"Safe to fly - Non GPS"

I had my first case of this Saturday. After re calibration of the compass after a quick landing, no more problems but I was flying 100 miles from last calibration. 5 more flights no problems

Mine does the exact same thing you and others are describing, but mine goes to red, not orange, and does NOT maintain position, it maintains same altitude but it will float one way or another until I get it close enough to get GPS back. FYI I am using an Iphone 6, with a P3P, I have the latest firmware 1.6 and I have had this happen to me in three different locations, two of them were wide open fields with no interference.
Would it be possible to get the .DAT from a flight where this occurs. If you need instructions on retrieving the .DAT go here Retrieving a .DAT from the P3 Can you Dropbox it after you retrieve it? Thanks.

I had my first case of this Saturday. After re calibration of the compass after a quick landing, no more problems but I was flying 100 miles from last calibration. 5 more flights no problems
Just to be clear the indication you saw was "Safe to fly - Non GPS"? This and not switching to ATTI mode from GPS_ATTI mode. The reason I'm asking is that a compass issue won't have any effect on GPS.

I had noticed this issue immediately after upgrading to DJI Go App to 2.50. I see the issue still with 2.60.

Good thing is that I don't see GPS issues on clear sky days so I'm relieved a bit.

To me it looks like a bug on DJI Go but it's too scary to see GPS lock getting lost during flights.
What about K-index or any "sun thunder" or as its called... maybe here is an issue?
I almost always have 14-17 satellites indicated. The bird always acquires immediate GPS lock and I get a green "safe to fly -GPS" message. However, sometimes during the flight, it turns amber and I get the "Safe to fly - Non GPS" message. This has been happening about 1 out of 3 flights. It tends to flip back and forth during the flight, although the indicated satellite counter does not change.

I doubt it is because of obstructions, as Kansas is rather flat, and it has been happening well above the horizon from any obstacles (200-400 feet).

Weird part is, flight is not noticeably different. It still maintains position against the wind just like normal GPS flight.

Any ideas? Would RTH function in this condition? P3A using 1.3.2 firmware.

TIA

I have looked on healthydrones. It didn't really clear the issue up for me. I have noticed that the number of satellites does NOT change when I get this message. I have never had less than 14, and I often have 17

Did you have any luck yet figuring out our problem? I am at my wits end, I put it up yesterday and still had the same issue and I had plenty of satellites. This time it was so bad that the copter would start off green, safe to fly gps, then it wouldn't even be 20ft away from me and and it would go straight to red, no gps. And I'm pretty sure this problem is the reason I'm having problems with Autopilot. I would send my P3P back to DJI if there wasn't so many people having the same problem. UUGGGHHH!!

I've had today this issue for the first time. 15 Sats locked but Safe to fly green and safe to fly (non gps) yellow alternating on the top bar. I was in an open area, so no problems of interference or whatever. Strange. I will try to re-calibrate the compass next time i'll fly even if i did there before the flight. Anyway the phantom was very stable in the air even with non gps safe to fly.

In the meantime i've downgrade DJI GO app from latest 2.7.2 to the 2.3.0 that as far as i remember worked very well.

Would it be possible to get the .DAT from a flight where this occurs. If you need instructions on retrieving the .DAT go here Retrieving a .DAT from the P3 Can you Dropbox it after you retrieve it? Thanks.

Well, I finally got my P3P back from DJI, it flies just fine now, here is what they fixed....
FullSizeRender.jpg

Wow not a dime out of pocket.. Nice DJI

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well, I finally got my P3P back from DJI, it flies just fine now, here is what they fixed....
View attachment 49556

Well I spoke too soon, I had only hovered it in my basement when I last posted, I assumed it was fixed, guess what... I got the P3P back from DJI, they said they had to replace a couple parts and that it was fixed and ready to go. Took it out 3-4 days ago, and guess what, SAME EXACT PROBLEM!!! It would give me green safe to fly gps before take off, once I was more than 10ft in the air, it switched to red, no gps. I tried re-calibration compass, rebooting it, made sure all firmware was up to date, and still no good. I took it out again yesterday and had the same problem, I think DJI is going to have to send me a whole new quad, this is ridiculous!

Not good! I send my P3A back for a similar problem. I'm afraid they won't be able to duplicate the problem or send it back unfixed. Not sure what your options are now.

It is beautiful terrain indeed. Too bad about all of that prop getting in the way, which is just a huge distraction. To resolve that, a) gimbal down the camera, or b) go slower or not forward when the camera is gimbal'ed up.

I had this problem on both of my flights with my new P3A over the weekend. I only noticed it after initial takeoff and it lasted about 5-10 seconds at a time. I didn't pay attention to the number of satellites as it occurred, but at takeoff I had about 15 satellites. It was a windy day and noticed no stability issues with the flight. It stayed rock steady the whole flight, which was in a wide open area with 13 baseball Fields around me. I am uncomfortable using a 3rd party app for automated flights until I'm sure there is no concern.

Had the same problem today, I think for the first time. If there was another before I were unaware of it. Will do a good compass re-calibration today and make a test. Will report asap. I am on the latest firmware in everything. Any advice is appreciated.

FWIW, I had this problem one time and never again since. Maybe I was just flying on a high Kp index day when it happened, who knows.

Mike

Had the same problem today, I think for the first time. If there was another before I were unaware of it. Will do a good compass re-calibration today and make a test. Will report asap. I am on the latest firmware in everything. Any advice is appreciated.
I don't think this anything to do with the compass. It's really just your controller telling you that GPS signal or minimum number of satellites is causing it to drop to ATTI mode, and dropping to ATTI mode is not a catastrophic thing.

Advice:
  • Know how fly in ATTI mode
  • Get to know your main screen icons well. When this happens, look to see how many satellites you have and what the signal strength is.
Chris

FWIW, when mine popped up the Non-GPS message that one time, the display was still showing 15 satellites. I saw it go from 15 to 14 and then back to 15 so I know it wasn't a "stale" report. Maybe it needs 15 kosher satellites or something? ;)

Mike

You may never know exactly what caused your system to lose GPS stability enough to cause it to go into ATTI mode for a brief moment.

Those satellites are pretty far away from you, up there in space, and you are not flying in a 100% bullet-proof "free from any interference whatsoever" zone in most places you fly. There are other satellite signals, microwaves signals, sun spots, cell phone towers, any number of things flying through the air enough for your remote to think "hold on, wait, this isn't a perfectly solid lock here: notify the user that they may have to fly this thing themselves for a couple of seconds".

And if you're near an urban area, in addition to more airborne interference, you can add tall objects (buildings) that will reflect or block all of those varies signals around to stir up the soup.

I know, today's digital signals should be pretty darned discrete, but I still feel that we should be thankful for the stability that we do have and not freak out if we have to take over the controls for a few seconds every now and then.

It went away, came back in seconds, nothing fell out of the sky here. Relaaaaaaaaaax!

Chris

PS: repeat advice: learn to fly in ATTI mode.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
learn to fly in ATTI mode.

This is a dummy newbie question but here goes:

I have flown in P/A/F modes and they all "feel" much the same at least when there is not much wind.

I guess on a windy day P-OPTI/ATTI and A/F modes make the AC drift with the wind because it can't hold its horizontal position (at least if the AC is higher than 3 meters for Vision Positioning to work). And those modes also allow the AC fight against the wind more than P mode can.

What else?

From the manual:

1. P-mode (Positioning): P-mode works best when GPS signal is strong. There are three different states of P-mode, which will be automatically selected by the Phantom 3 Professional depending on signal strength of GPS and Vision Positioning sensors:

1a. P-GPS: GPS and Vision Positioning both are available. The aircraft is using GPS for positioning.

1b. P-OPTI: Vision Positioning is available but the GPS signal strength is not sufficient. The aircraft is using only the Vision Positioning System for positioning.

1c. P-ATTI: Neither GPS nor Vision Positioning is available. The aircraft is using only its barometer for positioning, so only altitude can be stabilized.

2. A-mode (Attitude): GPS and Vision Positioning System are not used for stabilization. The aircraft only uses its barometer. The aircraft can still automatically return to the home point if the control signal is lost and the Home Point was recorded successfully.

3. F-mode (Function): Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) is activated in this mode. Litchi and Autopilot missions fly autonomously in F-mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31