Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

GetaGrip said:
Just received a call from Keri and he is very sorry that this has happened and has promised to make good and get me back in the air as soon as possible.

Any word on why it happened? With my good fortune I'll be the next one it happens to if it's luck of the draw.

Good to hear of the rapid response from Keri. On the call, could you hear the production line clicking away in the background or the sounds of crystal poring in the champagne room ? ;)

jadebox said:
Bigvern said:
I think it's about 364/365

T-minus four and counting ..... for me!

I'm very impressed by the videos posted so far. Even without changing settings, reducing the yaw problems "in post" will be much easier and more effective than stabilizing the video from the camera with the original gimbal was. And stills are going to be easier to frame and won't have to be cropped as much to remove the tilt.

-- Roger

Im getting close too only 188 to go! :mrgreen:

GetaGrip said:
Well so much for that, received my gimbal today. Performed and entered settings in Vision assistant, disconnected. Removed phantom battery, removed camera, installed gimbal as instructed, performed connections as instructed, installed camera and balanced.

Powered everything up and NO gimbal initiation and no camera. Powered down, removed battery, reconnected Phantom camera cable direct to camera and now the camera is dead as well (no LED). :evil:

Digging deeper and pulling the camera cable to test, wish me luck.

After all the waiting, I feel for you. Hope its simple.

GneeChee said:
What could cause something like that?

Some things that would cause that: All of which is what I have done in my past installation/testing/troubleshooting.

Plugging in a cable with a miswire between Vcc and something with low resistance to ground
Plugging in something backwards.
Miswire on a connector.
A short between 2 pins on a connector.
A short on the mother board.
Shorting between Vcc and Ground on a motherboard.
A clipped lead from a resistor gets stuck under a component and comes loose, then shorts across two leads.
Thats all I remember I screwed up in my past :) Oh there is more just can't remember.

:?
WeaponsHot said:
jadebox said:
Bigvern said:
I think it's about 364/365

T-minus four and counting ..... for me!

I'm very impressed by the videos posted so far. Even without changing settings, reducing the yaw problems "in post" will be much easier and more effective than stabilizing the video from the camera with the original gimbal was. And stills are going to be easier to frame and won't have to be cropped as much to remove the tilt.

-- Roger

Im getting close too only 188 to go! ::

Me too, only 160 or so. Planning some great shots of the fall colours. :?

cavaleiro01 said:
WeaponsHot said:
AndySwe said:
Couldnt wait anymore , Orderd 2 seconds ago #826 :)

My Number is 553 and this is what I got on March 7
There are still around 200 orders ahead of yours, so it'll still be at
least 3-5 weeks before yours will ship out. This is just a ballpark
figure though, since we have not nailed down exactly how many we'll be
able to produce each week yet.

These folks at Rotorpixel are great, seem to listen to the customer and very responsive and I'll bet that quality mindset carries over into their product. Just Saying.

3 days ago, I sent this mail to Keri/Rotorpixel:

"Keri, good evening:

Any update on the gimbal? When do you foreseen it to be sent my way?

Thanks for a realistic estimated date..."

Still no reply...

Not good! Not happy... :evil: :evil:

My number, 477...

This is how you should not treat your customers....

Bummer must be busy making our Gimbals

RCRookie said:
I'd like to see some Camera antenna tests from side on/side off, to see how the gimbal motor affects range, or if anyone knows the parameters of their own crafts range before Gimbal and post Gimbal. It would be interesting to know for us newbies. :oops:

Thanks,
The Rookie
I believe Pull_up already said he plans to do some tests on this. But he uses a high gain antenna

I keep saying that Keri make a huge mistake in rushing this to market without sufficient inventory to start shipping knowing the amount of orders that would be placed. He has been playing catchup since day one.. another mistake is you Never Ever charge a customer before you are ready to ship.. if he needed capital to ramp production then he should have gotten a loan. charging customers and making them wait months for a product is just wrong.

Ohh I never placed an order!!! I got a 3Dpower gimbal friday already shipped, be here on Thursday. So yeah i can understand if people are getting impatient and pissed off. they have a right to.. Just saying :roll:

rfernandez said:
I keep saying that Keri make a huge mistake in rushing this to market without sufficient inventory to start shipping knowing the amount of orders that would be placed. He has been playing catchup since day one.. another mistake is you Never Ever charge a customer before you are ready to ship.. if he needed capital to ramp production then he should have gotten a loan. charging customers and making them wait months for a product is just wrong.

Ohh I never placed an order!!! I got a 3Dpower gimbal friday already shipped, be here on Thursday. So yeah i can understand if people are getting impatient and pissed off. they have a right to.. Just saying :roll:

It's technically a kickstarter campaign but was marketed more like they could start the production ramp immediately without concern. I still say Keri didn't expect the demand so you can't fault him much. Communication is the key going forward if he wants to keep the heat off and be successful.

We have never needed the capital to produce this product, and this is not meant to be a "kickstarter campaign". We had no idea the scale of demand that there is for this product, so were/are overwhelmed with the response. We thought that we'd be able to keep up with sales, since we already had (what we thought was) a rough idea of the market, given the sales numbers of our previous gimbals... boy were we wrong.

I hate more than anything having customers waiting for our product to ship, and am doing everything in my power to get things resolved swiftly. As I've said several times, if the wait is too much, or anyone wants switch over to another product, I'm happy to arrange refunds immediately. This is not a threat - it's a gentle reminder that you're not obligated to keep your order in place, and that we would never keep your money without the intention of delivering a high-quality product as quickly as we can.

We're moving as quickly as we can. The last shipment was #364 which shipped out on this past Friday. This week, we hope to send out another 20-30 units, but we'll see where we actually end up in a few days. Physically screwing components together is the easiest portion of the assembly process, which is what I think is what some of you think we mean when we are talking about assembly. However, there are LOTS of things that need to be done before getting to the final screwing together phase of assembly. We're still confident that numbers will max out at around 100 per week though, but we are being careful, and adding more quality control checks each day to help make sure that a perfect gimbal is produced every time. The quantity of gimbals that resellers (including B&H photo) are going to need, demand this sort of repeatability/reliability.

Regarding the tiny capacitor blowing on the main P2V board - this is an inherent problem with the P2V. Even without a gimbal, inserting/removing the cable from the back of the camera is a very dangerous action, which can torch the small capacitor shown in the image from a previous post. Whether this is a result of a short-circuit in the gimbal, or not is yet to be determined, but nonetheless, we are resolving the matter immediately.

More info soon.

Keri

Rotorpixel said:
We have never needed the capital to produce this product, and this is not meant to be a "kickstarter campaign". We had no idea the scale of demand that there is for this product, so were/are overwhelmed with the response. We thought that we'd be able to keep up with sales, since we already had (what we thought was) a rough idea of the market, given the sales numbers of our previous gimbals... boy were we wrong.

I hate more than anything having customers waiting for our product to ship, and am doing everything in my power to get things resolved swiftly. As I've said several times, if the wait is too much, or anyone wants switch over to another product, I'm happy to arrange refunds immediately. This is not a threat - it's a gentle reminder that you're not obligated to keep your order in place, and that we would never keep your money without the intention of delivering a high-quality product as quickly as we can.

We're moving as quickly as we can. The last shipment was #364 which shipped out on this past Friday. This week, we hope to send out another 20-30 units, but we'll see where we actually end up in a few days. Physically screwing components together is the easiest portion of the assembly process, which is what I think is what some of you think we mean when we are talking about assembly. However, there are LOTS of things that need to be done before getting to the final screwing together phase of assembly. We're still confident that numbers will max out at around 100 per week though, but we are being careful, and adding more quality control checks each day to help make sure that a perfect gimbal is produced every time. The quantity of gimbals that resellers (including B&H photo) are going to need, demand this sort of repeatability/reliability.

Regarding the tiny capacitor blowing on the main P2V board - this is an inherent problem with the P2V. Even without a gimbal, inserting/removing the cable from the back of the camera is a very dangerous action, which can torch the small capacitor shown in the image from a previous post. Whether this is a result of a short-circuit in the gimbal, or not is yet to be determined, but nonetheless, we are resolving the matter immediately.

More info soon.

Keri

Great "needed" update for the masses. I never thought you were strapped for the cash and was just poking a joke. The marine company makes enough and then some to support the development of the product. Congrats on the banging demand! Hey, I work for gimbals. Let me know if you need a PR guy. :p

gfredrone said:
BigSky said:
Precisely. I talked in length with a DJI tech about this problem, also about slowing down the yaw so it doesn't spin like a top when you want to slow pan. I haven't had time to do the tuning, but hope to get to it soon. I like a very slow pan, not so touchy, so the Yaw needs slowing down which will involve tuning the channels on all 4 motors CCW and CW.

Will you share what they walked you through here? Really don't want to wait on hold for hours. Also that's kind of what this whole message board community thing is about. You know, to help each other out from both the teacher and student side. Come on man share the knowledge. Don't make me listen to elevator music and the call queue lady again.

I talked with them 2 months ago, and didn't take good notes, but as I remember, it was not very difficult. I sent him a message just a minute ago and asked him to refresh me on it. When he gets back to me, I will do mine, then share it with you guys.
The reason I didn't do it at the time is because I had to send my P2V into them to warranty a motor. This is how I became acquainted with the techs.
Any way, I have not been flying since then because the shaky video nauseates me and I wanted to wait for the gimbal. I will do a screen video and share the procedure with you when I do mine.

Rotorpixel said:

More info soon.

Keri

If you just keep us posted on your progress and some weekly tracking numbers, that's about all I need.

I just emailed them today to find out how long for delivery. I need a gimbel by the end of the month. If I can't get Rotorpixels then I will have to find another. Tarco's looks more complicated to install.

Rotorpixel said:

More info soon.

Keri

Keri, I have been in contract manufacturing (electronic manufacturing services) for a lot of years, and when the pressure is on, I have seen my folks cut corners to make the numbers (shipments and dollars). You are doing the right thing by adding the additional quality checks and being methodical. As a quality if have had knock down drag outs with ops managers trying to make the number and sacrifice quality in the process. The Last thing a company wants is to tarnish its name by shipping rushed out the door product. Stay the course please. Good Job. 188 to go :) My 2 cents as if you needed it.

brushlesheaven said:
I have seen RP unpacking videos but only the part when you guys are taking the hardware out of the white box.
Can someone please explain how well the package was done and how, before you get to the inside part of the white box.
Was it protected well against the harsh handling of certain shipping personnel?
maybe picture or two before you get to the white box please?
Thanks

Hello. In my video I mentioned that the shipping box was filled with styrene packing beans all around the white box, which was full of beans. Mine went through the hands of two national post offices unscathed - surely the ultimate test!

brushlesheaven said:
I have seen RP unpacking videos but only the part when you guys are taking the hardware out of the white box.
Can someone please explain how well the package was done and how, before you get to the inside part of the white box.
Was it protected well against the harsh handling of certain shipping personnel?
maybe picture or two before you get to the white box please?
Thanks

Hello. In my video I mentioned that the shipping box was filled with styrene packing beans all around the white box, which was full of beans. Mine went through the hands of two national post offices unscathed - surely the ultimate test!

Vicrimo said:
...Got mine today. Installed it but didn't have time to take out for a test flight. Will head out tomorrow.
Vicrimo, your black gimbal & Vision w/black stripes looks pretty cool! Much better looking than I thought it would. Nice pic!

WeaponsHot said:
...Stay the course please. Good Job. 188 to go :) My 2 cents as if you needed it.
++1 and... Hear, here!

iDrone :!:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3