Safe to fly in fog?

Point the camera straight down and rise vertically through the fog as fast as possible, and your lens will stay clear. Coming down, since you can't point the camera straight up ... point it forward and descend going backwards ...

oh well, I cant add anything to this - there are some nice points here, law, dew point, abandonment of physics by the uninitiated, even fog and massive Hercs flying hours, etc etc. My point is :- In the mil we have systems to stop condensation forming inside equipment that is well sealed already and also some parts dessicate the air as well (look it up). Commercial drones are not sealed, um err so, if there is any possibility water will form on any surfaces with chip pins exposed (very small gaps between legs) and power is applied, then by electrolytic action the circuits will probably malfunction. Water is a good solvent but you have to wait until it clears! You who claim to have ditched your drone in the drink have been very lucky. Back in the mil dept. of gear, some PCBs are coated with a spray on tropicalisation lacquer that in the UK used to be available from a company called RS Components (a massive Plc), it was also good at stopping arcing flashovers in High Voltage parts of TVs. Probably some twat in the EU has banned it. If I wanted to fly in the fog (we don't get it often here in Thailand!! But the air is warm and very moist as I've lost 2 Iphones due to condensation forming inside going from cold a/c to warm outsides and plug plug I now use an S7) I think I'd try and tropicalise coat my PCB, (clear nail varnish nicked from the wife maybe) as long as it didnt damage any moving parts that may have commutator rings and brushes on them. (??gimbals) Final point, many CCTV systems warm up the lense inside the case, maybe someone should design a heat-retaining material ring that slips on over the lense and after warming it up keeps the lense warm and has low mass. I love the fog drone shots by Goldni and they look safely flown.

Theoretically some moisture might get in there but so far I've never read a post from somebody who reported flight problems.
Watch the temp... I recently crashed my p3p while flying in fog: the condensate on the props froze witch caused a loss of control & a bad crash. Fog in the warm weather was awesome ok but not in cool temps. I couldn't get above it

Ditto jwilliam. Flew my P3 4K through freezing fog, motors overheated and uncontrolled rapid descent shattered my lens cover on "landing" (not quite a crash but way too fast). Rotors were iced up

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31