SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB MicroSD card issues...

Reaction score
Hey doods;

I have TWO of these SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB MicroSD cards that I use in both my P4P AND my Hero7 camera. I seem to have problems with both cards in BOTH devices. Seems the 128GB cards are the common denominator. Either recording stops completely and erratically, or the bitrate gets throttled down to 2/3 what it should be.

Here's a screen capture of a shoot I did today. The bird randomly stopped recording 4 times. And you'll also notice - despite equal length files - the file sizes vary greatly. This is due to a lowered bitrate that happened quite randomly.

1574194484122.png

Notice these two files of greatly different size, but almost equal in length.

1574194559946.png

Anybody else having problems with these cards?

D

I have only been using 32 GB SD cards, so far no issues.
From DJI Phantom 4 info found this item :

Supported SD CardsMicro SD
Max capacity: 64 GB
Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required

I have only been using 32 GB SD cards, so far no issues.
From DJI Phantom 4 info found this item :

Supported SD CardsMicro SD
Max capacity: 64 GB
Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required

Yep....NOT a problem with 32 or 64GB cards. The thread is very specific towards 128GB Extreme Pro MicroSD cards. Otherwise I would've omitted the "128GB" syntax.

D

Possibly its the access time onto the chip, as it searches for a location to put the data.
If the card is empty, you may find it works ok.
Were you adding files to the same card ? and thus giving greater density, which the chip has to try to find a location, and gives up!.

Yep....NOT a problem with 32 or 64GB cards. The thread is very specific towards 128GB Extreme Pro MicroSD cards.

D
I have seen the same. I stay with a 32 gig UHS-1. I’ve used 64 gig sd’s before and have had intermittent problems with video shoots of long duration.

I've not had problem with the 64GB cards....but have had TONS of problems with the 128GB cards. I don't use 32GB cards.

D

Possibly its the access time onto the chip, as it searches for a location to put the data.
If the card is empty, you may find it works ok.
Were you adding files to the same card ?

Regardless of device, I always format the card via that device before every shoot.

and thus giving greater density, which the chip has to try to find a location, and gives up!.

Agreed. There is something inherently wrong with the SanDisk 128GB cards.

I just purchased some Lexar 1800x 256GB cards. We'll see if they work any better. I'm done with SanDisk.

D

Some devices will not allow usage of micro cards over 64 (or less) gigs.

That's not the case here. They don't immediately fail catastrophically. They actually work....for a while...and then recording just stops. No warnings. Just stops. This has happened with TWO different cards in TWO different devices.

D

That's not the case here. They don't immediately fail catastrophically. They actually work....for a while...and then recording just stops. No warnings. Just stops. This has happened with TWO different cards in TWO different devices.

D
Hope you can find the problem, sorry I was of no help.

Is the card formatted using a PC or by the device of the day?

Yes. That's the canary in the cave. When I get out to the job site, first thing I do before I take off is format the card. If it fails, change the card. If it formats, then for the love of all that is holy, that's a good GD card, as far as I'm concerned. So regardless of the drone or the camera, I always format the card before a job. Because if that m'r f'r is going to fail, I want it to fail BEFORE I start shooting. NOT 40 freakin' minutes AFTER I start shooting.

D

Hum, please give us an update when decide if your new brand of cards, work or not.
Did the sandisk fail even when they were new, or is this after a while?

Rod

Hum, please give us an update when decide if your new brand of cards, work or not.

Will do. I purchased a pair of Lexar 1800x 128GB cards. I will use them in my Hero7 and P4P. If those devices record flawlessly, then we'll know for sure the SanDisk card is to blame.

Did the sandisk fail even when they were new, or is this after a while?

Rod

The cards are about a year old.

D

Reactions: RodPad
A: Did you have problems with these Sandisks from the get go?
B: or after a while?
C: Other

If C:Other
We need details, but just the facts! :);)

Rod

B. Both cards are about a year old.

D

So,
A: = No
B: = Yes

What I was after are they in your opinion defective when new?

About 2 years ago, it was brought to my attention that SD cards do fail in time / usage same as SSD drives.
It really wasn't in mind set,
Anyways, I have believed it since.

If anybody has any info on my statement: "SD cards do fail in usage" Please reply!

Rod

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31