Sea Shepherd Drone Shot Down

Reaction score
On Christmas Eve Sea Shepherd Conservation Society had one of its drones shot out of the sky by poachers in the northern Sea of Cortez. The drone that was shot was a Matrice 100 with a 12k flir camera. When I flew near them with the Matrice last March they just threw rocks or bottles toward the drone. The poachers, paid by drug cartels, are getting more brazen.

[Language Removed], feel sorry for ur loss!

Last edited by a moderator:
1st impression, they are terrible shots. These guys clearly cannot aim.
2nd impression, why keep filming them shoot at you, I would think it high time to leave, and quickly, after the first shot and call it a day.

Just for clarification, I was not on the ship when this happened, though I have flown the Matrice on night missions there earlier this year.

We did tape over the lights with the exception of one battery light to use for orientation when landing on the deck at night. Problem is the fishermen/poachers often work with their motors off so they hear the Matrice well in advance.

I have not heard if the fishermen were caught. SS works directly with the Mexican Navy so it's likely the Navy boats were called to the scene.

Since I was not there I have no idea what the drone operator saw on the screen, if he could tell they were firing shots. With the flir camera you have to get really close if you want to be able to ID someone (get a clear picture of his face), maybe the drone operator was attempting to do that before he realized they were shooting at the drone.

We speculated there would be some sort of escalation by the poachers, but really did not know where or how. Most attention is given to the safety of the crew and ships, since both have been threatened in the recent past. Using a weapon, even just on a drone, raises the ante for all involved in trying to save the endangered vaquita and totoaba. It will be interesting to see how the Mexican government responds.

Reactions: Nesher
There's no 'alleged' about their illegal actions and this video is just more documentation. Not surprised (your word), just sad there are now weapons involved. Why the smarmy tone?
No smarmy intent- simply amazement that it might not be expected that the alleged offenders (it’s an allegation until an offence is proven) might not respond as they seemingly did.

[Language Removed] I bet it did! I’m not even surprised, it’s a “dog eat dog” world. Just collect your insurance claim and start over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they can be apprehended... need to add an ink die marking gun to the Matrice..... then they could be identified later ;-)

Man, I loved watching Whale Wars! I hope the video evidence helps convict the poachers, if they were caught. Sorry you guys lost your aircraft though.

The Navy should be dealing with them.

Further to that, isn't a drone classed as an aircraft? Can they be prosecuted under the same laws such as shooting at a helicopter?

The Navy should be dealing with them.
Further to that, isn't a drone classed as an aircraft? Can they be prosecuted under the same laws such as shooting at a helicopter?

The Mexican Navy is involved and working together with Sea Shepherd. I have not heard yet if anyone had been identified as the shooter that took down the Matrice or the guy in the following video.

There were more shots fired at another drone during daylight hours:

Reactions: Neon Euc
BTW those aren't bullets being shown on the video, those are shell casings. And based on the distance they were being ejected, I would say it was some sort of AK variant.

1st impression, they are terrible shots. These guys clearly cannot aim.

I would disagree. I think hitting a
moving drone,
from a moving boat,
at night,
in 7 shots,
with a rifle
is pretty good shooting.

BTW those aren't bullets being shown on the video, those are shell casings. And based on the distance they were being ejected, I would say it was some sort of AK variant.

I would disagree. I think hitting a
moving drone,
from a moving boat,
at night,
in 7 shots,
with a rifle
is pretty good shooting.

I totally agree. We aren't seeing the actual bullets at all.

That would be a tough shot in daylight with any distance at all let alone at night.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj