Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Old Gazer said:
I had to do a small amount of trimming to get it to fit in my Trade Craft case with gimble on. Just turn it around with the front facing the rear of the case. The gimble will fit in the slot designed for the battery while inserted in the Vision. The slot is plenty deep with room to spare, but because the camera on gimble is off center, the slot is not quite wide enough. I had to trim about a half inch off the right side to make it fit. An easy trim job.

Thanks for that insight. I have the same case so I will expect to modify appropriately.

Well, I am patiently waiting for my RP (order 621).....I live just outside Metro Toronto and hesitated to jump in at the start of the orders. Oh well, except for the lack of the RP and the bitterly cold weather this winter, my adult son and I have had a ball starting with the Heli-Max 1Si which got me really interested in a larger flying quad with video, hence the Phantom 2 Vision.....then, my son decided to buy a DJI F550 kit and asked if I could help him assemble it, especially the soldering parts......I used to make circuit boards years ago so soldering comes easy to me.

Here is a link to a compilation of videos from multiple sources of mine. We are really looking forward to the RotorPixel, and of course spring!

Here's a link to my first attempt (sans-RP) video editing. I will be happy to lose the roll and some of the pitch in the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOHDXzKvado

Old Gazer said:
GetaGrip said:
Well so much for that, received my gimbal today. Performed and entered settings in Vision assistant, disconnected. Removed phantom battery, removed camera, installed gimbal as instructed, performed connections as instructed, installed camera and balanced.

Powered everything up and NO gimbal initiation and no camera. Powered down, removed battery, reconnected Phantom camera cable direct to camera and now the camera is dead as well (no LED). :evil:

Digging deeper and pulling the camera cable to test, wish me luck.

Just got mine today as well and have it installed and working. Be sure the plug cable form the Phantom to the gimbal board is in all the way. I found it took a pretty hard push to get it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, Old Gazer I was very particular of ensuring that all connectors were fully inserted and yes it was a firm click on the gimbal controller board. Upon further investigation it is my main controller board that is now fried next to the camera cable socket. I also checked the camera output from the gimbal controller and I'm only getting less than 2 ohms resistance so almost a complete short.
IMG_0926.JPG

What could cause something like that?

GneeChee said:
What could cause something like that?

NEVER power the gimbal *without* the Vision camera installed. Doing so can cause damage to the motors, which is not covered by warranty.

NEVER plug in the vision camera cable while the Phantom 2 Vision is powered up! This can cause permanent damage to the camera and/or internal components of the P2V.

NEVER disconnect/connect any other cables to/from the FC200/gimbal control board/IMU while the system is powered up.

or just plain bad luck...

Did you pull the battery before hooking everything up?

Edit: Nevermind I see you said you removed battery before installing now.

I'd like to see some Camera antenna tests from side on/side off, to see how the gimbal motor affects range, or if anyone knows the parameters of their own crafts range before Gimbal and post Gimbal. It would be interesting to know for us newbies. :oops:

Thanks,
The Rookie

WeaponsHot said:
AndySwe said:
Couldnt wait anymore , Orderd 2 seconds ago #826 :)

My Number is 553 and this is what I got on March 7
There are still around 200 orders ahead of yours, so it'll still be at
least 3-5 weeks before yours will ship out. This is just a ballpark
figure though, since we have not nailed down exactly how many we'll be
able to produce each week yet.

These folks at Rotorpixel are great, seem to listen to the customer and very responsive and I'll bet that quality mindset carries over into their product. Just Saying.

3 days ago, I sent this mail to Keri/Rotorpixel:

"Keri, good evening:

Any update on the gimbal? When do you foreseen it to be sent my way?

Thanks for a realistic estimated date..."

Still no reply...

Not good! Not happy... :evil: :evil:

My number, 477...

This is how you should not treat your customers....

cavaleiro01 said:
WeaponsHot said:
AndySwe said:
Couldnt wait anymore , Orderd 2 seconds ago #826 :)

My Number is 553 and this is what I got on March 7
There are still around 200 orders ahead of yours, so it'll still be at
least 3-5 weeks before yours will ship out. This is just a ballpark
figure though, since we have not nailed down exactly how many we'll be
able to produce each week yet.

These folks at Rotorpixel are great, seem to listen to the customer and very responsive and I'll bet that quality mindset carries over into their product. Just Saying.

3 days ago, I sent this mail to Keri/Rotorpixel:

"Keri, good evening:

Any update on the gimbal? When do you foreseen it to be sent my way?

Thanks for a realistic estimated date..."

Still no reply...

Not good! Not happy... :evil: :evil:

My number, 477...

This is how you should not treat your customers....

He needs to put a bulk update system in place with a now shipped counter. I assume he doesn't have time to sit around and respond to emails from impatient buyers all day. Me included.

I'm also guessing he underestimated the demand and is currently in freak out mode figuring out how to ramp production. He might be in china right now setting up the production line. :lol:

Waiting for a reply, even a vague one, for 3 days, is being impatient?

Then I guess we are all impatient customers...

GetaGrip said:
Old Gazer said:
GetaGrip said:
Well so much for that, received my gimbal today. Performed and entered settings in Vision assistant, disconnected. Removed phantom battery, removed camera, installed gimbal as instructed, performed connections as instructed, installed camera and balanced.

Powered everything up and NO gimbal initiation and no camera. Powered down, removed battery, reconnected Phantom camera cable direct to camera and now the camera is dead as well (no LED). :evil:

Digging deeper and pulling the camera cable to test, wish me luck.

Just got mine today as well and have it installed and working. Be sure the plug cable form the Phantom to the gimbal board is in all the way. I found it took a pretty hard push to get it in.

Yes, Old Gazer I was very particular of ensuring that all connectors were fully inserted and yes it was a firm click on the gimbal controller board. Upon further investigation it is my main controller board that is now fried next to the camera cable socket. I also checked the camera output from the gimbal controller and I'm only getting less than 2 ohms resistance so almost a complete short.
IMG_0926.JPG

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully Rotorpixel will make good for it.

cavaleiro01 said:

It was the weekend and he's been at the club making it rain! No time for emailing back impatient PAYING customers. :p

Seriously though I'm just as impatient as the next guy and have real world money making projects waiting on this gimbal. I wasn't calling you impatient.

To RotorPixel :

Can we get a production update and a now serving sign on the website?

gfredrone said:
BigSky said:
The GPS doesn't correct for Yaw.

Correct. It does not correct for yaw. This is a matter of pilot control. And as Simon mentioned, the control is a little sensitive. It's possible to adjust the sensitivity in the assistance program but more likely you just need to be very gentle on the yaw control

Correct, that's what I stated earlier, and that Symon hit it on the head. It'll be interesting to see how it settles down after widening the dead band on that channel. With the videos I'm seeing the sideways twitching, there is no wind at all.

Bigsky are you talking about adjusting the yaw settings of the P2V in the assistant application, because there is nothing that can be adjusted on the gimbal being there is no 3rd axis.

I think this is where we were getting confused.

Precisely. I talked in length with a DJI tech about this problem, also about slowing down the yaw so it doesn't spin like a top when you want to slow pan. I haven't had time to do the tuning, but hope to get to it soon. I like a very slow pan, not so touchy, so the Yaw needs slowing down which will involve tuning the channels on all 4 motors CCW and CW.

BigSky said:
gfredrone said:
BigSky said:
The GPS doesn't correct for Yaw.

Correct. It does not correct for yaw. This is a matter of pilot control. And as Simon mentioned, the control is a little sensitive. It's possible to adjust the sensitivity in the assistance program but more likely you just need to be very gentle on the yaw control

Correct, that's what I stated earlier, and that Symon hit it on the head. It'll be interesting to see how it settles down after widening the dead band on that channel. With the videos I'm seeing the sideways twitching, there is no wind at all.

Bigsky are you talking about adjusting the yaw settings of the P2V in the assistant application, because there is nothing that can be adjusted on the gimbal being there is no 3rd axis.

I think this is where we were getting confused.

Precisely. I talked in length with a DJI tech about this problem, also about slowing down the yaw so it doesn't spin like a top when you want to slow pan. I haven't had time to do the tuning, but hope to get to it soon. I like a very slow pan, not so touchy, so the Yaw needs slowing down which will involve tuning the channels on all 4 motors CCW and CW.

Is it something we can do with the software?

cavaleiro01 said:

Remember, its not being built in a Chinese sweatshop. It's being built in Mississauga which is really Toronto. And, as Toronto is the centre of the Universe (ask any Torontionan), they take weekends off.

I have seen RP unpacking videos but only the part when you guys are taking the hardware out of the white box.
Can someone please explain how well the package was done and how, before you get to the inside part of the white box.
Was it protected well against the harsh handling of certain shipping personnel?
maybe picture or two before you get to the white box please?
Thanks

Precisely. I talked in length with a DJI tech about this problem, also about slowing down the yaw so it doesn't spin like a top when you want to slow pan. I haven't had time to do the tuning, but hope to get to it soon. I like a very slow pan, not so touchy, so the Yaw needs slowing down which will involve tuning the channels on all 4 motors CCW and CW.[/quote]

Is it something we can do with the software?[/quote]

Yes, if you cal DJI and get to a tech, they can step you through it.

BigSky said:

Is it something we can do with the software?

Yes, if you cal DJI and get to a tech, they can step you through it.

Will you share what they walked you through here? Really don't want to wait on hold for hours. Also that's kind of what this whole message board community thing is about. You know, to help each other out from both the teacher and student side. Come on man share the knowledge. Don't make me listen to elevator music and the call queue lady again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WI.Drone pilot