Scanning the fields........

Reaction score
Deer "hide" their young, fawns, in tall grass, hay and crop fields.
A local farmer friend had a very distressing experience when while cutting his hay field he killed a fawn which was hiding there.
He heard that I had a drone and asked if it could be flown over a field that he was going to cut to prevent this happening again.

My new job whole movie is several minutes long so won't bore you with it...............

Yup. Unfortunately most farmers/hay cutters, myself included, have suffered through that. Most of us do our best to avoid it, but it's not always possible. Hen turkeys are usually nesting as we cut as well. They're nearly impossible to spot in time too, if crop is good. I've considered flying over fields before cutting to find them, but that's not always feasible. It's upsetting to kill wildlife, but it's virtually impossible to avoid as a general rule. Newer equipment runs faster. Enclosed cab tractors cut down visibility....
I'm glad to hear your friend is making an attempt to reduce the wildlife destruction that can occur, and maybe that can become more popular in time.

Brad

@cheddarman I'd love to see the whole movie sometime!
Here's my latest hayfield flyover
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
Interesting. If you are doing it to help the farmer it is in furtherance of a business and requires Part 107. If doing it to help an organization save wildlife, ditto. Flying for fun to scare little animals you might have the above organization after you for cruelty to animals. BUT if the farmer gives you permission to fly over his fields AND you are flying for fun and you just happen to spot wildlife and you notify the good farmer of possible danger to it you're just being a friend of the planet.

What makes it legal or not is the intent with which you fly.

Let the flame wars begin...

• Sad
Reactions: umanbean
@MPPilot Yeah, there's always the politics. I do it for myself, as a check of the crop ahead of cutting. The grey area, as you mentioned, has to be considered.

Goodness me MPPilot, so much politics for such a small happening! Of course I have the farmers permission to fly over his fields and I am not flying to scare wildlife. If I see anything I advise the farmer where it is so he is pre warned when he approaches the area.
Friend of the planet, that's me!

Let the flame wars begin...
Why would you intentionally want to start a flame war in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with that? Reminds me of a high school hall monitor that tells on somebody because they have to go take a piss.

@cheddarman Just go do it - for your friend and for the greater good. And be sure and don't come back here and tell anybody or else some do-gooder will rat on you!

Reactions: cneedelman
Goodness me MPPilot, so much politics for such a small happening! Of course I have the farmers permission to fly over his fields and I am not flying to scare wildlife. If I see anything I advise the farmer where it is so he is pre warned when he approaches the area.
Friend of the planet, that's me!
Sorry if I was not clear. I was not trying to imply anything just pointing out some possible ways of flying that would or would not be legal depending on if you are 107 certified. Humor apparently fell flat. :(

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Why would you intentionally want to start a flame war
I wouldn't. However it seems like anytime someone asks a legitimate question that gets answered there is always someone that has to tell him how wrong he is. I listed some ways that would and would not be legal and that is usually enough to spark a fire. If my humor fell flat I apologize. I'm a dad, no one gets my jokes here either.

• Haha
Reactions: Pharm and Shoot4fun
Blimey, sorry I started the thread! Won't post again......................but yes, I'll fly all his fields for him. As an "old" wildlife photographer just might see something interesting!

Reactions: cneedelman
cheddarman, I apologize for my part in spoiling your perfectly innocent thread.

But I did not see the humor in ending an otherwise ambiguous post with an invitation to bring on a flame war. Had that line been left out, I probably would have said nothing.

In my own left-handed way, I was defending you and all the other Innocents out there who just want to do a favor for a friend, mention it here, and get vilified for it. It doesn't take much for the preachers to show up and start telling them how wrong their actions/plans are.

I also might be extra sensitive to someone who castigates farmers & friends of farmers who use their drone to check on cows or crops. I've been a computer tech since the early days of MS-DOS, but I was raised on a farm and over half my family are still farmers.

I'm sorry I had a part in screwing up your thread.

Blimey, sorry I started the thread! Won't post again......................but yes, I'll fly all his fields for him. As an "old" wildlife photographer just might see something interesting!
No, please post if you have questions or comments. That is what this community is all about. Ill endeavor to keep my comments a bit more succinct.

BTW - I wish I lived in an area where I could see some wildlife. Enjoy.

Our little village....................
DJI_0027.jpg

Well, if someone is upset with you for "scaring animals," explain that being scared is preferable to being thrashed (or is it threshed?).

Well, if someone is upset with you for "scaring animals," explain that being scared is preferable to being thrashed (or is it threshed?).
Depends on the equipment being used!
In the case of my hay cutter, a 1431 New Holland discbine, it would, most definitely, be a thrAshing...

Just spoken with the farmer and he's looking at cutting/threshing his fields in a couple of weeks so I'll be there doing an aerial surveillance before he gets started! You don't like it, tough! Hope to get some interesting photos/video of the equipment in operation as well!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31