Running the P3P without props?

Reaction score
Question...
Is is kosher to run the Phantom 3 without props. For instance if I wanted to drain a batt to 50% etc?

Could it harm it in any way?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

No. The motor will be happy to spin without load. Just run it at low speed

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I read somewhere that spinning the motors without props for extended periods degrades the motor bearings.

I read somewhere that spinning the motors without props for extended periods degrades the motor bearings.

Where did you read that? I can understand that but part of me feel that if its idle then that would be the same or less stress then full throttle with props..
But thats just me using common sense with out any technical knowledge of the engineering behind these motors; hence why I'm here and asked. :p

Get a lightbulb battery discharger. They work great.

Where did you read that? I can understand that but part of me feel that if its idle then that would be the same or less stress then full throttle with props..
But thats just me using common sense with out any technical knowledge of the engineering behind these motors; hence why I'm here and asked. :p

A DJI moderator on the DJI forum wrote this post about the intelligent flight battery. DJI Forum|How do Intelligent Batteries Work?

Here is that excerpt where it says not to.

"There are two modes of discharging: the slow one and the rapid one.
Slow discharging: Install the battery into the drone, turn the battery on and leave it electrostatically discharging until it automatically turns off when the battery level lower than 5%. ***It is recommended not to turn on the electric motor especially those without rotating propellers, as it may lead to abrasion of the motor.***
Rapid discharging: Install the battery into the drone, fly it until low battery level alerts and the drone automatically lands. Do not turn it off and keep it discharging until it automatically shuts down.

Reactions: sonof40
Wow, all this technical input. How about, it's ok to run motors without props for what ever reason. Only issue is putting wear on motors for no reason. If you just want to discharge the battery for whatever reason just turn on Phantom and wait until it's at 1 led. WTF Why in the F.. do you all make things so crazy???

Reactions: jeff2432 and Reed L
Wow, all this technical input. How about, it's ok to run motors without props for what ever reason. Only issue is putting wear on motors for no reason. If you just want to discharge the battery for whatever reason just turn on Phantom and wait until it's at 1 led. WTF Why in the F.. do you all make things so crazy???

9bdc1e101a10ca016e5c49130df9ff2e.jpg

Hey Gunny, go drink a beer and relax. Both you and I know what they are saying, but this is the big time internet where there has to be rock stars! :p

Reactions: GunnyPapa
I guess im going to get the discharging light...
I did the propless drain once.. hope I didnt screw the motors up too bad. :p

I guess im going to get the discharging light...
I did the propless drain once.. hope I didnt screw the motors up too bad. :p
Just as a matter of interest, why do you need to do this. Isn't the normal auto discharge (set to 1 day) going to do the job?

Reactions: GunnyPapa
If you really need to discharge the battery, fire up the phantom with the props on and let it sit idling for about 15 minutes. That way, the props will be cooling as normal and the battery will run itself down.

Me? I'd go out and fly it...

If you really need to discharge the battery, fire up the phantom with the props on and let it sit idling for about 15 minutes. That way, the props will be cooling as normal and the battery will run itself down.

Me? I'd go out and fly it...
Great idea. However the topic was without props just fyi

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4