RTH questions

Reaction score
Has anybody really pushed the RTH functions? One thing that isn't quite clear in the manual is the role the return to home power estimate plays in trigering the low batt failsafe.
So does the low batt rth engage when your batt hits the low value you set or when the estimated power to get you back home is equal to what you have left?
And has anybody tested the overrides? If I get a low bat warning and I head home myself, will the P3 constantly try to engage RTH even if I'm going in the right direction? I can see a case where you want to keep control and avoid the rig climbing to RTH altitude if it isn't needed.

Oh thanks, that helped.

So if I cancel the RTH request for a low bat it won't try again until critical batt? And even there I can cancel with 90% throttle? Imagine you have to land on a plate in rough terrain, in a close call, I'd rather remain in full control.

I've been testing all scenarios;

Fly out until RTH battery level is reached. P3A offered to take control, maintained altitude and set course for the HP. Reached HP and descended until landed with no interaction from me. I could turn RTH off at any time.

Fly out of line-of-site ~500m through buildings for no signal fail-safe. P3A maintained altitude, set course for HP and, while still out of line-of-site, once signal was re-established I could resume control and continue flying.

Fly and over-ride RTH battery level until critical battery level reached. Maintained all controls except altitude, P3A steadily descended until it landed.

HTH :)

With the battery level at you setting for RTH will turn and come home. However there is one thing to keep in mind. If you have it set to low and it can't make it home when it hits around 8% it will autoland and it makes no difference to it where it's at or what's under it. Propellers will be spinning and she's comming down no matter what. I fly allot of autonomous flight due to my wooded terrain. That mean that I'd must calculate every flights flight time and take into account head winds. Battery flight time is critical and leaving yourself enough reserve to make it back is more than smart, it's necessary. I learned due to a battery going bad and it would drop from 65% down to 8% and she would autoland. Out of that thank goodness for "find my Phantom. She crashed comming down in the deep woods. Got her back with 2 ticks and minimal damage. ( 2 props and some scratches ) . During the RTH or so called Failsafe you can regain control and it will let you control your outcome. The warning on screen due to low battery will continue. Best bet is to get her home and on the ground to be safe. A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush!!!

If I get a low bat warning and I head home myself, will the P3 constantly try to engage RTH even if I'm going in the right direction?
No. But, as RoyVa pointed out, your Phantom will auto land at its current location if it reaches the critical low battery stage.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20