Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

I'm trying to avoid nausea by making these wobbles into pendulous swings which is why I'm wary of turning the gains down too much! The side-to-side we all see in all our videos - unless you have a three axis gimbal - is caused by the aircraft correcting to keep the camera facing where you put it. It's not so noticeable with the stock setup because there is so much camera shake the eye can't really see it. Because it's relying on compass and gyro data to hold the camera pointing in one direction it can't be so accurate and quick reacting that it won't wobble a little in windy conditions. If you see this video I took the other weekend in much calmer conditions you'll see there is much less - the Vision wasn't having to work so hard:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1vJNmyYcTE[/youtube]

My first flight test in my back garden was completely sheltered from the wind (other than its own propwash) and had virtually no yaw wobble:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbijTFLdxNU[/youtube]

Has anyone tried applying IS to the already-stable-except-a-little-wiggle-in-yaw footage shot with the RP gimbal? Intuitively it seems like removing yaw jitter should be relatively easy (since the image is already stable in pitch and roll) and so hopefully there would be less artifacts, but intuition is often wrong...

I'd like to repeat that test myself....I have a Vision, and a mirror....just need a Gimbal! ...patiently waiting #463 :D

8ye.gif

The Rookie

Me too. Some old hand P1 guys told me I will never be satisfied with every level of attainment in this hobby and I didn't believe them. And whilst I'm perfectly happy going 2500ft away now, and don't want any more speed it's taken me 3 weeks to go from happy with my camera as is, to amazed with my camera with a Rotorpixel, to thinking that the third-axis upgrade will make it perfect and I won't need to do anything else... Yeah, right. ;)

Pull_Up said:
Me too. Some old hand P1 guys told me I will never be satisfied with every level of attainment in this hobby and I didn't believe them. And whilst I'm perfectly happy going 2500ft away now, and don't want any more speed it's taken me 3 weeks to go from happy with my camera as is, to amazed with my camera with a Rotorpixel, to thinking that the third-axis upgrade will make it perfect and I won't need to do anything else... Yeah, right. ;)

Computer software (Photoshop) could probably fix the shortcomings of the Gimbal...But that's no fun! ;)

RCRookie said:
Pull_Up said:

Computer software (Photoshop) could probably fix the shortcomings of the Gimbal...But that's no fun! ;)

True, but I run neither an operating system that Photoshop talks too, nor a computer powerful enough to make it a pleasant experience if it did!

Pull_Up said:

I know it! Part of me is tempted to order a Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal and keep my Vision/Rotorpixel as a back up or sell it. Honestly, the only reason I haven't justified this is I have had many dealers say the same thing, The Vision camera takes better still shots (plus DNG) and the Go-Pro takes better video. Why can't it be simple!

tedw123 said:
I know it! Part of me is tempted to order a Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal and keep my Vision/Rotorpixel as a back up or sell it. Honestly, the only reason I haven't justified this is I have had many dealers say the same thing, The Vision camera takes better still shots (plus DNG) and the Go-Pro takes better video. Why can't it be simple!

Vision + lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Took my P2V/RotorPixel to the park on a slight breeze day. Nothing special or anything fancy.
I got the screws adjusted just right, no jello or any vibrations, perfect. Except for the pilot ;)

I love my RotorPixel :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbQkNOEkRM[/youtube]

I uploaded it 1080p but I get this awful quality :(

Pull_Up said:
I'm trying to avoid nausea by making these wobbles into pendulous swings which is why I'm wary of turning the gains down too much! The side-to-side we all see in all our videos - unless you have a three axis gimbal - is caused by the aircraft correcting to keep the camera facing where you put it. It's not so noticeable with the stock setup because there is so much camera shake the eye can't really see it. Because it's relying on compass and gyro data to hold the camera pointing in one direction it can't be so accurate and quick reacting that it won't wobble a little in windy conditions. If you see this video I took the other weekend in much calmer conditions you'll see there is much less - the Vision wasn't having to work so hard:

My first flight test in my back garden was completely sheltered from the wind (other than its own propwash) and had virtually no yaw wobble:
Simon - were you flying in GPS mode for these? Wouldn't flying in ATTI help reduce the yaw movements - since in theory it should no longer care about maintaining course & heading?

MattOlieman said:
Took my P2V/RotorPixel to the park on a slight breeze day. Nothing special or anything fancy.
I got the screws adjusted just right, no jello or any vibrations, perfect. Except for the pilot ;)

I love my RotorPixel :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbQkNOEkRM[/youtube]

I uploaded it 1080p but I get this awful quality :(

Matt:

What was your shipping number, and when did you get it?
I'm just getting impatient I guess...lol

James :D

No, ATTI mode still holds orientation - otherwise you'd spin around like a top with cross winds. That's why I used to use ATTI mode in the days BRG (Before Rotorpixel Gimbal) - it would level out the horizon whilst cutting down on the jerking around associated with holding station in GPS but keeping the nose pointed in the same direction...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor