Running the P3P without props?

How much of a hurry are you in? I'd think the RF activity and would drain the battery to storage levels before too long without even arming the motors.

I remember not getting a heck of a lot of time out of a propless (and unarmed) P3P that I was holding on my bike to get some stabilized shots of a big ride here a while ago...so I guess that would involve recording and gimbal movement, but no flight. Incidentally, got excellent results from that...

Where did you read that? I can understand that but part of me feel that if its idle then that would be the same or less stress then full throttle with props..
But thats just me using common sense with out any technical knowledge of the engineering behind these motors; hence why I'm here and asked. :p

The reasoning I've seen is that the motors are designed to be cooled by the airflow from the props, and they heat up much faster without that flow.

I read somewhere that spinning the motors without props for extended periods degrades the motor bearings.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
yep -high RPM brushless motors dont like no load conditions. If you measure the amps (or look at them via the log), you will see that under no load, it actually pulls a fair number of watts. That converts to heat and with no air movement, it is not difficult to burn the enamel off the motor windings. Running no load at high RPM for any length of time is not a great idea. Firing it up to test for <1 minute will do no harm if you are not WOT, but as soon as you start dumping heat into the motor mass - you risk Bad Things happening to the motor.

Slightly off topic, but I tried the simulator to run a 100% battery down a bit...my simulator literally had a flat green area say a few hundred metres square with a small helipad type thing in the middle, and just grey outside the green "field".....are there specific setup instructions for it?

I found a youtube vid, and it shows full scenery to fly around....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31