RTH landing downwind several meters

Reaction score
In windy conditions it seems that RTH will always land the Phantom downwind up to several meters. Is this normal? It will hover in one spot just fine, but it seems wind somewhat overrides the GPS landing spot. Normal?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

GPS is never accurate. Best you can hope for is +\- 10 meters with a DJI (on a good day)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

GPS is never accurate. Best you can hope for is +\- 10 meters with a DJI (on a good day)

You likely have an issue with your phantom. DJI state 2.5m horizontal and I see that or better with 7 or more sats.

There is no consumer device that can provide accurate GPS data. I'm happy with mine, and my Garmin 650, so if you are happy too then that's great.

I find my RTH is usually within a few meters of the takeoff. The nice thing is, you still have control as it lands so put a little effort into correcting a [very] minor problem and it'll be at your feet.

From my usual launch point, my home point almost always slides to the west 7-10 feet (I have a P2V) which happens to be down hill. I'm not sure if the elevation affects it or if it's due to warming up, or more satellites giving a more accurate fix or what. Of course, the actual home point, that is, the GPS fixed location in hard digits doesn't really move because it's locked in. It's the GPS's assessment of the fixed location on the surface of the earth that changes slightly. In any event, I don't worry about it.

The issue is I'm a fireman and we fly at work sometimes. However, if we have a call, I have too RTH and hope the drone is in one piece when we return. I know, not the smartest of situations. Thankfully this hasn't happened yet. Our driveway has about 15 meters of clearance from center. It's gotten pretty close to our roof when it's windy. I'm just wondering why it always lands more downwind when windy, yet it can hover perfectly in one spot.(albeit angled some)

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

It's angled because it's fighting the wind to stay in position. Maintaining current position and returning to a previous position are two different tasks. Maintaining position is easier with barometers, compass, & GPS onboard (assuming you have a standard without the VPS). I assume you use this as a tool for your department, and not as a time-occupying hobby while on the clock (if you are, stop that now for the very reason you mentioned). My neighbor bought several drones for the local dept he works at and they are trained to fly safe. I can't imagine them leaving a scene without their drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.