Matrice 100 Anti-poaching

Reaction score
Also posted on Mavic pilots ...

Here's an example of using the DJI Matrice 100 dual battery setup with a 640 FLIR cam for anti-poaching purposes. I flew this mission from Sea Shepherd's M/V Farley Mowat on Operation Milagro. What you are seeing are cartel-supported fishermen retrieving their illegally set totoaba (a sea bass) gill net from the vaquita (an endemic harbor porpoise) refuge. These gill nets drown the vaquita, a primary source for their mortality. Both species are endangered and gill nets are prohibited in this area. The cartels sell the totoaba swim bladders to China as a medicinal cure, known as the cocaine of the sea because of the high price the bladders fetch. Another fake erection cure. As you can see, I got a little close and they threw objects at the drone. They know if we locate their net we destroy it, thus the frantic effort to collect it. Not much more than a year later they were using guns to shoot down our drones. Launching and landing from the deck in red light since this is not a drone to hand launch or catch, compass errors [Removed by Admin]...

Music: Incompetech.com Dream Catcher.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Capt KO
Awesome! Great filming. And Thank You for your service.
As a commercial fisherman myself, that shown is a primitive, labor intensive, fishing method. Wonder where the little boat was headed next? Poaching is a problem everywhere, certainly here in Florida. I lost at least 10% of my stone crab catch each year to thieves. Had to catch in action to prosecute so only caught 1 in 40 years. ? can’t stop it, so easy and profitable. Sad

Please note that the drone was landed on deck in Reverse. Best way to do it when landing (or catching) from a vessel. Much easier to control, especially with one hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic