Scary first time use. Need advice on status and connectivity.

Reaction score
I recently was given a DJI Phantom 2. Read through the manual. Set things up properly; blades and calibration. At least I think.

When I turn it on and after the startup process I get 4 green lights followed by a rapid flashing red light. Pattern repeats.

I couldn't seem to get the motors going.

Can't get the apps for the Mac to recognize the P2 or the DJ6 transmitter.

Started fiddling with S1 and S2 positions, pressed the throttle and it started to go, but I didn't seem to have control of it, so I turned the remote off quickly. That didn't stop the motors from spinning so I grabbed it quickly from underneath and shut it off.

Anyone know what the light pattern means? I can't find that anywhere.
How much damage will one get if their arms get in the way of these spinning blades?
What happens if you lose transmitter control of the unit?

Hey man. Sorry to hear about the scare!This could possibly mean that your battery is over heating or the battery % is high but the individual cells are low in voltage. It could also indicate that there is a problem with the motors perhaps? Is it a new drone or second hand? This could also mean compass error / Electromagnetic interference. I belive thatyou would need to post your log to be sure but if I had to guess, it could be your battery....

I recently was given a DJI Phantom 2. Read through the manual. Set things up properly; blades and calibration. At least I think.

When I turn it on and after the startup process I get 4 green lights followed by a rapid flashing red light. Pattern repeats.

I couldn't seem to get the motors going.

Can't get the apps for the Mac to recognize the P2 or the DJ6 transmitter.

Started fiddling with S1 and S2 positions, pressed the throttle and it started to go, but I didn't seem to have control of it, so I turned the remote off quickly. That didn't stop the motors from spinning so I grabbed it quickly from underneath and shut it off.

Anyone know what the light pattern means? I can't find that anywhere.
How much damage will one get if their arms get in the way of these spinning blades?
What happens if you lose transmitter control of the unit?

Did you download the correct apps for the Mac? You will need the DMG firmware for a Mac. Here's a link for the for the software just scroll down to the downloads. Phantom 2 - The Spirit Of Flight

Those spinning blades will cut any part of your anatomy they come in contact with.

If you set up the switch S1 correctly for failsafe and lose either the signal or shut the controller off it will return to the home point.

Since this is a used P2 those batteries may not be in the best condition for flight and the only way to find out is through the P2 software as in the following photos
Barttery #2 before charging.jpg

This battery will have a very short flight time and should be replaced.
Barttery #2 after charging.jpg

Sometimes checking batteries in the software does not give the true condition of the battery. After a few seconds or minutes into a flight, the LEDs start flashing red indicating a problem possibly with the battery. Or the P2 automatically tries to land after a few minutes into its flight. The reason for either of these scenarios was that the batteries were not stored correctly and their useful lifespan was shortened.

Reactions: impurenergy
Thanks. Everyone. I want to makes sure this is all safe first for sure. I will follow your advice to start. I've download the necessary and updated apps, but so fart haven't gotten the computer to connect to it. I'll try again.

Right now I feel like I want it tethered while I learn it just so nobody gets hurt nor property damage.

Did you download the correct apps for the Mac? You will need the DMG firmware for a Mac. Here's a link for the for the software just scroll down to the downloads. Phantom 2 - The Spirit Of Flight

Those spinning blades will cut any part of your anatomy they come in contact with.

If you set up the switch S1 correctly for failsafe and lose either the signal or shut the controller off it will return to the home point.

Since this is a used P2 those batteries may not be in the best condition for flight and the only way to find out is through the P2 software as in the following photos
View attachment 85195

This battery will have a very short flight time and should be replaced.
View attachment 85194

Sometimes checking batteries in the software does not give the true condition of the battery. After a few seconds or minutes into a flight, the LEDs start flashing red indicating a problem possibly with the battery. Or the P2 automatically tries to land after a few minutes into its flight. The reason for either of these scenarios was that the batteries were not stored correctly and their useful lifespan was shortened.
I am not able to get the Mac to recognize the drone or the transmitter. I am on macOS Sierra with the latest DJI software downloaded and the unit (powered on) connected through USB. Any ideas? The software gets stuck on the splash screen unless I elect "skip". Then once I am in it, the software says to connect to the controller, but that doesn't work either.

I am not able to get the Mac to recognize the drone or the transmitter. I am on macOS Sierra with the latest DJI software downloaded and the unit (powered on) connected through USB. Any ideas? The software gets stuck on the splash screen unless I elect "skip". Then once I am in it, the software says to connect to the controller, but that doesn't work either.

Did you download both the controller and P2 software? If so you start with the controller and calibrate the sticks and X1 (tilt control) then with the controller still on connect the P2 and calibrate the sticks and X1 again. If that doesn't work and if you have a tablet try using that but you will have to download the windows version if the tablet isn't an iPad.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z