part, I haven't found the "man on the street" to have negative feelings toward them, if anything they lean a little more toward calling them "spy machines", but I really think it depends what you put out there. You can tell by looking st someone if they are approachable or not... or if they are wearing a shirt that says leave me alone I'm piloting.

It's the press that's worn me down and with far more than just their sensationalistic reporting of these things... it's EVERYTHING... cue Jeff Rossen.

I'm HERE talking about it because it's interesting and thought provoking conversation with intelligent people sharing a common interest. If I was really that impassioned about it I'd find the appropriate venue to forward my concerns.

I was a Marine stationed at Lackland AFB for a few months and got to see how different their basic training was from ours, as well as other aspects of Air Force life.

My conclusion: the US Air Force is a lot like the military.

I was a Marine stationed at Lackland AFB for a few months and got to see how different their basic training was from ours, as well as other aspects of Air Force life.

My conclusion: the US Air Force is a lot like the military.

I was a civilian, operating our personnel support programs, so when not actually performing my role, I just listened and absorbed and enjoyed the fascination of it all.

Interestingly enough, in the vein of this convo, "our" UAV's were named after birds and were unarmed, as opposed to the "Predator" and "Reaper"!

Clipper, the 2 picture ad campaign was really meant tongue in cheek, while the idea of a national association of responsible pilots of whatever we call the aircraft was deadly serious. I agree we can't dictate the term for our hobby/profession, but we surely can approach the public with friendly and responsible contacts.

Also, I like your point that it isn't the public that's out to get drones, in all forms. It's probably a healthier attitude to approach people with. I just wish there was a way to counter the sensationalistic press.

Funny, 30 days is too much for recklessly injuring an innocent bystander while there are people in prison for life for possessing a marijuana cigarette. Actually it's not really funny if you think about it.
If a stuntman rode a bike on a tightwire above an unprotected group of people, and he lost control causing someone to be injured, I don't doubt he may have received a similar sentence.
For those that say he was used to make an example of, well, yeah. Isn't that kinda why we have criminal justice in the first place? So that it will act as a deterrent for others.

Geez...if someone's post is too long then skip it. Cliff Notes version? Yeah, hilarious. The number of posts on here with misspelled words and poor grammar are countless...do they get edited or commented on like that? Maybe posts that are too short should be singled out? Why waste anyone's time with a post simply complaining about the length of it?

My last point on this topic...look at the stupid "drone" laws up in Canada. Give it time...apathy will lead to similar overreaching at every level of government. It won't take very many stories like the Seattle one to almost completely turn the general public against anyone using these except law enforcement, government and licensed film crews. It very well could happen. I'm just waiting for someone - anyone to actually kill someone with their UAV. We are indeed kidding ourselves if we think that won't or can't happen, but when you have FPV racers hurling these things around at triple digit speeds...they won't always just crash into the dirt or cement. Too many stupid people out there and some of them post their cockiness on YouTube.

Personally, I am so thankful we have the 2nd Amendment to our constitution because if it weren't for that we too would be foolishly following other countries who have taken away their people's right to not only defend their lives and their property, but their freedom as they know it. I'll gladly go out on a limb here and say that if multirotors were the new rage during the late 1700's the founding flying fathers would have included an amendment to the US constitution that reads something like this:

Congress shall make no law prohibiting the use of unmanned aerial vehicles beyond the scope of the Federal Aviation Administration's safety regulations to ensure as safe a national airspace as possible, while also not inhibiting the safe trespass of any who peacefully and responsibly use such aircraft, at will. For those who don't...refer to the 2nd amendment.

***the last part is tongue in cheek humor...not advocating shooting bad drone pilots. (Cliff Notes)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart