Sea Shepherd needs Experienced Drone Operators

Reaction score
In January I started working as a volunteer drone operator on the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's ship the Farley Mowat in the Sea of Cortez. Sea Shepherd has a second ship, the Sam Simon, working in the same area on the same campaign. As a drone operator, my duties are to fly drones to investigate illegal fishing activities, film ship activities and wildlife. I use a Phantom 3 Pro, a Phantom 4 or a Matrice 100, provided by Sea Shepherd. All drone flights originate from the ship, meaning you take off and land on the ship, even if it is moving. Secondary duties involve deck activities, maintaining the ship and hauling in illegal nets. Very satisfying work.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The campaign is focused on eliminating illegal gill nets that kill the endangered totoaba (a sea bass) and the critically endangered vaquita, a harbor porpoise endemic to the northern Sea of Cortez. Both ships are working with the Mexican navy to eliminate the use of gill nets to prevent the extinction of the vaquita.

Sea Shepherd is seeking *experienced* drone operators for this campaign, called Operation Milagro Operation Milagro III - Home. This is a purely volunteer position. You are provided 3 abundant and healthy meals a day and snacks plus a birth on the ship in return for your drone operation skills and deck crew duties as needed.

This is a unique opportunity to hone your drone flying skills and build your resume. This position is not for the timid and you must have proven experience flying DJI drones, specifically the Phantom 3, Phantom 4 and the Matrice 100. For the Matrice 100 we have a FLIR camera because catching illegal poachers often happens at night, meaning night flights from a dark deck.

I've been a member of Phantom Pilots for a while now and suspect there may be some of you who are looking for skill-building environmental opportunities. Here's the link to apply: Sea Shepherd Conservation Society - Crewing at Sea | Get Involved

Wow! What an exciting opportunity for a (probably) younger, or maybe even older, person with few ongoing obligations... Unfortunately, location and availability-wise, I don't fit the bill - but good luck in your search and good luck to the person who eventually does!

Reactions: flyboy73
What a cool opportunity. Thank you for sharing.

Keep us posted with updates..

Reactions: klongx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic